Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #1

Traveling I-40

I all...novice here...34ft Winnebago Chieftain, triton v10.
Picking up I-40 at Barstow CA and heading east to Nashville TN...Any gotchas or must sees on this route I need to be aware of?
Also, is there such a thing as a map program for motorhome travel? Just went through a traumatic drive because I was stupid and trusted my basic GPS ....
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #2

If there is any way to avoid I-40 by taking parallel routes you should consider it. Our experience is that it is in pretty bad shape, especially in the right lane and has more 18 wheelers than any interstate we have ever travelled, many of whom weave across lanes while texting. Truckers just aren't, as a group, the great pro drivers they used to be.

We will be "paralleling" I-40 in a few weeks from the Texas panhandle to Albuquerque via Clovis, NM, Vaughn, NM, etc. It will be a much more enjoyable ride.

Good luck

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #3

Thanks aka, seems reasonable to use hywy 60 across nm but there are few reasonable escapes from i40 in the other states...I know what you mean about the lousy right lane...it just shakes my coach to death..Didn't want to hear that about i40...
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #4

Just inside the arizona state line Needles Ca, to Kingman Az. there is road repair down to one lane. They are repaving there. In Kingman there is a doggie park (if you travel with furry friends) about 2 miles So of 40 on Andy Devine. More repair between Flagstaff and Holbrook . Hope this helps. Joe
Old 09-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #5

We have traveled I 40 several times and agree that some areas are really washboard. The area I most dislike though is through Albuquerque, they usually have construction in the summer and traffic is bad, bad. Try to go through mid day or avoid it altogether if you can.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
The last week of July this year we took I-40 from Albuquerque to Kingman, AZ and I don't remember any problems or roadwork.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #7

I came across from Holbrook to Barstow on Aug 28th. The road work was on the east bound side. Joe
Old 09-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We traveled I40 from NC to Barstow in April. The roughest roads we encountered were in Arkansas. Otherwise, not a bad trip. Lots to see on the I40 route. Grand Canyon, Sky City in NM, Graceland in Memphis, Nashville....
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote