Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
Traveling HWY 1 from San Francisco - North

Hi all, i have a 37' MH towing a Jeep. I am planning to travel North to Oregon. I was told the 15-20 miles stretch HWY 1 north of the Golden Gate is too narrow for my MH, and I should take HWY 101.
I was told the same going north from LA to Big Sur also. I had no issues doing so.
Please share your experience.

Nxkharra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
I would NOT recommend the stretch from Ft. Bragg to Leggett. We did it with a 17' TT and thought we were going to meet ourselves on some of the turns. But, you can take 30 back to 101 to avoid that stretch. Other than that, the road from SFO to Ft Bragg seemed OK but we were not thinking class A at that point.

coupevilleDF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:04 PM   #3
That's narrow road. I would unhook the jeep for that stretch of road and have the co-pilot drive behind you. It's easier to drive North as the mountains are on the right. Southbound is a little concerning as the road twists and turns can't seem the shoulder, mostly cliffs.
Drive carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Gary CA
2016 Fleetwood Southwind 34A
2011 Toyota Tacoma
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:08 PM   #4
Master of Disaster

It's definitely tighter than the Cambria-Monterey stretch. That portion of Hwy 1 is quite driveable, as you said, although there are a lot of places requiring significant concentration (and going south, great trust from your passenger in you).

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:23 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
IF you decide to do it (I just returned from there) plan on being the most unpopular driver on the 1. You will be crawling with a line of cars behind you a mile long. Its a beautiful drive, we drove in our toad first to see if the coach was a possibility. In the toad my wife was a nervous wreck, no way I would even try in the coach. The 101 is a beautiful drive as well, we drove up from L.A to San Fran on the 101 and its quite beautiful.
2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ Cummins ISC 330
2013 Ford Escape Toad on a Triple Crown Car Hauler
Reelgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:31 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
We took Hwy 1 from Ventura CA to the tip of WA in a 40 ft MH towing. That stretch you speak of was posted "not recommended for vehicles over 35 ft." so we took 101 for that short stretch. After driving the hair pins in the Ft Bragg area, I feel I didn't miss anything. I figured the sign was posted for a reason.
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:15 AM   #7
Well we did it in a 36' coach pulling a toad three years ago.

Quite tight but can be done. We did several mile of it then decided it was not worth it. Always looking around next corner and not easy to view the scenery do to bring busy driving.

Very beautiful. I d probably drive it in the toad. We moved over to 101.

ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
We drove all the way from Oregon to San Fransisco on HWY 1 in a 33' rented class C before buying our current class A. Beautiful drive, awesome views along the cliffs southbound, but I wouldn't do it pulling a toad.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:22 AM   #9
Thanks all. I will drive it today in our Jeep, and will go on 101 tomorrow with our coach.

Btw, heads up. not related but our Jeep was broken into in Fishermans Wharf in San Fran while parked in the street. They broke the back window and only took a traveling bike bag containing helmets, gloves, tools,....all worth nothing for them, but close to $1000 for us to replace. Had the jeep window fixed yesterday with $250 deductible. I had two sets of golf clubs worth something and they didnt take. They were looking for a quick take from a Montana license plate. Hope they enjoy what they took....they must have needed them more than me. God bless them.
It was my fault of leaving an old computer bag which I use to keep junk. They must have thought I have a laptop in there. Police said nothing should be left/exposed in the car in SF. Same as other big cities.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
I have taken the entire 1 from San Diego to mid Oregon (about 5 times). A couple years ago I towed my Camry with my 31ft class C. It is windy, but I don't think you would have any issues. If you have driven the lower part of the 1, there is no reason not to run all the way up. I will be pulling my 35ft travel trailer up there and back in the summer.
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #11

I think there is confusion about hwy 1 - it is a California state highway. Hwy 1 does not go into Oregon. US 101 goes basically from San Ysidro, CA to the upper Washington peninsula then toward Olympia. Hwy 1 is not a real good choice for an RV in the Fort Bragg area. (just my opinion).
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
I went with 31foot no toad, never again
FCSTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #13
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's a great drive if your comfortable with your rig. Drove it several times with a 37fter and toad.
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #14
We did follow your advice and came up on 101. We are in Fortuna and it was a beautiful and relaxing drive.
Thanks to all who contributed.
Will be using this as base to do Redwood National Park, or might move to Eurika to be closer.