Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2014, 02:25 AM   #1

Trip west

My wife and I are planning the trip west to Colorado Springs area this spring. My route choice and plan has been up I-75 from Fla. thru Atlanta/ Tenn. and on to I-70 west. Is this a good idea regarding "Tornado Alley" or would I 10 across Texas and up I-25 be the better route? Have gone both routes before but never this early in the year.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:42 AM   #2

I prefer 10/25, mainly due to ease of travel, less hills, and some excellent places to stay on the way (Chattahootchie, Lake Charles, Kinder, Kerrville, Santa FE). I think it's more miles, and you have to time your trip around traffic areas (Houston), but I think it's worth it.

soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:46 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by soricobob View Post
I prefer 10/25, mainly due to ease of travel, less hills, and some excellent places to stay on the way (Chattahootchie, Lake Charles, Kinder, Kerrville, Santa FE). I think it's more miles, and you have to time your trip around traffic areas (Houston), but I think it's worth it.

+1 This would be my choice as well.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
We usually go up 75 to Chattanooga then 24 west thru Nashville. thru Illinois and to avoid St Louis the miles of boring, boring I70 west of there, with Kansas City thrown in for good measure, go a bit further north to I80 and then west. Iowa has more (though still boring) hills and scenery than Missouri and Kansas.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #5

I 80 is full of trucks!! I 70 has some nice hills near western Kansas.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #6

Thanks to all for the in put. We have decided to do I-10/25. Now working on places to stay for a few days in Louisiana the around San Antonio. In Louisiana we are looking at Hidden Pond CG in Sulphur and also Lake Fausee Pointe St Pk south of Lafayette La. Has anyone had experience with either? From site pictures it appears the elec/H2O hook ups at the St.Pk. are on the passenger side of the coach?? Any way thanks for you help.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #7

I prefer A+ campground on LA 27 in Sulphur. Hidden pond has a lot of full timers that are working in the plants around here. A+ has some also, but the area around the pond in the middle is usually reserved for short time stays.

Wayne
ItascaRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #8

Here is a link to their website. www.a-plusmotel.com

Wayne
ItascaRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #9

I believe it was Travelers World Campground we stayed at in San Antonio. Nice park very helpful staff. 5 mile from the river walk & Alamo. $1.20 get you a ride on the bus from the park to the river walk. Bus stop is across the street from the park. Bus comes by every 20 minutes. There is also a paved walk path from the campground to the river walk. Nice for bikes. Would for sure recommend the river walk to anyone.

Russell
Old 04-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Count me in as another vote for A+ Campground in Sulphur. We stayed there a few weeks ago. It is very nice.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #11

I would take the "Southern route" out, and the "northern" back. Florida to I 10 west to I 25 etc etc. That would be cooler weather in each direction.. The I 80, it is a good route in spite of the trucks. Lots to see/do along the way,.. East to I 39 in Illinois, make your way to Nashville, then I 65 south to Alabama 231 to I 10. I would drive many mile out of the way just to AVOID ATLANTA.. Al 231 is a really nice road.