Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #1

Trip from Houston to Smokey Mountains

We are leaving next week to attend Camp Freightliner. I thought we would take a route out of Houston on I59 through Lufkin, Nacogdoches, Shreveport, Jackson MS, Meridian, Birmingham, Chattanooga and wherever from there. Any advise on that route? I thought it would be prettier than going through New Orleans going East. Not much difference in mileage.

Also once we get close to the Smokey Mountains I would like to find a Campground where the roads are pretty easy pulling a toad and camp for a couple nights. I eventually plan to take I-40 across to Gaffney SC and would like to take the toad inside the park area close to I40 where I plan to find a camp site. Any suggestions? I heard Smokey Bear Campground not far off I40 would be good. My first long trip out since bringing the RV back to Houston from Oregon where we bought it last August (awesome trip down the 101). Also first time pulling a toad and this time with 2 dogs along. Should be interesting

noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 09:12 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
noserider---I live in East Texas and usually make that route once a year pulling a fifth wheel but have not been thru there for nearly two years now---so my comments are not up to date.

I-20 thru Shreveport is rough for 20-30 miles it seems, so the last two times I used the Loop around the North and it was better, but not the greatest. I always spend the 1st night in Meridian and then to Sweetwater Tenn. the next. The road from Birmingham to Chattanooga has a long stretch that has been terrible for years. They have been working on it for years also. Maybe it is in better shape now. I also dont go straight thru Birmingham. I like to go around the East side.

I am usually going to Pigeon Forge or either to N Carolina when I use this route and I thnk you will enjoy the trip except for the above mentioned hiccups.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
We are leaving next week to attend Camp Freightliner. I thought we would take a route out of Houston on I59 through Lufkin, Nacogdoches, Shreveport, Jackson MS, Meridian, Birmingham, Chattanooga and wherever from there. Any advise on that route? I thought it would be prettier than going through New Orleans going East. Not much difference in mileage.

Also once we get close to the Smokey Mountains I would like to find a Campground where the roads are pretty easy pulling a toad and camp for a couple nights. I eventually plan to take I-40 across to Gaffney SC and would like to take the toad inside the park area close to I40 where I plan to find a camp site. Any suggestions? I heard Smokey Bear Campground not far off I40 would be good. My first long trip out since bringing the RV back to Houston from Oregon where we bought it last August (awesome trip down the 101). Also first time pulling a toad and this time with 2 dogs along. Should be interesting

I took that I20 to I59 route from just east of Dallas to the Gatlinburg area in early April. Pretty good route. Not too much construction & seemed to be less traffic than I10.

A really nice new resort close to the smokies and east access from I40 is here:

http://www.anchordownrvresort.com/

Easy toad drive to anywhere on the Tn side of the Smokies. Then easy I40 east to I26 and Gaffney.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:59 AM   #4

Thanks Guys. I'll check that campground out Steve.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:45 AM   #5

Benchmark Coach and RV Park

...in Meridian, MS is a good stop. Nice, level concrete pads with easy in, easy out.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #6

Noserider,

We're leaving Houston in July headed to Franklin, NC and the Smokies. We are looking to go east on I-10, then north to Atlanta and Franklin. We're looking to return a more northern route and then south on 59 back to Houston. Any suggestions based on your trip experience?

How was Camp Freightliner? Would you recommend it?

Thanks,

Aggiefan is offline   Reply With Quote