Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Travelling from Massachusetts to Elkhart, In.

We will be heading to Indiana from Ma. And I have been try to plot a course there. I have narrowed my choices down to where we will spend the night do that we don't make the trip in one day but it looks like Rt. 90 is for the most part the way to go. Would anyone care to tell me how they would get through the Cleveland area? Is there a route preference where one way to go is better than the other? I would like to avoid tolls if at all possible but I will travel turnpikes if I must.
I would certainly like to avoid congested areas and construction zones. Any advice will be much appreciated. I trust those here with their travel experience as opposed to my GPS!
Many thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Travelling from Massachusetts to Elkhart, In.

Hi, Mass native, just left there a few years ago. Advice initially depends on where you're starting.

If you take the Mass pike (I90) it'll be toll road all the way to Indiana. If you're starting east of Worcester, ("...easta Wista...", as we'd say) better to take the pike to Sturbridge and get on 84. If you're out by Springfield take 91 down to Hartford, then 84. Take 84 all the way to Scranton, then south on 81 to hook up with I-80. No traffic, beautiful scenery. On 80 you'll only be paying tolls in Ohio and Indiana.

80 runs south of Cleveland (no traffic), then 80 and 90 join and colocate just west of Cleveland westbound. That will be the Ohio Turnpike, then the Indiana Toll Road, so you'll have some unavoidable tolls the last 300 miles or so, unless you get onto the US Highways, which are generally pretty good, but often unpredictable.

I don't know about current construction. I'd break the trip in central PA. Done that route numerous times.

Good Luck!

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Hi, Mass native, just left there a few years ago. Advice initially depends on where you're starting.

If you take the Mass pike (I90) it'll be toll road all the way to Indiana. If you're starting east of Worcester, ("...easta Wista...", as we'd say) better to take the pike to Sturbridge and get on 84. If you're out by Springfield take 91 down to Hartford, then 84. Take 84 all the way to Scranton, then south on 81 to hook up with I-80. No traffic, beautiful scenery. On 80 you'll only be paying tolls in Ohio and Indiana.

80 runs south of Cleveland (no traffic), then 80 and 90 join and colocate just west of Cleveland westbound. That will be the Ohio Turnpike, then the Indiana Toll Road, so you'll have some unavoidable tolls the last 300 miles or so, unless you get onto the US Highways, which are generally pretty good, but often unpredictable.

I don't know about current construction. I'd break the trip in central PA. Done that route numerous times.

Good Luck!
Thank you for this. Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you on this. We are heading out the door today and will be heading to our first Winnebago rally at The Villages at Turning Stone, in Verona, N.Y. it is from there, when we head on out to Elkhart, that I will be following your directions.
Thanks for responding to this. I was getting a little concerned that nobody would. You must've took sympathy on your kindred "Mass Native."!!
Jim
BTW, Where are you in Ma.? Just wondering. We are in Uxbridge.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I-84 in Pennsylvania is under construction all the way from the New York state line to near Scranton. Bad, bad road and is both east and west bound.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Whoa!! Thanks for that tip off!!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Jim, enjoy the rally! I know Uxbridge, at least I used to. I'm from Boston, but knew a guy in the Air Force from Uxbridge, and used to drive out 109 far too often to spend time with his sister. Right now though, I'm in northern Idaho.

Verona NY. You didn't mention that little detail! That changes everything. If you're starting to IN from Verona, you're better off just staying on 90. You'll waste more time and fuel avoiding the toll roads than the tolls will cost.

Enjoy!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
JFXG,
Yea, I did leave out that important detail. :-(. Also, I just read on this thread that there is major construction on Rt. 80 in Pa. No surprise there. There seems to ALWAYS be construction down that way.
I suppose we will either take 90 and pay the tolls, or set the Rand McNally to "Avoid Toll" and take our sweet time getting there. Besides, it is the back roads that I
I seek out when traveling for the most part.
So, did you wind up marrying his sister? :-) ;-))
Thanks again!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No.... married someone else's sister.

Enjoy the trip.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #9

I use this website to learn about road construction and closures; National Traffic and Road Closure Information | Federal Highway Administration
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:05 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, we have just returned from Elkhart, In. I just wanted to say that we took the turnpikes ( Rt.90 ) all the way from Ma. to In. There really isn't any way to avoid traveling that way if you want to make time. The tolls were horrendous. In New York State we paid over $100.00 round trip while towing our Honda. A hundred bucks!! Yikes! And that was just in N.Y.. That's not counting, Ma. Pa. Oh. & In.! Sheesh, what to folks do when they want to avoid that kind of expense?
Let me guess, take your time and travel the back roads?
Old 06-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #11

86 from just north of Erie PA to Albany. No good way through the Catskills.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I see that now on my Google Maps. 86 isn't a toll road? If it isn't, that is a substantial savings on tolls. I wish I would've taken that instead.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
.....The tolls were horrendous. In New York State we paid over $100.00 round trip while towing our Honda. A hundred bucks!! Yikes!........Sheesh, what to folks do when they want to avoid that kind of expense?
Geez, I hope you at least enjoyed the trip, horizon! It would have been nice if someone could have warned you about the tolls beforehand, or maybe suggested alternate routes you could take that were almost toll-free.

Anyway, glad you made it back safe!!
Old 06-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Absolutely enjoyed the trip. It has been thus far our furthest trip to date in our short time in RVing. As I look forward to many more excursions I will become more adept at route planning. That NY toll of a hundred dinaro's was a reality slap for sure. That is why I am truly grateful to those who took the time to pass on to me and the "DW" more frugal ways of traveling.
Thanks for chiming in. It was duly noted.

Tags
travel