Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #1

Traveling HWY 37/ British Columbia

Anyone ever traveled Highway 37 in British Columbia? We are going to Alaska and considering traveling back down through British Columbia using highway 37. Towns look far and few between on map. What about gas, tunnels, bridges or any other hazards? I only have a 55 gallon fuel tank and getting about 7MPG so I have limited range and dont want to push it. Traveling in June/July time period.
Thanks
Puddintang

puddintang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #2

Sorry but the road also turns into 16, same questions for that highway.
Thanks

Old 04-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not done that trip my self, but i do know other that have done it in all types of rigs from truck and campers to class A's. I'll ask around and try to get back to you on that one.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
BC Resident and have driven that road a couple of times. (been about 5 years since I did it last) From Watson Lake down to Dease lake, it is all paved 2 lane Hwy. The surface probably isn't great in all places but nothing that reducing speed can't handle. After Dease Lake (heading south), it was well graded gravel for a quite a stretch and there was a lack of any services as well although it may be paved now. The bottom line is with the road is that you may have to take it a bit slower here and there but there is nothing that should trouble you. It is beautiful country and be sure to stop in at Jade City. The is a nice Provincial Campground at Meziadin Jnct. And a handful of fishing resorts as well. As for the Hwy 16 portion. No problems at all. Make sure you have a good supply of fuel from Deas Lake onward.
Highway 37 & 37A Road Conditions
Old 04-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did some asking and looking things up for you.
HWY 37
Heading south from Watson Lk. Yk. - Dease Lk. BC. 257 km / 160 miles.
Watson Lk. Yk. Fuel, food and lodging available.

Dease Lk. BC. - Bell II Lodge 240 km / 150 miles
Dease Lk. Fuel, food and lodging available.

Bell II Lodge BC. - Hazelton BC. 297 km / 185 miles.
Bell II Lodge BC. Fuel, food and lodging available.

Hazelton BC. Fuel, food and lodging available.

You should be ok as far as fuel goes. Gas, Diesel and Propane are available in each of the above places. I would take extra fuel with you just as insurance especially if you end up stopping and doing extra site seeing in between.

You will be going through some beautiful country with lots to see.
Watch for wildlife on the road as well, particularly if you are driving at dawn and sunset.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
puddintang
In 2010 we drove 37 from Smithers to Meziadin Lake then onto 37A to Hyder.
The road was fine. As I remember there are gas stations along 37 but none on 37A until Stewart & Hyder.
Have fun
Hal
Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #7

Thanks for the info I believe we will try it.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #8

We traveled south on the Cassiar last summer(early August) and found some construction but by and large, no problem. Still some frost heaves but they pretty much fix the more severe ones by mid summer. That's why I recommend coming back that way late in the summer.

If going to Stewart/Hyder(what a beautiful drive), just past Hyder is some good bear watching and Salmon Glacier is an great toad ride and an incredible view of the glacier.

Travel east on Hwy 16 to Prince George was good with very little road work...but of course, the harsh winters make all this subject to change. Bob

BTW, we drove from Whitehorse down to Dease Lake and stayed at Mountain Shadow RV right on the lake...beautiful CG with an even better view. Also, unless you want to stay in Hyder for a few days, I'd recommend staying on the Canada side in Steward(we stayed at Bear River RV, nice park - laundry room, not so much), it may save some hassle at the border, much easier crossing in the toad. Oh yeah, Bear River is an appropriate name for the campground...not recommended to take after dark strolls.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote