Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

Traveling from Ma to Fort Benning GA

We're taking our first long trip from Ma to Fort Benning in GA for my sons Army basic training graduation and we're wondering what would be best route from Ma to GA. It's bad enough driving a car through NY and DC and I'd love avoid the NYC and GW bridge and Washington with the MH if at all possible. I tried a few different travel websites and they're all taking us 95 the whole way. Anyone have any good route suggestions?....

Digger29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We always take the Tappen Zee Bridge on I-287. You have to use way points on nav software to not go where you don't want to. Ft Benning has an Rv park which is in AL. Your son should be able to get you in.

U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Uchee Creek Campground/Marina

skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #3

Mike and Yolanda,

Don't even look at I-95 until you get south of NJ.
Go with I-84 to I-684 to I-287 to the Tappen Zee Bridge.
There, I have an information problem. I don't know if you can run the GSP. If not, no big thing it is just the most direct but it is also a toll road and they are sue that anybody that can afford an RV is rich.

Matt
Old 11-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #4

MA to GA

Yes you can do the Garden State Pkwy with a motor home. Did about 3 weeks ago as I was coming down from NE to Southern NJ where I live. Just follow 287 to 87 which will connnect you to the NJ Tpk and follow it south. If you can get over to Int 81 by taking 78 west then Int 81 south bypasses all the cities on the east coast including DC. Nice trip. I'm used to jersey driving with the mh having grown up here but do know it can be a little daunting to an out of stater.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #5

Affirm you can drive RV on GSP, do it often. Trucks are excluded on northern end, but buses and RV are ok. Stay in center lanes as you get closer to NJ Pike because overpasses are very low on outside lanes.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply's everyone. Skypilot, my son got us in and we're staying at Uchee Creek campground for the 2wks we're there. Definitely looking forward to hitting the road. I race MX and have made the trip south many times and it sucks in my truck pulling my trailer so I can't imagine it being any fun at all traveling through NYC with a MH. A friend in town said something like the Mass Pike to RT 84, to 87 to 81 and it will come out down in Scranton PA and then to jump on 95 below DC. Something like that anyways... :-)
Old 11-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Digger29,

I have driven this route many, many times either hauling my boat to Maine, or driving my 40' RV.

Take HIGHWAY 81, at Chattanooga take 75 South.

You will have a relatively relaxing drive and never touch 95.

No brainier.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I would stay off the GSP and this time of year off 81. 81 is in the mountains and it gets cold with unexpected storms. My route would take 87 to 287 to 206 to 295 to 301 to 50/301 to 495 to 95 to 295 (richmond bypass), to 95 to (florence) rt 20 to rt 285 around Atlanta. to 85 and to 185 destination.

reasons: fewer tolls (only one to get out of NJ), flatter roads, more walmarts and fuel stops on route, less traffic (except for around Northern VA and DC. travel there in mid-day going south. Rt 85 is an alternate but it has a lot of construction and delays and traffic.

this routing is about 1300 miles. get fuel in southern NJ off 295 for best prices near burlington nj, and later in VA if needed do a search for fuel prices on mapquest and then down in Florence right of the ext to a murphy fuel stop. get a walmar credit card for 5 Cents of each gallon. Most anywhere in SC good fuel prices. GA is staying a little high on fuel price but some remote areas have good local prices.

even if you go over to 81 and run south you will have almost 1300 miles and a lot of hills and poor quality roads.

Just my experiences and they are the best teachers.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Try the BBQ, its not bad !
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:14 PM   #10

We're leaving on Dec 1st and somebody did mention about maybe staying away from 81 because at this time of the yr we could potentially run into bad weather. Anyone use the Rand McNally Good Sam 7735 LM RV GPS that Camping World sells? It baffles me at the price of the new coach we just bought that it didn't come with GPS.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:36 PM   #11

I bought one earlier this year. The Good Sam 7735 version is said to be identical to the Rand McNally 7730 version. While you can use search on this forum to find lots of opinions pro and con for all GPS brands, Our RM works pretty well. I do just use the basic GPS rather than using all of the bells and whistles. If you buy a RM GPS, be sure to "Dock" it to get all of the upgrades. And, also take the time to understand the settings. Ours came set at "shortest route" which may not be how you want to be directed. Ask me how I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger29 View Post
... Anyone use the Rand McNally Good Sam 7735 LM RV GPS that Camping World sells?....
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
alpha99 has it right. If you choose 95 earlier, remember you have to go around Baltimore, not the tunnel, if you are carrying propane.
BoA36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:31 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I only know one other person with the name Digger. He my neighbor in Florida. I also am an MX and Enduro rider except from around late 60-70. Way to old now. See my avatar to left. Suzuki was my ride and still is except for the Harley

As for my routing offer in the earlier post let me say that we travel the NJ to Va route at least every month and have traveled the NJ to FL route at least 10 times recently. we also travel regularly to Clemson SC. Stay away from 95 in NJ and MD unless you like to pay tolls. the alternate rt 206 can be slow but only a short ride. The NJTP generally runs good speed and you can get off in Bordentown to pick up 295 to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. saves on tolls.

ON 95 in Maryland - toll at Delaware (our route gets you off just before that toll and sends you south on 301. no traffic and flat smooth road to get around Baltimore and DC. As mentioned you can not go via tunnel in Baltimore but must take the key bridge- toll- go around. later you hit DC and traffic. The very worst traffic is in VA from massassis for about 25 miles at different times of the day. Add about 1 hour to your travel for traffic slow downs and rubber banding in this area. Alternate is 301 but that can be busy too. We have used rt 1 at times.

Here is what my DW does while traveling. She uses her google search for traffic ahead. we have used this a lot to avoid traffic stops due to accidents or volume. Sometime just jumping off 95 to a parallel road and then hopping back on mostly in VA area. My garmin traffic alert is not as accurate as to what google offers.

That rt 20 out of Florence is a nice rolling road and no traffic. We were on it just last month. rt 85 is just to hilly and dense for my comfort.

Tolls are important to us since we pull a box. That normally doubles the toll. we only have one toll from NJ to FL and that is the Delaware Memorial bridge going south and coming back we get a toll at the Annapolis bridge going north. Our toll cost is less than $40 round trip.

In General - plan you route to avoid metropolitan peak traffic as it really will slow down your trip and build aggravation. We try to travel opposite to the peak traffic flow. Entering DC or Jersey area in the morning not a good idea but after 930-10 should be ok. We normally put on 500 miles a day. sometimes if the DW drives for 4 hours, we get 600 which is when we start to look for fuel as we normally take on 75-80 gallons at that time. Always get fuel before you park for the night. The generator will not run with a low gauge. Our layovers are always at Wally World as we only stop to sleep and eat.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:23 AM   #14

La Dagobago,

I do know the east coast, and your plan:
[I would stay off the GSP and this time of year off 81. 81 is in the mountains and it gets cold with unexpected storms. My route would take 87 to 287 to 206 to 295 to 301 to 50/301 to 495 to 95 to 295 (richmond bypass), to 95 to (florence) rt 20 to rt 285 around Atlanta. to 85 and to 185 destination.]

Looks real good, but it took me a while to find all the connections. Some numbered routes have multiple crossings and a state road (like 206) does not get the same treatment as an interstate. This can make things hard to find. If you include a geographic reference (like Somerville)and/or an exit nr. and a direction to take the next road, it would be easier for an individual that is unfamiliar with the area to chart his course. This is more complicated by the multiple of 295, 495 and 695s.

How do I know all about this, I wrote directions as a string, like above, for a friend (he is still a friend) and did not include directions (as in I-95W to I-295S) and got a call late at night. We burned a bunch of his minutes trying to find out where he was and how to fix it. Now everything gets a direction and an exit number (that I didn't used to even know) and often a city reference. Even still, I got messed up someplace because the interstate exit numbers can change at stated borders.....

This is not intended to discourage or criticize your help, just to help your help be more effective. And, we are planning a possible route like that in the future.

Also.. Do you get Google traffic from Google maps? Or how? I agree that the Garmin feature is not all that informative. It has told us traffic was bad in a area and we knew this first hand as we were already stuck.

Matt

Tags
travel