Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Trip planning

Looking ahead. Not sure of launch date. Not sure how to proceed. So many unknowns for a beginner. 1) we'll be leaving Salem Oregon and heading down to Tucson. How many miles a day average is reasonable for 2 drivers, 400, 450.
Then you look at maps, campground guides and find places to stop overnight? What do you do if you are tired, need to stop and can't find a park or campground. Will Truck stops let you stay overnight? Rest stops? Are there still Walmart that'll let you stay? Or is it best to call a designated site and call ahead and the hopscotch along your way.
Rickndebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #2

First, why do you have to drive so many hours per day? It sounds like you might be retired. There's no rush. Take your time so you don't get tired.

If you're trying to make a beeline to Tucson without any detours or siteseeing, then yes, pull into a truck stop or WalMart.

If you're talking about leaving now.... rv parks are not going to be busy so no need to make reservations. When you start feeling like it's close to stopping time - perhaps willing to drive 50 miles further, look ahead on a map and pick a descent size town and then search for a rv park in or near that town.

If it's near a meal time and you want to eat out, stop at a restaurant along the way so you don't have to disconnect everything to go out for dinner.

We also found that it's best to pass through a major big city first and then look for a place to stop for the night. Then in the morning you don't have to fight the morning traffic in the city.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:27 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I agree, in planning for next summer, the longest drive is 160 miles, the shortest 60 miles, we plan for taking it easy, enjoy everything. Yes it takes longer, however we plan to be away for X number of days, plan accordingly.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
This forum is great. I am still thinking in working mode. It's good to know Wal-Mart and truck stops are available. What do you do about chains required passes? We haven't bought chains yet.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #5

You will need to carry chains if you intend to drive the roads. They are required. However, it's best to constantly monitor the weather as you travel and if you find yourself in that situation on a major highway, pull over at the first chance and wait it out. Yes, it might even be overnight. They do clear the major highways fast though. If you drive through it chains will be required. It's definitely not something we'd ever do - put chains on a RV. As you drive the passes you will see places with a sign 'chain-up area'. That's where you do it.

One year at the end of April we were leaving Arizona heading east on I-40. A freak blizzard occurred just west of Albuquerque, NM and the interstate was completely shut down. Everyone boondocked (semis and RVers) right on the highway overnight until we could drive. I can't imagine what those in cars did as there was nothing in site.

Bottom line... be prepared if driving in winter..... or even in April!
Old 11-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #6

We used to travel this time of year all the time, not in the PNW, but around the Great Lakes is as bad for snow, but there are no mountains. We still have to watch the weather and it could go bad and stick us for a day (or two - only once). When you get into a weather hold, do even try to be the first one out. Let those in a hurry have their accident and go home.

First, get an app for a smart phone called RVParky. Look at the website first, that is free and will give you lots of ideas. Yes, truck stops, rest areas and Walmarts are all good things to know where are, but not all Walmarts are good for ONP.

Second, always have fuel and provisions onboard for at least two days. But, its a motorhome Right? It can be home in no place special while you watch things going on around you.

Take some pictures and share them in better times.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #7

Hmmm, let's do the math here: Salem to Tucson, 1400 miles, average speed 50 mph, total time 28 hrs. Leave at 8 am, be there by noon the next day - no problem! NOT!!!!!

On a more serious note, 300 - 400 miles a day would be my best guess also. So, assuming you drive "straight through" you could make it in 4-5 days. However, unless you have a deadline to meet, take time to see the sights. Since you have a toad, take a break from the "big wheel" and spend a day or two exploring new areas, or old ones that you may have just whizzed by in the past.

We have done many X-country trips, and also made the trek to Alaska (Seattle to Fairbanks via the Alcan) and find it refreshing to just hang out after a day or two of driving and let the body unwind.

