Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2016, 10:08 PM   #1

Traveling I-70 across northern Kansas City, Mo

Will be traveling I-70 east to west across northern part of Kansas City in about 3 months but from looking at the detailed map of Kansas City it looks like a couple of real rats nests where I-29 and I-35 crosses I-70 and I-670 comes into play. I don't particularly enjoy crossing a large city when the route is straight through but when it involves interchanges my blood pressure shoots up and the wife goes ballistic.

Has anyone done this route and lived to tell about it in a large motor home towing a 4-wheeler.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2016, 10:22 PM   #2

Looks like all you have to do is watch the signs, stay in the second lane from the right and move on through. You don't have to get on any other highway. It's always helpful to know the next big city coming up as many times the highway will put that city on a sign for you to follow; i.e. Topeka - left lane, etc.

Also, try to plan it for a Sunday morning or after 7pm

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:30 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have traveled straight through on I-70 in our 35' Class A Allegro pulling a toad and we didn't have any problems. Just take your time and as twogypsies say stay in the second lane from the right.

We went through around 11 AM.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:39 PM   #4

It has been a few years, but we have traveled that road a few times. You do have to pay attention to signs as you go from I-70 W to I-670 W and then back to I-70 W. Any good GPS should get you through with no problems.
PJStough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:17 PM   #5

Oh you guys make it sound so simple. Thanks for the help. I have a Garvin GPS but from some of the things she tries to get us to do I'm not sure how good it is. I have the navigation system in my 2015 Dutch Star but so far haven't mastered setting destinations on it.
I Googled the map and closed in real close where most of the time little arrows show the direction and lanes to be in but those two messy areas didn't show that much detail.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #6

If 'she' isn't reliable, switch to a 'he'.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #7

Our trip threw Kansas City last month was a nightmare. I-70 was closed in downtown. Had to take a route to I-435. But the route to I-435 going east was closed. Had to take I-635 to I-35 to US 69 to I-435. Very confusing when you get signs that I-70 is closed. "Choose a Alternate Route". There is a lot of construction on I-70 West of Downtown.
If you use Google Maps and tell it to show traffic you will see all the areas.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #8

If you use Google Maps in navigation mode it tells you the appropriate lanes to be in well before the maneuver. Comparatively speaking to other major cities Kansas City is not difficult to cross.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Our trip threw Kansas City last month was a nightmare. I-70 was closed in downtown. Had to take a route to I-435. But the route to I-435 going east was closed. Had to take I-635 to I-35 to US 69 to I-435. Very confusing when you get signs that I-70 is closed. "Choose a Alternate Route". There is a lot of construction on I-70 West of Downtown.
If you use Google Maps and tell it to show traffic you will see all the areas.
Thanks ron, looks like our best bet will be to take I-470 and I-435 west bound on I-70 down around the lower end of Kansas City even if it will mean a few extra miles. We just did that route from the east to reach I-35 headed southwest last week and it's not that bad.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:45 AM   #10

That the way I would go. I think our trip added about 15 minutes on a Saturday. Frustration get high when your stuck in traffic and you need to choose a new route. We were traveling West to East. Buy traffic problems were present in other direction also.

Tags
travel