Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #1

Travelling From Virginia to Maine

My wife and I will be travelling in our Class A RV from Hampton, Va. to Maine the end of April. When we came down in October, we crossed the Tappan Zee bridge and came down thru Harrisburg, Pa. to pick up Route 81 south, then Route 17 to pick up Route 95 south at Fredricksburg . I would like to avoid going back over the Tappan Zee when we return and I am wondering if anyone else has any ideas for an alternate route going North to avoid the bridge and also to avoid having to go thru Washington, D.C., NJ Turnpike and going thru NYC on I-95 North ? I would appreciate any suggestions for a better route.
Thanks,
Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Your I-95 to US-17 (Fredericksburg) to I-66 to I-81 is all good, however, be advised that there is currently paving operations on the first 5 miles of US-17 (North) after you exit I-95. That "should" be done before too long???

I have continued on I-81 (North) to Scranton, PA; then take I-84 (East). You'll cross the Hudson River north of the Tappan Zee Bridge, up near Newburgh, NY.

We've stayed here: Black Bear Campground :: Nearest Full Service Campground to New York City, near Florida, NY when taking that route to New England from Fredericksburg, VA.

Take care,
Stu

Old 04-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #3

Amazon Prime

If you have Amazon Prime there is a video of just such a trip. Search for: "America's Scenic RV Adventures: Natural Wonders of the Northeast Coast." It's a little old (2006) but still worth viewing.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:17 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
dlduck-

You may want to look at posts on these recent iRV2 threads.

Heading South from New England
Pa to NH
Travel from NY to Virginia question
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dlduck...... X2 on triple 7 driver. Lived mostly my whole life around Boston, and that's been our route of choice going south for at least 35 of those years. Adds about 50 miles between Boston and DC, but well worth the trade off.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:53 AM   #6

We are going to ME this fall and the route we are taking(we don't minds extra miles or time) is this:

Starting in Williamsburg, VA, I64 to I95 to US17(Fredericksburg) to I66 to I81 to I88 to US9/US202/US4 and you end up around Portsmouth, ME.

We are still fine tuning the VT,NH end.

I think it is about 150-200 miles longer but a much more pleasant drive with minimal traffic and tolls.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:12 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sue46-

Hey, that's Portsmouth, NH, not Portsmouth, ME.

By your route through NH it seems you want to stay off the interstates. So, here's some advice: As you near the NH coast on Route 4 there's a cutoff that allows you to avoid the Route 95 hassle. Take Route 155 north in Lee, NH to Route 4 in Dover to Route 9 in North Berwick, ME to Wells. In Wells you can get on Route 95 (either direction), if you wish.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:47 AM   #8

I knew Portsmouth was in NH, just a brain problem.

It's not that we want to avoid Interstates, VT and NH don't have any E/W interstates . We want to avoid traffic as much as possible and we are never in a rush to get anyplace.

Thanks for the reroute, I'll check it out.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 04-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #9

I need to visit AAA and get some paper maps for a better view of the roads and our route. I just use the computer for the initial pass. Computer does good on Interstate travel but non-main road travel is a bit of a challenge.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 04-22-2016, 05:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I need to visit AAA and get some paper maps for a better view of the roads and our route. I just use the computer for the initial pass. Computer does good on Interstate travel but non-main road travel is a bit of a challenge.

Try Bing maps. Type in a starting & ending point, then you can modify your route by just clicking and dragging the cursor over the highlighted route. I use the satellite option to get a real feel for the secondary roads.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:26 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
We've been caught in traffic way too many times in CT so we try to avoid it by going North on 87 (NY Thruway) to just before Albany where you can cut over to I-90 (Mass Turnpike).

You pay more in tolls but its way less hassle for us.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:40 AM   #12

I just tried Bing Maps and all I get is an internal error code time out. No other explanation. I even trimmed my route from Albany,NY to Bar Harbor,ME.

I wouldn't use Bing Maps normally as it requires an internet connection which I don't have all the time. I like programs(any type) that don't require an internet connection to work.

We also try to avoid toll roads as that is such a dicey situation. We have been messed up too many times with toll roads only accepting xxTAG and no cash or license plate option. Bing does have that option, just doesn't work.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y

Tags
travel