Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Travelling to New England

Am travelling from Philadelphia to Mystic,Conn. GPS and all say to use I-95 all the way thru New Jersey, cross George Washington Bridge and thru New York. I see it on the map but not really sure I like the idea. Any suggestions?

rjmmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #2

don't have a MH yet but try to go thru on I-95 after 830 and be off by 330 -and yes it will be a Adventure before and after these times

Old 08-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #3

Monty, made the trip from DC area to White River Junction Vt a few years back. Worst part were all the tolls, I thank it was around 22.00 at the end of the NJ turn pike and then 24.00 about a mile down the road to cross the George Washington. I was pulling my Tahoe. They charge by the axle. As for as the ride going up through the cross Bronx expressway it was real bumpy and lot of pot holes. Also due to the urban environment I sure would not want to break down on the expressway. We saw numerous cars on blocks and striped out in that section of highway. Also 95 was in bad shape in Conn until I turned north on I 91. When we came back we vectored over to I-81 and came down though PA and points south. This was a few years back. Hope this info helps.

George
Old 08-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #4

I live in South Jersey and just went to Saugerties, NY(woodstock) on Sunday. I took 295 to rt 206 up to somerville circle and picked up 287 to 87(NY Thruway) and then you could cut over to Conn. Alternative if you are in Philly take 95 all way to 206 above trenton or cut over to 202 which runs into the Somerville Circle in jersey and connect to 287 and 87.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Forget about the GWB. Bad idea, almost anytime.
Continue north on the Garden State Parkway, head west to the Tappan Zee, and then follow signs for 95. You are going to get lots of suggestions to go north to I84 and other ideas. They will be farther, and not all that much better. Yes, I95 is not in great shape - but not many highways in the northeast are for that matter.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #6

FWIW for planning I often run the route in Googlemaps then move it around by dropping in POI's. It can get very interesting when dropping in the traffic and construction layers.

FWIW 2 Do not forget the Ferry service from LI to Conn. Might be worth the cost.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I live here and cross 95 every day at lunch (in Milford area). 95 is NOT the place you want to bring your RV. It's a mess. I personally would travel up to 84, go to 9 south and get to the destination from there where it merges onto 95. Between the nutty traffic and the conditions of the road and all the construction, not to mention there is no guarantee that any time during the day there won't be a traffic jam going northbound. You could spend hours waiting…

Let me put it this way - I won't put my RV on that road in CT.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I live here and cross 95 every day at lunch (in Milford area). 95 is NOT the place you want to bring your RV. It's a mess. I personally would travel up to 84, go to 9 south and get to the destination from there where it merges onto 95. Between the nutty traffic and the conditions of the road and all the construction, not to mention there is no guarantee that any time during the day there won't be a traffic jam going northbound. You could spend hours waiting…

Let me put it this way - I won't put my RV on that road in CT.
I agree. Take 84 through Danbury and then across to Middletown and south on route 9. Rte 95 and the Cross Bronx is not somewhere I would want to take my Class A, or my car for that matter.

Whenever I head west, I take 84 through to the Scranton area and then south to pick up 80. I avoid the NY armpit like the plague, especially this time of year where traffic jams can get hot and move very very slow.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmmonty View Post
Am travelling from Philadelphia to Mystic,Conn. GPS and all say to use I-95 all the way thru New Jersey, cross George Washington Bridge and thru New York. I see it on the map but not really sure I like the idea. Any suggestions?
Hi Monty,
We live in Connecticut, been RVing for years. We avoid I-95 like the plague...especially The George Washington Bridge. Problem is Philly to Ct via !-95 is the most direct.
I went to the old goodsams RV routing and did two routes
One without avoiding anything, which means I-95. It was about 230 mi and about 4 hrs.
The other was a route avoiding I-95. I just looked at the mileage and time.
UGH! I did not look at the route. Over 5 1/2 hrs and almost 300 mi.
Geeze, I'd probably go via the GW bridge.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Monty,

There is NO good route through or around NYC. Whatever you decide, remember:

1. You MUST take the upper level of the GW bridge.
2. You MUST stay on Expressways in NY, NEVER Parkways. LOW bridges on NY parkways.
3. To confuse things, the Garden State Parkway in NJ is fine for RV's.
4. Make sure your co-pilot is an expert in Google Maps with the traffic overlay. That way you can change your route on the fly if needed (i.e. headed to the GW but see traffic on Google Maps so head over to the Tappen Zee.).
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #11

I don't go to mystic from where you are, but go hartford a lot. I use garden state parkway and Tappen zee, 684 and 84. Trucks are prohibited from northern end of GSP, but they do not enforce it for RV's. Just beware about 4 bridges just north of exit 129 (NJ Pike) are low, 13.1 on lower sides so stay on middle lanes and no problem. I am always towing a car so about 55' long.

Rich
Old 08-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #12

we stayed at aces high cg. great place and easy to get to mystic seaport.. highly recomment the cg...would return in a heart beat
Old 08-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would take Turnpike to exit 10 and get on 287 north. Follow that all the way around to the Tappan Zee. It is 10 or 15 miles out of the way but no tolls and no turnpike, GWB or Parkway traffic. Much better route for RV'ers.

Dan Callahan
North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins and Allison
Old 08-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #14

287 to 87 is definitely the way to go. Make sure you have a good GPS or navigator. We ended up crossing the GWB and 95 up to CT. The roads were horrible. Did that by accident as we missed the 287 to 87 connector somehow. We did take 287 to 87 on the way down, and it was much better

Tags
travel