Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #1

Trip Routing

Looking for an App or service where we can plan a route from Virginia Beach, Va to Phoenix, Az. Trying to find something that would let us avoid mountains and show places to fuel and boondock along the way.
spencer451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 05:57 AM   #2

I use RV Trip Wizard. It has just about everything you need to plan a trip. Locations of Flying J, TA, Love's, etc. are available. It will allow you to plan your route from your starting point to your destination with stops along the way. It is a subscription service for $35 per year but I like what it offers.rvtripwizard.com
It does offer a demo to you before you decide to subscribe.
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:10 AM   #3

The price is now $39.00/year but it looks like it misses most of the Midwestern states. Must not be any 5 star campgrounds there!
wendyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:16 AM   #4

Trucker Path seems good and shows a lot of information. MyPilot seems to be a good App also. Not as much info as Trucker Path though. I don't think either will take you around mountains.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #5

Going through San Antonio on to Houston, TX. Any suggestions for best route around or through San Antonio?
afmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #6

Going west, I got off I-10 in Beaumont, TX and took state road 105 west until it hit US-290. I ended up going through a bit of Austin, but it wasn't too bad.

Going east, I took the 1604 loop around San Antonio. Its mostly expressway. Going through Houston wasn't fun, with a lot of stop-n-go.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:30 PM   #7

I don't think any routing program will show boondocking spots. True boondocking is on national forest or BLM lands (in the boonies) and each area has special regulations.

If you mean overnighting on a parking lot that would be altogether different such as truck stops, WalMarts, rest areas, etc.

For great information on mountain driving, get the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers'. It comes in east and west editions. We use it as a reference all the time. We love mountain driving.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:55 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer451 View Post
Looking for an App or service where we can plan a route from Virginia Beach, Va to Phoenix, Az. Trying to find something that would let us avoid mountains and show places to fuel and boondock along the way.
Don't know if you are going to get everything on one app but I have downloaded RV Parky App (visit rvparky.com for more info) and it lists parks as well as Walmarts, Cabelas, Flying J's etc. that you can park for nothing. It will also tell you if local laws prohibit overnight parking. Working on your computer have one window open to google maps to plan your trip and another to the RV Parky website for places to stay and when you found your overnight stop on RV Parky you went back and added the address to google maps as a stop in the end you would have all the information on one printout.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:21 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I've been taking a look at the Trucker Path Pro app. https://truckerpath.com/

I am a user. Have no financial skin in the game. Here's what I've found:

Trucker Path Pro is a logistical assistant geared towards professional truck drivers but could be helpful to RVers. It tells you just about everything you need to know about a truck stop.

There is no one-app-shows-everything out there, but this is a pretty good app to add to your planning and en route tools. Best used in conjection with your GPS, Gas Buddy, Allstays Walmart Overnight Parking and other apps.

Works with Android and Apple phones and tablets. Andriod says it has been downloaded 500,000 to 1 million times.

A 5-star rating from 1,634 users at the iTunes app store. http://apple.co/1FNTJhi

A 4.5 rating from 19,492 users at the Google app store. http://bit.ly/1Ro0ooE

And it is FREE. With NO ads.

That said, it shows just about all truck stops on a map -- handy when your fuel gauge dips below a quarter tank. Quickly shows what's available with a 200-mile radius of where you are.

One drawback: It appears to depend on users to keep information current. So check the time and date of entries before you decide on whether to rely on them.

With a click, provides detailed information about all major truck stops, such as:
* number of truck parking spaces -- and green/yellow/red indicators showing if there are any open spots;
* directions, phone/fax numbers;
* number of scales;
* restaurants nearby;
* type of truck care provided;
* transflo;
* weather; and
* fuel prices.

It also provides information about
* weigh station status -- know when the weigh station is open "so you can customize your route," according to the app;
* rest areas;
* washes;
* scales;
* restaurants; and
* nearby hotels/motels.

One other feature: a trip planner to help plan routes. However, it does NOT show height and weight restrictions.

It shows these truck stops on a map. Each has its own symbol so you can see, at a glance, by brand and distance:
* Pilot & Flying J Travel Plazas;
* Loves Travel Stops;
* TA Travel Centers;
* Petro Stopping Centers;
* AM Best;
* Pacific Pride Commercial;
* Petro-Canada;
* Sapp Brothers;
* Roady's Truck Stops; and
* thousands of independents.

Users have reported some problems:
* Interferes with some other apps that need access to location. Drains battery. Have to restart phone to clear it.
* I loved this app in the beginning. But people are wrecking it by saying there are lots of parking spots available when there aren't any and with weigh stations saying they are open when closed or closed when they are open.
* Hard to see on phone screen when driving.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard