Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=whipskipper;1923151]Thank you all for the info for now I plan to stay the night in west yellowstone at the grizzly campground or the KOA then cruise through the park the following day and end up at the ponderosa in Cody WY. Then head to mount Rushmore KOA the following day. Anyone have any suggested camp spots for a one night stay between Oregon Coast and West yellowstone I except to take two days to get to yellowstone. So we will probably be staying somewhere in Idaho. From Mount Rushmore we are headed to Minnesota another 2 day trip.
You need to spend more time at each location you will regrat if you don't.
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #16

When you leave east out of Cody, I suggest you take Hwy 16 out of Greybull and head south to Worland, then east thru scenic Ten Sleep Canyon and a mighty long pull over the Beartooth Mountains to Buffalo and I-90 to Rapid City.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
When you leave east out of Cody, I suggest you take Hwy 16 out of Greybull and head south to Worland, then east thru scenic Ten Sleep Canyon and a mighty long pull over the Beartooth Mountains to Buffalo and I-90 to Rapid City.
Thank you that is a great suggestion that is the kind of info I am looking for.
whipskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:34 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
If you haven't seen Beartooth,I do not suggest driving a or pulling a RV over Beartooth take a day and drive over in your Toad or Tow first and I think you will decide to find a better way and pray for those that attempt the climb.
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
If you haven't seen Beartooth,I do not suggest driving a or pulling a RV over Beartooth take a day and drive over in your Toad or Tow first and I think you will decide to find a better way and pray for those that attempt the climb.
My bad. I had the right route, just meant to say the Bighorn Mountains. Staying on Hwy 14 east to I-90 is not a good idea.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipskipper View Post
Thank you all for the info for now I plan to stay the night in west yellowstone at the grizzly campground or the KOA then cruise through the park the following day and end up at the ponderosa in Cody WY. Then head to mount Rushmore KOA the following day. Anyone have any suggested camp spots for a one night stay between Oregon Coast and West yellowstone I except to take two days to get to yellowstone. So we will probably be staying somewhere in Idaho. From Mount Rushmore we are headed to Minnesota another 2 day trip.

Thanks again for all the great info.
Where might you be going in Minn?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Where might you be going in Minn?
Lakeland MN outside Minneapolis for a couple days hope to catch a twins game
Old 02-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #22

Quote:
My bad. I had the right route, just meant to say the Bighorn Mountains. Staying on Hwy 14 east to I-90 is not a good idea.
So you guys are recommending taking HWY 16 across big horn national park and avoid hwy 14 through big horn?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #23

Whipskipper,
Know doubt about this, take 120 north out of Cody to 72 to I-90 in Laurel, you go between the mountain ranges with no climbs till you get on I -90.
I did the Rt 14 from 90 to Cody & it was terrible!
The guy at the campground told me to go north on 120 & avoid 14 & 16, he says that's why all the brake shops are on 14 because everybody burns up there brakes coming that way.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
Whipskipper,
Know doubt about this, take 120 north out of Cody to 72 to I-90 in Laurel, you go between the mountain ranges with no climbs till you get on I -90.
I did the Rt 14 from 90 to Cody & it was terrible!
The guy at the campground told me to go north on 120 & avoid 14 & 16, he says that's why all the brake shops are on 14 because everybody burns up there brakes coming that way.
I'm not arguing, just trying to understand... (Preface, I've driven this road many times by car and once in a UHaul truck, but never in an RV Is it the leg from Sheridan to Burgess Junction (where 14 and ALT 14 converge) that is awful? I do know that's about a 5000' change in elevation, but the road is normally in decent shape and I've seen lots of RVs along the route in the scenic turnouts (maybe they're wiping the sweat off their brow, not enjoying the scenery). Is it the grade or the turns? I envision the trip through Shell Canyon being as much a white-nuckled leg as the ride down the Bighorns on 14, unless it's a matter of the grade.

Also want to be sure we're talking 14 from Cody and and not ALT 14, which, if memory serves, would certainly be no fun in the rig. Thanks to all for the discussion. I'm in the Bighorns every year but I'm usually going right up the side on the forestry road in all-wheel drive.

What about 120 south out of Cody to Casper and Douglas then up towards Rushmore? Google lists that as the first alternate to 14, and "only" adds 60 miles. Probably not many more minutes compared to crawling down 14. I'm curious about that route because potentially I'll drive up that way then swing towards Burgess Junction. Thoughts?
gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:03 AM   #25

I have never gone south of Cody on 120, I just know I personally would never go 16 or 14 east to Rapid City, did it once & that's enough for me. I also have seen many motorhomes on those highways but I've also wondered why they don't go 120 north out of Cody, doesn't make much sense to me.
If you try 16 or 14 east let me know how it went.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #26

From Buffalo and I-25, we take Hwy 16 to Worland and then north a little to Greybull and west to Cody. It's an easy drive for us.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipskipper View Post
Thanks guys I am most concerned about steep grades and narrow roads. So it sounds like the grand loop will work for us. I plan to stay one or two nights in Yellowstone looks like fishing bridge RV park is a good base camp. We might camp out at grizzly rv park the night before entering park. we are moving from Alaska to florida and this is just a stop along the way. We want to check out mount Rushmore also so I thought heading from Oregon through Yellowstone then mount Rushmore and on to florida. I just don't want to have issues holding up traffic on steep grades towing it can get stressful at times with a line of cars behind me. I have a winnebago 35J with workhorse chassis 8.1 vortec allison trans should be no problem for power. How long of drive from west entrance to east entrance?
When are you heading out? We are headed out too and yellowstone is pretty much our first stop when back in the lower 48...
alaskalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Cool, the new stadium, But they lost there opener at the new stadium
Need any help while in Minnesota give me a shout and Maybe can help ya. I'm just s short distance south of Mpls.
Take care, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel