Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Traveling through Chicago.

G'morning ALL you iRV2'rs !!

Say, does anybody have ideas, suggestions, and/or opinions about the best way to travel with a 45 ft. MH towing a Honda from Minneapolis (Mpls.), Minn. to Charlotte, Mich. (S. central Mich., just S. of Lansing on I-69)?? We've never taken our rig through Chicago and are trying to figure out whether it might be preferable to run over the top of Lake Mich. (ie., through the upper peninsula), from here in Mpls., then S. through lower Mich. to Charlotte, or if going through Chicago (ie., Mpls., to Madison to Janesville, WI, to Rockford, IL,) using I-90 toll road is o.k.????

Whatcha think ??? Oh, also, if the toll route through Chicago is advised, what kind of toll change is best to have available, and how many toll stations would be encountered.

Thanks for your advice.

Steve & Lynette

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Steve and Lynette:

My wife and I routinely drive from Mpls to TN via Chicago. Going through Chicago cuts our trip by 50 miles. But, we only go through Chicago during non rush hour times. We got a transponder from the Illinois toll way system so that we do NOT have to stop at the toll booths. We just put in an amount and it automatically deducts from our account when we drive past. You can figure out how much your toll will be by going to this site and using their calculator.

http://www.illinoistollway.com

Good luck,

Pat

patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Agree with patmsp , stay out of rush hour, once you hit 294 (also Toll Rd) you will have clear sailing, a little construction near Indiana border. also without transponder you will have to stop at all toll booths adds at least 1 hour to trip thru chicago and you pay twice as much in cash than if you had transponder, you can purchase at first manned booth you run across or at most oasis's. have a nice trip.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #4

I always go through downtown on I-94 and then take the Skyway

I suggest you go take both of your suggested routes ... one returning and the other going

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:35 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
I always go through downtown on I-94 and then take the Skyway

I suggest you go take both of your suggested routes ... one returning and the other going
We have a son who lives in WI north of Chicago and there are no good short bypasses north and south and I've never found a non-rush hour. The last time we came back southbound we timed it for 4 AM and that had least traffic but still not light. Going northbound, we had hit stacked up traffic and construction and spent four hours, stop and go, on the toll roads with the MH and toad.

In more recent years we've added a half day and 150 miles and circled to the west. Told son if he wanted us to visit he should move south of C.

JT
RV'nOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:24 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Might want to look at getting on I 39 south just south of beloit, IL to I 80 than east to I 69. IIRC only one toll of less than dollar. If going thru chicago don't think change for the tolls, think paper as in alot of them. Stop at your bank first.

jack
Old 05-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hey, ALL !!!

THANKS to ALL of you for the help. Some varying opinions, but REALLY good info.

IF we go that way, we DO plan on runnin the Chicago gauntlet on a Sunday. We don't usually mind running in heavy traffic, even truck traffic, through various cities, BUT, having to mess with a bunch of toll stops seems like a bunch of junk to us !! Getting that "transponder" at a toll booth sounds like a good idea, but, how much money to you need to put in your "account" on the transponder in order to get through Chicago ?? BOY, what a hassel !!!!

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Steve & Lynette
Old 05-05-2011, 05:25 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
15-20 dollars should get you thru both ways, keep in mind that the transponder is also good in In, WV, Pa, most anywhere except Florida and that is supposed to change in the near future. Enjoy you travels and have a safe trip, if you take the skyway on the chicago toll stay right all others stay left for some reason the the Chicago one is backwards, but they are marked on the overhead signs.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:38 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Went through once on a Sunday morning and thought everyone had left the city as there was almost no traffic. Must have been a fluke.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
You're sanity is more important than the time or distance saved. Definitely go over the top. It's a much more pleasant and scenic drive going through the UP, across the Mighty Mac, and south through Michigan. Just came back to West Michigan from O'Hare Airport ! What a zoo. Hardly matters, rush hour or not, and there is always construction. The Skyway was very rough in spots, as well.
Good luck.
Nice little town, Charlotte. I lived there for a few years, many years ago.
Michguy
Old 05-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
michguy:

Yup, we've been in and through the U.P. a number of times and love the area. Also, you're right....your sanity IS more important than time/distance saved....and, besides, we're RETIRED for the love of pete !!!

Thanks.

Steve & Lynette
Old 05-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Chickadee,
Minneapolis to Charlotte,,,,hmmmmm for me, that decision took about one second. Over the top. You'll enjoy the trip. I see no advantage going the southern route and so many advantages going the northern route it would take me a lifetime to type all of them.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #13

Oh come on
I'm on 294 2-3 times a week and usually drive with traffic 10mph over the speed limit. Just avoid rush hours if you want to stay out of stop and go traffic. Figure 6-9am and 4-7pm weekdays. There's also a large flow of traffic to Wisconsin on Friday night, and back later on Sunday.
A single transponder now works on most toll systems. I've used mine in the New York.
The only almost continuous bottleneck is in NW Indiana below Gary, where 80 and 90 funnel East/West traffic below lake Michigan.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #14

My situation is similar to Chickadee - I am in St Paul but heading to Niagara Falls and then Maine then down the east coast to Florida with a lot of stops on the way. So it looks like I should get the EZ pass as it will work in many north east states. I'm presuming that trying to use local highways to bypass the toll roads would not be the best way to travel long distances. In reading the information provided on the web I get confused so will ask where is the best place to purchase the EZ pass keeping in mind I'm wandering around in a largish motorhome pulling a car so parking can be a challenge. Also seems I remember reading that the location of the transponder on the motorhome might need to be located in a position different from an automobile in order to be read by the tool booth - seems like that was in a Florida posting.
Thanks
Bob

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote