Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 09:08 AM   #1
M2D

Trip to Glacier National Park

We have reservations for five days over Labor day weekend at GNP. We will be going onto the Port Townsend, WA area after that to attend the Wooden Boat Show. We live just outside of Boston, MA.

We have been traveling in our fiver for two years now having made several north south trips and trips to Maine and Ontario, Canada and upstate, NY.
We have not taken the fiver out west. This will be our first time. We have the mountains west and east books which we have found very useful.

We are planning our routing to GNP. We plan to give ourselves two weeks or so to get there. We try to keep it down to 400 or so miles a day as we are retired and can do that. We can do more if necessary. We are planning to see all that we can over the next years of our retirement but are not in a rush. Expecting to stop to see things on our way to GNP. Plan to be home by the third week in October for this trip so will select accordingly for places we will see after the boat show.

We usually do our best to avoid big cities while towing. I can see that we may be too near Cleveland and Chicago depending on the route we take. I have great respect for the information so kindly given here and thank you in advance for any advice you might care to give us about our routing. We have a one tone diesel dually and so should be OK for towing in the mountains and intend to choose wisely which passes/roads we take.

Michele and Mark
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, if you take the Turnpike, I80/90, you will see quite a bit of Cleveland and Chicago. We have done it a few times and it can be hectic. If you drop down to I70 you will hit a few cities, but not nearly as bad as the above. Also consider just taking secondary highways and seeing small town America. We like to do that when we can.

After Indianapolis take I74 up to Peoria and then angle north to Davenport and you will be on I 80 and on your way. After Davenport there are many good routes to get you to I90 and then up to I94. I would also avoid the Twin Cities.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #3

Went to Glacier last Sept, from Cape Cod, I 90, I 39, I 94 to Glendive, Mt. 200s , 13, 2 To Glacier. DO NOT TAKE 200 in MT. Rt. 2 roads are good, but not scenic , lots of ranches. HARVE, MT. has a nice campground and a Walmart, Shelby also has a nice campground.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also the KOA in Jamestown, ND. is nice and there is a nice CG in Glascow, Mt.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:09 AM   #5
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Just a FYI, the Going to the Sun road was officially opened on June 29th. Still some snow in the Logan Pass area and visitors center.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:14 AM   #6

Not a "road warrior" by any means but coming from the east coast, it is difficult to avoid big cities until you get thru Chicago. One option is to go a bit south of I90/94 corridor on secondary roads until you get to Chicago. Or get north in to Canada, cut across to Detroit, north to upper Michigan, and then US2 straight across to GNP. Mi, Wis, Mn along the lakes are nice, ND and eastern Mt are pretty stark. I90 thru SD, then north to Wy and Mt provides for more scenery and things to see and do along the way. Good luck--be safe....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:30 PM   #7

There are several ways to bypass Chicago, the one I use is to take I 90 to I80 to I 355 to I 88 to I 39 or just stay on I 80 to I 39 I have taken these routes every year for 12 yrs from Cape Cod to Wisconsin and than to western Mountains.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:48 AM   #8
M2D

Thank you for the getting around Chicago advice.

Michele and Mark
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national