Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
How long of a stay at this location would you suggest where we could explore everything? Will more than one day trip for each location be enough. One campground mentions we would be close enough to Zion, The Grand Canyon, Bryce and The Grand Staircase.
We would highly recommend that you stay at each one. I can't imagine driving to all those places for a day trip. You would be exhausted and wouldn't have much time to do the parks justice. At least plan for 2 nights or more at EACH park.

If you haven't seen the Grand Canyon yet I would recommend the South Rim for your first time and stay at Trailer Village IN the park itself.

Don't forget about Arches Nat'l Park and Canyonlands - which you can do from one locations in Moab.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2014, 05:43 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
How soon would I need to reserve camping sites at the NP's and the Balloon festival for a trip next year? I would prefer full hookups if possible and I do not want any dry camping.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #17

The balloon festival is VERY expensive if you want full hook-ups. We paid $65.00 a night to dry park on the gravel lot, which included daily admissions. But, no golf cart shuttles, had to walk to grounds. Festival is something you have to do at least once.
And, don't be scared of that infamous highway 12, from Escalante to Torrey. It to has to be driven to appreciate it.
And, since you will be there in September [thats when the balloon fest is], Capital Reef fruit will be in full swing. Orchards are amazing. Eat free, or buy take home. I want to go back again, maybe next year....
Old 07-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
The balloon festival is VERY expensive if you want full hook-ups. We paid $65.00 a night to dry park on the gravel lot, which included daily admissions. But, no golf cart shuttles, had to walk to grounds. Festival is something you have to do at least once.
And, don't be scared of that infamous highway 12, from Escalante to Torrey. It to has to be driven to appreciate it.
And, since you will be there in September [thats when the balloon fest is], Capital Reef fruit will be in full swing. Orchards are amazing. Eat free, or buy take home. I want to go back again, maybe next year....
Now you did it. I now have to investigate Highway 12.

How many nights would be necessary to enjoy the Balloon festival?
Old 07-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #19

Here's the Balloon Fiesta site: For this Oct. reservations were being accepted the previous October.

http://www.balloonfiesta.com/guest-guide/rv-information

Look at this year's schedule to see what days you'd be interested in. Different things happen daily. Electric sites for the fiesta are expensive but I think it beats staying off-site, dealing with the crowds, etc. The RV parks up their rates during that time, also - all the way to Santa Fe!

Since you want full hookups for seeing the national parks, call by January/Feb. The Grand Canyon South Rim does have a full hookup park right inside the national park near the rim. This is absolutely the best place to stay and for that one, the soon the better for reserving. It's very popular. If you're not a hiker, 3-4 nights would be sufficient although there a very easy rim hike for nice views. The free shuttle will stop at the RV park and you can get off and on wherever. So do a little rim walking and end at the shuttle stop when you're tired. Even if you're not a hiker, do go down the Bright Angel Trail if only for 1/4 mile or so. You'll get a whole different perspective the the canyon. Just remember - you have to go UP on your return so don't stray too far.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
My trip next year will now be over three months long. Going across Texas my stops will be just overnight ones except for 2 nights at Houston to visit an Uncle and 3 nights at San Antonio. Once I get into Arizona we will spend 4 nights in Benson, AZ for the DW to visit a niece. Unless there is really something else to see heading to Grand Canyon the other stops will be for 1 or 2 nights.

Once I get to Grand Canyon I plan on staying 4 nights at the South Rim and 4 nights at the North Rim. Is this enough or to much? I was also thinking of staying a few extra nights at Lake Powell if there is something to see to warrant them.

Once I get in Utah I want to stay at a campground in between Zion and Bryce and figured we would stay there for 8 nights to be able to see everything. Will this be to much or not enough?

I will have one stop for one night heading to Moab, Ut where we will stay at a central campground to see everything there for 6 nights. Again will this enough?

We will then head South across the corner of Colorado to Gallup, NM on over to Alburqueque for 5 nights. This is for the Balloon Fiesta. I am assuming this would be enough.

The stops on the way home from there will either be 1 or 2 night stops. I like to alternate them to rest up some.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
. Unless there is really something else to see heading to Grand Canyon the other stops will be for 1 or 2 nights.
There are some cliff dwellings over by Sedona, if that interest you:
Where to See Sedona Cliff Dwellings and Petroglyphs | Sedona Rock Art Sites and Indian Ruins | Historic Sites Near Sedona - Sedona.net
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I just happen to think about fuel stops. Once I get off of the interstates I am sure they will be very few and a long way between them.

What are must stop areas where I will not run out of gas?
Old 07-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #23

JMHO: A lot of the stay times you have laid out , around the Canyons and National parks , are dependent on your mobility and activity levels. If you are able and enjoy hiking then the times at each stop seem ok.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
JMHO: A lot of the stay times you have laid out , around the Canyons and National parks , are dependent on your mobility and activity levels. If you are able and enjoy hiking then the times at each stop seem ok.
We like to walk a lot, but do not do hardcore/climbing hiking. If it is steep or the edge is close to the trail the DW will not do it.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #25

If you have extra time there's a lot to do from Tucson after your Benson stop. There's the Desert Museum, Saguaro Nat'l Park - we like theEast section for some nice short hikes. Sabino Canyon for a tram ride to the top. A drive up Mt. Lemmon to the ski area - nice views of Tucson.

I would suggest that you spend your time at the South Rim of Grand Canyon and skip the North Rim. If you're not hikers, 8 nights would be too much.

Lake Powell/Page - do the Antelope Canyon hike...it's short but beautiful. Two nights would be enough.

Stay at both Zion and Bryce otherwise you'll be doing a lot of driving. Once you're at both, you'll find more to explore around each park. You could even do a day drive to the North Rim of Grand Canyon from Zion. From Bryce you could tour along Hwy 12 to Escalante.

Arches and Canyonlands can be done from Moab.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
North & south are great, 2 days less at North, if you want to be in the middle of Bryce & Zion, Baures RV, in Glendale is very good, they have a weekly rate.

There is plenty of hiking that is easy more like walking if you prefer
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Might as well throw in Arches NP, Capitol Reef NP, Bryce Canyon, Carlsbad, and Monument Valley. And while in Tucson, Saguaro NP
You don't mention a time frame, but the AIBF is 1st of Oct. Have you made your reservations yet, they fill up fast.
Be sure to sign up on line or stop by the Chase Crew Tower to help Crew. A great experience. At least stop by and say HI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
North & south are great, 2 days less at North, if you want to be in the middle of Bryce & Zion, Baures RV, in Glendale is very good, they have a weekly rate.
There is plenty of hiking that is easy more like walking if you prefer
There is SO MUCH to see out west. My first trip out west was in 2008. I've been going ever since. I tend to go to the same 6 or 7 areas every year with some rotation. but even when I'm in the same area I see different things.
walking and hikes out near Arches is easy very sure footed with any kind of rubber soled shoe. you will want to take along water to drink.
Lots of RT 66 stuff along I-40.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #28

Well, with all the great suggestions, you'll be on the road for the next 6 months......! There is so much to see and do......best of luck picking the few.