Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2015, 08:03 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Trip across Nebraska

What is the best route across Nebraska for a class A from Kansas City to Custer? We hate to ride the interstates. Lots more to see on secondary roads if they will accommodate our rig.
vettehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Use this website and figure your own route Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions
Old 02-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #3

Have you ever been thru the Badlands or to Wall Drug?, I have traveled across Nebraska on a Motorcycle multiple times heading to Sturgis, I think I've gone every route possible, not the most exciting state to traverse across thats for sure, but the sandhills of Nebraska are kind of neat in my opinion, others find that landscape boring.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #4

US 385 is what I usually take, but you can take hwy 2. It cuts diagonally across the state, ending in Alliance NE on the west side.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Phil, I would take Highway 275 and it will turn into Highway 20, you are going to go through alot small towns, but you'll avoid the interstate. Very scenic through the sand hills. When you get to Chadron you will hook up with Highway 385 that will take you to Custer a couple different ways. You can decide if you go into Hot Springs, SD and up to Custer or just stay on 385 north and then head west right into Custer. Have a great trip! Randy
Old 02-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
Hi Phil, I would take Highway 275 and it will turn into Highway 20, you are going to go through alot small towns, but you'll avoid the interstate. Very scenic through the sand hills. When you get to Chadron you will hook up with Highway 385 that will take you to Custer a couple different ways. You can decide if you go into Hot Springs, SD and up to Custer or just stay on 385 north and then head west right into Custer. Have a great trip! Randy
This is the route I was looing at. Think I will take it. THANKS

How do you like your ISX? Oil changes?
vettehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #7

If you do take Hy 275 there is a nice campground in Wisner NE. Its along the river. I live near there that's where we camp most of the time. 15 bucks a night. 30 and 50 amp sites with water and a waste dump.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettehead View Post
This is the route I was looing at. Think I will take it. THANKS

How do you like your ISX? Oil changes?
Absolutely love it. Never had a coach with soooo much power! I have it serviced once a year at my local CAT dealer. Used to worry about wind and hills, but with this coach my only worry is getting away from work to use it. 😄 Randy
Old 02-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #9

If you go thru Alliance, make sure to stop at Carhenge just outside of town. The best free attraction around, great photo ops.

Also, Superior, on the KS border on Hw 14 has a nice campground in the city park on the highway that they ask a small donation for. Has water and a few electric hookups.

Also very worthwhile is Pioneer Village in Minden and the museum over I-80 near Kearney.

With only one interstate Hw across the state, Nebraska has a lot of interesting secondary roads, and almost all of those are suitable for a class A rig.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Phil (vettehead), looks like all the above are very good recommendations. I've never taken 275 but I'm sure it's as good as any. Not sure how you want to leave KC but Hwy 81 North out of Kansas isn't a bad road. Could go the Hwy. 6 then to Minden, NE as mentioned above. If you want to go back in time Pioneer Village is a place to see. They even have 54 Vette there (they says it's a 53 but I checked then s/n and it's a 54 - I didn't have the heart to tell them any different). Also, as mentioned, there is a museum over I-80 that is worth seeing in Kearney (plus it's my hometown). Kearney itself has "Classic Car Collection" that is very interesting in its own right. Kearney has a Cabela's store as well - just happens that the car collection I mentioned is in the same building. Pioneer Village has a campground, not sure how good though. Fort Kearney State Park is in the area as well. I'd go Hwy. 10 North out of Kearney and connect with Hwy. 2 which goes to Alliance as has been mentioned. This is a pretty drive in the spring. I'd then go to Custer as mentioned in previous posts. Another route, kind of depends are what plan on doing. Taking Hwy. 30 out of Kearney to the West to Ogallala isn't bad. A lot of Union Pacific rail traffic. You can go North out of Ogallala Hwy. 61 to Lake McConaughy and Lake Ogallala for nice campgrounds. Take Hwy. 92, 26, and 385 to Alliance. You can probably find cheaper places to camp than Nebraska State Parks (also have to have state park permit) but if you are looking for a place to stay they are okay. A little side trip North to South Dakota is to Fort Robinson near Crawford. Quite a bit of history there plus it's nice. Keep in touch during your travels. Enjoy your trip!.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote