RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2020, 07:59 AM   #1

Trip from Tampa,Fl to Bar Harbor, ME (arrival late June)

I have a 40' diesel motorhome with toad. What is the best route when approaching NYC area? Another other concerns I should be prepared for heading to Arcadia NP?

Thanks....

jeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #2

Avoid DC to NYC. Take 26/77 off of 95 up to 81 -or- stay on 75 up to 81.

Take 81 all the way up to 84. 84 - 90 - 495 - 95

Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #3

Look into reservations now. New England has a short summer and the best locations book up early.

The Maine coast is beautiful. If you have time you should check out different towns on your way North or South. LL Bean in Freeport is great. We always like the Kittery Trading post just as you enter Maine on 95. You can usually get better pricing on lobster meals midweek in places like Bar Harbor. We've seen prices bump up on weekends. Consider a harbor tour or whale watch . Bring some warm cloths just in case. We've had to bundle up on the 4th of July in Bar Harbor and we are New Englanders.
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeveler View Post
I have a 40' diesel motorhome with toad. What is the best route when approaching NYC area? Another other concerns I should be prepared for heading to Arcadia NP?

Thanks....
Get an Ezpass Extra while in Florida. MA has a Camera toll system with pay by plate if you don't have a transponder. No toll booths. High Adman fees. Ezpass Extra works in 18 states on the eastern seaboard including all of Florida. Do the 26/77/85 route.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:55 PM   #5

Acadia (no “R”) has several nice RV parks,but they are pricey.. I’d recommend Timberland RV Park in Trenton. This is on RT #3 ,which is the primary route to the park. This would give you a better base to visit the entire island, of which the park is only a part of. Acadia is one of the three busiest national parks. June is an optimal time to visit,or Sept, Oct. You’ll have plenty of company in July.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeveler View Post
I have a 40' diesel motorhome with toad. What is the best route when approaching NYC area?
A route that avoids it

The 81 to 84 suggestion is a good one. Once on I90/MassPike don't be tempted to take 290 through Worchester ("Wooster") as that runs through congestion and lots of traffic in Worchester. It's not a short-cut. Stay on 90 to 495.

Also be aware of a couple of things in the northeast (one other thread also touches on these)

1) You cannot go on anything labeled "Parkway" in NY or at least the Merritt in CT. Those are passenger car only. You won't fit under the overpasses, there are no shoulders, there is only a short guardrail as a median in many areas.

2) There are a lot more low clearance structures (overpasses) and weight limit bridges in the northeast, particularly Maine/VT/NH/upstate NY Have a trucker's atlas and use it. Do NOT trust Google Maps (or any tool that uses car mapping guidance) to route you on a safe road. If you're going off the main highways, research the route first and be sure you can take it. Don't assume that because it's a numbered road, it's a highway. In particular I recall a sub-11' clearance bridge on 197 between Richmond and Boothbay Harbor, Maine that has taken out a few rigs.

3) There are a more tolls in the northeast than you might be used to. While MassPike (I90) has license plate billing, NY Thruway and bridge crossings do no (to my knowledge). Not sure about Maine. The booths in NY only take cash. Get an EZ-Pass if you have time to get one. 40' and towing you are either a 4H if single rear axle or 5H if you are a tag axle (for toll rates).

4) Truck stops are not as obvious to find for diesel as they are outside the northeast. Tax rates vary wildly between the states. Plan your fuel stops accordingly and fuel up before you need it, if appropriate. Irving is one of the more common large vehicle stations in Maine.

5) Late June is Black Fly Season in Maine. Be aware and have repellent.

6) Lobster is cheaper and just as good from the fish counter at the local supermarket than the tourist trap restaurants. They will steam it (and put it in an insulated bag) for you for free, just give then 15 minutes while you shop for butter, lemons, and cracking tools. Working lobster pounds are also much better than sit down/order off the menu restaurants.

7) Just before the NH toll booths headed north on 95 watch for the dark blue and yellow sights for the NH State Liquor Store, if you are so inclined. Big Rig friendly parking and great deals. The northbound store is better than the southbound one, especially for parking. If you are ultimately headed to Canada, though, keep the border-crossing limits in mind before you stock up.

8) Plan your visit to Bar Harbor itself around the cruise ship schedule. Some of them dump 3000+ people into port at a time and will quickly overwhelm the local establishments.

spuds is offline   Reply With Quote