However you choose, hope you enjoy the RV lifestyle. SAFE TRAVELS!
Old 11-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #8

Here's an excellent bloggers 3-part (or maybe it's 4-part?) article on trip planning:

Planning RV Travels Part I -> 4 General “Rules” For Planning Where To Stay & When To Go – Wheeling It
Old 11-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #9

If it were me, I would watch the weather and as soon as there was a window I would make a beeline down I-5 to get over the high spots before the next storm. Once you are past Redding, Ca there won't be as much chance of bad weather causing a problem. Any other time of year I would eco the " take your time and smell the roses" thoughts, and you can do that after getting to the lower elevations and warmer part of the country.

Another option to avoid bad weather (except rain) would be to go over to the coast and down 101, but that would take considerably longer. On the other hand, it is a beautiful drive.

As WV to OR (Phoenix, along Southern I-5) transplants in '74 we have gone back and forth nearly every year since '78 when we got our first TC. The trip was about 2800 miles one way, and with no nonsense driving and sleeping every night in a rest area or truck stop it took about 4 1/2 days. That also included a short lunch break and walk, but I drove around 70 mph when on the interstate. In a car it was shortened to about 3-3 1/2 days. That was when we were working and had about a month for the trip. Now it takes however long we want it too.

Even while we were working, not all trips were to get there as fast as possible. Sometimes we would meander for a week or two in order to see something on our trip agenda, and looking back we were blessed to be able to see a lot.

However you choose to do it, remember to have fun and stay safe.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:27 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
You live, I think, in Oregon and many roads in Oregon have signs telling you that you must carry tire chains and you can be turned around at a check point if you are not carrying chains or so I have heard. What I did was go to Les Schwab and get a set of cable chains for the RV. The chains are in a nice plastic type bag and in the 8 years or so I have carried them they have been out of the bag once. I took them out and tried them on to make sure they would fit if ever needed. I don't intend to ever take them out of the bag again.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #11

Hopefully you're not in a huge hurry to get to your destination so you can not feel rushed, enjoy the scenery and enjoy your new adventure. The number of miles we travel per day depends on a few things such as weather, traffic, road conditions, where we are on the journey and how we're feeling. We have driven as many as 400 miles in a day, but that is the exception and not our norm (this was during long daylight hours traveling the Alcan Highway). We try to average about 200-250 miles per day, get to a location between 3-4pm so we can get parked, hooked up and settled for the night before it gets dark.
Regarding finding spots for the night, I have found an app (RV Parks) that I have on our phones and iPad which is quite helpful in showing RV parks in the general area, then I go to the RV park's website for more information. We are also lifetime Good Sam Club members, so I use the GSC website/app as well. Usually I call ahead for availability of a pull-through space since we are towing our vehicle behind the motorhome -- nothing worse than pulling into a park with your rig and then needing to head right back out on the road!
For me, planning the next stop is enjoyable and fascinating. We've had an awesome trip so far. Best wishes to you on your journey!

Dawn & Dave with our 9 yo Golden Retriever, Sophie
2005 Monaco Safari Cheetah
36' Class A / 350 Cat / Allison Transmission
Towing: 2016 Ford Edge Titanium AWD
"Every day is a new sparkling experience!"
Sunny1789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
On your trip to Alaska this year I knew it was 2200 miles to Calgary Alberta. In a notebook I wrote down WalMart's or Cabela's overnight stop overs between 350 and 425 miles. I was comfortable with doing 350 to 425 miles a day. So if I got to 375 miles and felt good I did another hour and made it to the 425 mile Walmart. The only bummer was on the return trip in Sept. were the Walmart in Spearfish SD. had no overnight parking allowed and it was another 45 minutes to the Cabela's in a driving rain at night.

Days of the 500, 600 and 750 mile days are gone for me. Retired and no need to push it. Wife does not drive RV....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:39 PM   #13

I was going to add the plan ahead more than a day but Superslif beat me too it. I like to have several days roughed checked out and listed. Nothing fancy but a list of possibles. We look at it when we stop for lunch and call ahead around then or a bit later depending on how we feel and how close the options are. Often it's a matter of leaving a message and getting a call back. At least we know if a site is available. Also often check on Walmarts along the way both for shopping and possible pull offs. It's easier on our planning to have some things understood than to wing it at the last minute and find out there is a problem.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Is anybody compiling a list of overnight stay walmarts