Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #1

Talking Traveling through Wyoming?

Hi all,
This is the very first time I have ever done this. I have a 31 foot class C motorhome, without a tow vehicle. I plan on driving through Wyoming this summer. Cheyenne to Jackson to Yellowstone to Cody to Rapid City, SD. I am concerned about any tricky roads. Any suggestions about routes to avoid?

Thanks,
Marc
marcpohlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #2

I would stay off hwy 14-Cody to Sheridan.I think this is steep and crooked.All other roads are ok-I have been on most without any trouble.Enjoy a beautiful trip!
Old 05-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

I agree with RichR ... stay off 14 and especially 14A

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #4

one trick I learned, after my trip last summer...

When driving thru the mountains in your gas powered class C, if it appears you have no power and are only able to muster 30mph going up some of the inclines, do yourself a favor and pull over, turn the engine off and sit there for about 10-15 minutes.

Depending what elevation you started your trip that morning, you may need to let the barometric pressure sensor "acclimate" to the higher elevation. This WILL NOT cure all the issues of poor power while climbing the mountains, but it should make a small difference...

Hope this helps.. have a good trip !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
leaving Cody take 16 over to Buffalo. Little steep but a great drive. Otherwise your plans sounds just like we did it a couple of years back.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club

Driving in mountainous areas isn't tricky, but you do need to pay attention. Downshift and use a lower gear when needed. The temperature gauge will start to climb, especially when in too high a gear. Downshifting allows water pump to circulate more coolant. Going downhill, again use a lower gear and don't ride the brakes. Apply them firmly and drop speed quickly by 10 mph or so, then let foot off the pedal until you need to do it again.
For best information on the highways of Wyoming (and the rest of the West) Buy this book:

Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers

It gives full details on passes and highways.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #7

I agree that 14A is to be avoided in any type RV. But I didn't have any issue driving my MH on 14 from Greybull to Sheridan, twice going W to E. For a newcomer to mountain driving, 16 is the best option in that area.
Wy is a big state and has a lot of variety. As long as you have the time, I would encourage you to stay off the Interstates when practical. Wy has some of the best maintained secondary roads in the country. I enjoy driving the backroads and small town stops as much as the major attractions. have fun
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

For best information on the highways of Wyoming (and the rest of the West) Buy this book:

Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers

It gives full details on passes and highways.
This is very good advice. I bought the Guide last year and found to be a great resource traveling in the western states. Money well spent.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #9

“Stats” for highways 14 and 14a traveling east to west- obviously traveling west to east there is a LOT of slow climbing! On 14a you think that you are on top of the world!
Highway 14A- 10% downgrade, 3,600’ elevation drop in 10 miles!
Highway 14- 5-7% downgrade, 4,600‘elevation drop in 18 miles!
We have driven both directions on both highways, of course this is solo, have seen a few RVs doing them also but my question is WHY?
We go about 46 miles south and use #16 pulling our 5W (see sig) with an exhaust brake, not as steep but longer, all 3 routes have some 20-25 MPH turns.
Or you could head north and pick up I-90 or south and use I-80. If I remember correctly that when the I-states were built that they were limited (with some exceptions) to 5-6% grade.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #10

I 1000% agree with RichR when it comes to 14A. as back in 2003 we took 14A from Lovell to Dayton WY--BIG MISTAKE!!!!!! Should have known better when starting out on it, when I didn't see any semi's on the highway.

Made it to the top though, kinda white knuckle, not due to curves but worried might not have enough steam to make it over the grade...

Safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel