Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tucson to Utah, highway questions

Hello!

We are in NM and will be in Tucson, AZ, then the Phoenix area in the next few weeks. We are fairly new full timers in a 43 foot DP with toad, so i need some help with a good route. We would like to go see a lot of Utah (really wanted to spend more time in AZ, but it may get too hot, and we plan on spending more time there next winter, tarried too long going cross country this year). So I did a lot of searching on iRV2 and there were suggestions for RV friendly roads (keep in mind we are fairly new) but I have a few gaps. I also want to make sure that if there's a better route to see something spectacular and also stay off interstates then let me know! We are somewhat flexible too. Here are my questions:

Tucson to Phoenix, would 79 be a good alternative to I10?

Phoenix to 89/alt 89 (Kanab) so we can stay in between Zion and Bryce. Should we just take I17 to Flagstaff, then get on 89?

Took some notes on roads in Utah that are suggested. My understanding is that 89 is good up to 70, then we would go to Moab. Not sure of the roads down to Moab, looks like 191 or 128.

From there I will research the northern part of Utah, any suggestions?

Thanks!
Slydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #2

We've driven all those highways with our 40' motorhome many times.

Hwy 79 - where do you want to end up at in the Phoenix area? You will end up in Apache Junction. If you're not staying in Phoenix get on the 202 to 101 north to I-17.

Phoenix to Kanab: I-17 to 89 north and either 89A to Jacob Lake (a big uphill just before Jacob Lake but many RVers do it. Your MH is certainly capable of any mountain road. This is very scenic. Or for a flatter drive stay on 89 into Page and on to Kanab.

We're hikers and really like to dig deep in our national parks and do everything we can. Therefore, we stay in or just outside the parks for the best experience. Trying to do both Zion and Bryce from one base - I don't think you'll want to do it more than one day. If you want to spend more time at each park I'd recommend for Zion to get to Fredonia, AZ just north of Jacob Lake (via 89A or 89) and take 389 west to Colorado City and it becomes 59 in Utah. Then get a RV park on Hwy 9 in either Hurricane, Virgin or just outside the park gate at Springdale.

You're too long to exit Zion via east on Hwy 9 through the tunnel.

To get to Bryce, reverse on Hwy 9 heading west to I-15 north and pick up Hwy 20 taking you east to Hwy 89. (Don't take Hwy 14 from Cedar City to 89. You won't like it. )Then head south to Panguitch and pick up Hwy 12 to Bryce. Ruby's RV is the best place to stay for Bryce with your MH.

Then leave via Hwy 12 east to Torrey for RV parks and tour Capitol Reef Nat'l Park.

To get to Moab from Torrey, either take 24 east and north to I-70 and east to 191.

Or from Torrey, take 24 east to Hanksville then 95 to Blanding and 191 north to Moab....beautiful country.

128 from Moab is the Colorado River Rd. and is o.k. for RVs if you heading east on I-70. Otherwise from Moab just stay on 191 north to I-70.

Hwy 6/191 is good to take you to Spanish Fork, UT just south of Salt Lake City if you want to head there, depending where you want to go to the north.

We love driving the MH in the West as most roads have no issues.

We also used the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' constantly. It gives mile by mile on many of the western secondary roads. Even when we do the roads over again, we still refer to the directory to refresh ourselves. You can order this book online direct from the publisher around $20. Getting it from Amazon is extremely expensive for some reason.

Have a great trip. We love this whole area!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #3

While in the Page, AZ area I suggest that:
  • you walk out to the overlook of the horseshoe bend in the Colorado River which is just west of hwy 89 about a mile or so south of Page
  • you tour Antelope Canyon (on Native American lands) ... they will take you there from any RV park in Page ...

You do not want to miss these!!!!!

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you both for the helpful advice! I'll map out our route now....
Slydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #5

If you do go to Page! Try to get a tour boat ride from Wahweep marina on Lake Powell. Nothing like it in the world. Bring your camera you will be glad you did. Not sure when the tour boats start operation. I think they have a dinner cruise also. Dave-R
Old 04-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-R View Post
If you do go to Page! Try to get a tour boat ride from Wahweep marina on Lake Powell. Nothing like it in the world. Bring your camera you will be glad you did. Not sure when the tour boats start operation. I think they have a dinner cruise also. Dave-R
We stayed at the campground 2 years ago, rented a boat from the marina for all day! Best 600 bucks we have ever spent for 8 hours of wonderful entertainment!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01654.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	123150   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01736.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	123151  

Old 04-04-2016, 08:27 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Zion access

There is a campground on rt 9 just before the east entrance to Zion. Save you a lot of driving around to the west entrance.
zionrv.com. Stayed there in 98 so it's been awhile but the access was great.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote