Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #1

Traveling from Florida to New York City - Any Roads We Should Avoid?

This is our 2nd time renting a 29' Class C Motorhome for our summer vacation. We are leaving in about a week and traveling from the West Coast of Florida to New York City area. Actually to Croton on Hudson area. Is there any routes/roads we should avoid with a motorhome? This is our first time driving this route period and I wanted to get some advice before we leave. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I95 is not a bad road. We drove it last year from Key Largo FL to Maine. You should go around NYC, there are bridge and tunnel restrictions on motor homes. More specifically, propane tanks are classed as Hazmat.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #3

Stay in new jersey, route 287 or it might might be rte 9 check the maps, to connect with the tappan zee bridge; cross into NYS at rockland county, cross the tappan zee bridge, then north on route 9 to croton on hudson, a little bit out of the way, but you will avoid all NYC madness...have a safe trip! Don't forget to stop at south of the border!
Old 07-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
In Baltimore propane is not allowed in the tunnel. Also the Washington/ Baltimore area and the NJ Turnpike has quite a bit of traffic.

I prefer to drive around those areas by using from Fredericksburg, Va on I95 to 17 and I66 to I81 to I78 in Pa to I287 in NJ. Then use the Tappan Zee bridge
Old 07-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
From FL to NC/VA line is not a big deal. North of Fredericksburg is where you start to wish you'd flown. My .02 cents: Get on 301 North after you get into VA - it's a much more relaxed drive in ANY type of vehicle, a few slow areas where you go through town but far less frantic and hectic than 95N. Stay on 301, head towards Annapolis, take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge over to the Eastern Shore, stay on 301, up through MD and Delaware, then hard-a-starboard when you hit US40 above the C&D Canal to US13, a couple of miles to the Delaware Mem Bridge, then US295 as far NORTH as you can, avoid I-95 in PA and The NJ Turnpike as long as you can. 295 takes you as far as Trenton where you don't have much choice - US 202 with a stop light every 37 feet to NYC, or the NJTP. Then use 287 and the Tappan Zee, as mentioned. What you don't want to do is the Richmond-to-Philly leg on I-95 at any time during the summer months, and almost never any other time either...
Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey
From FL to NC/VA line is not a big deal. North of Fredericksburg is where you start to wish you'd flown. My .02 cents: Get on 301 North after you get into VA - it's a much more relaxed drive in ANY type of vehicle, a few slow areas where you go through town but far less frantic and hectic than 95N. Stay on 301, head towards Annapolis, take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge over to the Eastern Shore, stay on 301, up through MD and Delaware, then hard-a-starboard when you hit US40 above the C&D Canal to US13, a couple of miles to the Delaware Mem Bridge, then US295 as far NORTH as you can, avoid I-95 in PA and The NJ Turnpike as long as you can. 295 takes you as far as Trenton where you don't have much choice - US 202 with a stop light every 37 feet to NYC, or the NJTP. Then use 287 and the Tappan Zee, as mentioned. What you don't want to do is the Richmond-to-Philly leg on I-95 at any time during the summer months, and almost never any other time either...
Yes we live in Norfolk and travel north every sept to spend the last two months up north as weather brings us down. And 95 from Richmond to anyplace north must be one of the most over worked roads on the east coast
Old 08-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmat View Post
In Baltimore propane is not allowed in the tunnel. Also the Washington/ Baltimore area and the NJ Turnpike has quite a bit of traffic.

I prefer to drive around those areas by using from Fredericksburg, Va on I95 to 17 and I66 to I81 to I78 in Pa to I287 in NJ. Then use the Tappan Zee bridge
X2; I hate, did I say hate, I95.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #8

Last year's trip to central NY, we jumped over from I 95 to I 81 in SC to go north.
Next trip I plan on trying I 75 to I 81
It does add hours and fuel to the trip, but worth it ! Lots to see, nice road, plenty of services along the way.

Half the fun is getting there !

I hate I 95 too
RMinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmat View Post

This is definitely the better way to go. Have done US 301 up thru DE but that still dumps you in the Philly/Jersey area.

95-17-66-81-78-287-Tappan Zee is the way!

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
We live in NYC (Staten Island) and in western SC. We make the trip back and forth about every three weeks. The only way I travel is i85 north to i77 north to i81 north to i78 east into i287 onto rt 440 into Staten Island where we live. It only adds about 16 miles to the trip as opposed to going i85 to i95 but saves at least an hour in traffic and quite a few dollars in tolls.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #11

We are from the NJ/Philly area and have driven 95 and 295 our whole lives. We strongly advise avoiding that entire corridor if possible.

Since this is your second time driving a rented Motorhome, my opinion is, you should follow I95 to I26, I77, I64, I81 then I78 to the NY metro area. Google maps show that route would (in a perfect world) take about an hour longer.

Missing; the traffic, road conditions, merging traffic, Washington, Baltimore, Philly, and north Jersey is well worth a few extra miles.

There are many on line route planning sites. You would be well served by checking one that shows traffic conditions during times you plan to be passing through.

Good Luck and Happy Motoring.

Tags
florida