RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #1

Traveling to Pigeon Forge In December

Hey Guys,

We are planning a short vacation in December to Pigeon Forge coming from Alabama. In the past without the 5th wheel, we would get off at the Lenoir City exit and go through Maryville, etc. Is there a more tow friendly route we could take? I go have a gasser so I would like to avoid major mounting climbing if possible? Is going up through Knoxville on 40 and coming in an easier route?

Thanks

KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Yes in December I would take 40 to Knoxville and take 441 down thru Sevierville and Pigeon Forge. jmo mark

Old 10-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We recently went through Maryville north and east bound on the way to Pigeon Forge. No way will I ever do US 321 to Wears Valley and into Pigeon Forge again-- just entirely too many hairpin very sharp curves, with traffic and too much braking.

However on the way back we came US441 to US411 into Maryville. Its a bit rural (narrow for a US highway maybe??) and not fast but much more tolerable. I'll definitely use this route in the future. We are 39 feet gasser towing a dolly with car.

I've done Knoxville in the past but I'm content and comfortable now with getting off at Lenoir City and going through Maryville using the 411 and 441 route.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Also

Notice you are south of Montgomery. Not sure if you have done it but you may want to try running up to LaGrange and catching US 27 from there north to Rome, then GA 53 to Calhoun and onto I75 for the run up to Lenoir City.

For you once you hit I-85 its 4 lane then all the way to Maryville . No traffic and no big cities, speed 55-65. Great route for RVs. Its a nice run that way.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:21 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi KHBama,
At exit 398 on I 40 there is a Pilot. Good place to fill up. I 40 to exit 407 (Rt 66) to Sevierville. There you will pick up US 441. You don't need to do anything to change routes. Just keep on, keeping on.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:53 AM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #7

I live near Lenoir City and assuming you are coming up I-75, my suggestion is to go I-40 east to TN-66 (exit 407) and follow it to Sevierville then US-441 to Pigeon Forge. If you have time while there, take a drive thru Wears Valley and take the new section of the Foothills Parkway (supposed to open Nov 11). It by-passes Townsend and the curvy switchbacks on that end of US-321 (Wears Valley Road). Then you can see if it is suitable for your RV and going the Maryville route which is several miles shorter.
Big Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #8

We were just there last week. I agree with exit 407 off of I-40. If you want to see a beautiful campground check out Anchor Down RV Resort in Dandridge on Douglas Lake.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #9

Twin River's RV Resort in Sevierville is also very nice.

Tags
travel