Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #1

Traveling from Myrtle Beach to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

Vacationing to Myrtle Beach in June and thought about venturing over to the Gatlinburg area. My question is what kind of grades am I looking at traveling through the Smokey's? Just a question of curiosity.
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
Vacationing to Myrtle Beach in June and thought about venturing over to the Gatlinburg area. My question is what kind of grades am I looking at traveling through the Smokey's? Just a question of curiosity.
Some at 6% but shorter than out west. Cant remember them as they did not bother me. Your challenger should do fine!
Others may have hit more of them than I did.
Yer gonna liiiike it there!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Myrtle Beach to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

FYI. DH and I do this trip often in our MH & towed. Plot your route to I-26 in NC towards Asheville where you pick up I-40 towards TN border. Going down the mtn grade towards TN is much more noticeable than the up grades coming from Asheville but easily doable; you even get to go through a tunnel on the way down! May I suggest staying at Bear Cove Resort just outside Dollywood? Easy in/out, very clean, reasonable and great folks. It is our favorite place to stay in the area. It is also right on the trolley run so you don't have drive towed anywhere if you don't want to. You'll want to exit off I-40 at the exit for the huge Bass Pro Shop (don't recall exit #), turn left back over hwy towards Pigeon Forge. Of course I also have to recommend you take a day to drive to Townsend, TN via Wears Valley Road so you can go to Cades Cove in GSMNP. There are several camp grounds on that side of the mtn, too, if you don't want to be in the 'touristy' area...depends on your taste. I'd rather spend a day exploring the Cove (haven't had one trip yet we've not seen bear, turkey & deer); great hiking. We've done both am/pm trips into the Cove. One note: the 11 mile loop road through the Cove is closed to all but bicycle traffic on Saturday mornings until 10am. If you really want the contrast between beaches/mountains it doesn't get any better than this!
cookingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #4

Thank you both for the replies. The grades do not bother me either. The DW...different story. I am checking on CG's as we speak. Most of them seem very nice. My next decision as we are traveling from Ohio....beach first or the mountains? Decisions...decisions....
Old 03-17-2013, 02:46 AM   #5

Something else I was wondering...is there any POI along the way or at least anything worth stopping at between Gatlinburg and MB? The reason I ask is we have 2 weeks to travel.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #6

The Aurora Fossil museum. Aurora NC. Great museum.
You get to find fossils in a phosphate pile. They provide the tools. Great fun and FREE
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You can stop and visit us for a few days! We're not far off I26, between Columbia and Spartanburg.

Lake Greenwood (formerly Cane Creek)
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #8

Your place looks beautiful! We may just take you up on that...lol!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #9

If you have never been to the Biltmore in Asheville... It is a must see!!
Easy in n out for RV's n a wonderful experience!
Take the tour of the house n grounds n be sure to get the headset for the radio guided tour
You will be amazed at the ingenuity of Commodore Vanderbilt and remember it was all done by hand... No doziers or heavy machinery back then.
You will not be dissappointed
Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #10

We run that way on a yearly basis. I-40 S to I-26. Great rest spot in the middle of the gorge. Last hill down heading south from Asheville Prob longest grade down. Nice state park in Greenville. In Myrtle we stay at the state park. We book well in advance to get a spot we like (booked for July about 3 months ago). So much to do in the Myrtle Beach area. From North Myrtle to Murrells Inlet(some great seafood places). If you golf, check out Indigo Creek for their Saturday Scramble special. Awesome deal, excellent people. On way home will take either the I-20 or the I-85 to Atlanta, then the I-75 up into Tennessee. Off I-20 (north) some nice state parks and reasonable priced golf just as you get into Georga. Been doing this route (with variation in exploring along the way, couple of months each year) since 2004 and don't think the DW and I will ever tire of it. Nothing like the fresh peaches and peacons along the way.
luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
Your place looks beautiful! We may just take you up on that...lol!
I promise a boat ride if you stop by.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-17-2012.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	35056  
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote