Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
I am confused about something related to the tunnel at Zion N.P.

I have a reservation at Zion River RV Park, Virgin, UT in August. We have a 45' motorhome (12'6" ht) and tow a car (which can be detached). I know there is a tunnel with restrictions but I'm not clear where the tunnel is. Is it located on 9 inside the park itself? If we are driving to Zion River RV Park from the north on 15 to 17 to 9 will I have to pass through the tunnel before getting to the RV Park? I will be using my car to travel to Springdale to enter the park. Also, when I leave Zion River RV Park with the motorhome can I travel east on 9 without going through the tunnel? We want to go to Kanab, UT when we leave Zion but I sense that we have to travel 9 to 59s to 389east to 89 to Kanab.

As you can see I am pretty confused so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Leslie
We have done the Zion Tunnel many times and it all honesty it is kind of cool. It costs an additional $10.00 I believe paid at the park entrance because the rangers monitoring/manning the tunner will shut down the opposing traffic when you roll up there in your coach and instruct you to straddle the middle line when traveling through the tunnel.

They WILL make you disconnect the toad. No questions asked. I have inquired, inquired, tried to debate and everything in between but there is no way in hell they will allow you to travel past the guard station at the park entrance with the toad attached. I tried debating about once you are pointed into the tunnel the Jeep is going to go exactly where the coach is going so why the necessity to unhook? I was then told by one of the rangers that it is not due to the tunnel itself but rather due to the switchbacks leading up to the tunnel from the west and after the tunnel if traveling from the east. Again, I debated and discussed until I was blue in the face because I have been over many mountain passes with switchbacks much worse that those, from Teton Pass in WY to Burgess Junction in WY and Logan Canyon in UT and the switchbacks going up to the Zion Tunnel are nothing. I even tried to play stupid last time and sneak up to the guard station with the Jeep hooked up but stayed back from the window so that it made it hard to see thinking I could sneak past but they made me pull over at the guard station and watched me unhook. They try to prepare you verbally for the climb, switchbacks and tunnel but really thay are nothing to worry about at all.

Traveling from northern I-15 heading south and to Zion by way of I-15, then Hwy 17 then Hwy 9 to Springdale is a very nice and scenic drive through some pretty farm and rural areas.

When you depart and want to head to Kanab, personally, I would pay the extra fee at the park entrance guard shack (with toad unhooked of course) and head east on Hwy 9 through the Zion Tunnel. After the tunnel near the eastern park entrance there is a nice wide pullout area to re-connect the toad and continue on to Hwy 89 and then Kanab. We have traveled this route many times and I wouldn't hessitate to do it again vs. driving around to take Hwy 59 and 389.

Mike.

Here is a picture my wife snapped of our coach entering the Zion Tunnel from the west side several years ago. Our coach to its highest point measures 12'6" and we had more than enough clearance despite the signage that states 13'1". Some friends and I have discussed that we swear years ago that the sign used to read 14'6" but have no proof of that. I just remember that and for whatever reason I can't see the tunnel shrinking.

zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
If we did not do the tunnel what route would be the best coming from Page, Arizona? I would also have to take a route back to Hwy. 89 to head to Bryce Canyon (Ruby's).
Coming from Page on 89 you would go to Bryce first then take UT20 west to I-15 south to UT17 to UT9 into Zion.

The "bypass" for UT9 and the tunnel between Kanab and I-15 is to use
US89-Alt S from Kanab to AZ389 which becomes UT59 to UT9 to I-15.

Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
Coming from Page on 89 you would go to Bryce first then take UT20 west to I-15 south to UT17 to UT9 into Zion.

The "bypass" for UT9 and the tunnel between Kanab and I-15 is to use
US89-Alt S from Kanab to AZ389 which becomes UT59 to UT9 to I-15.
I will be going to Zion from Page and then to Bryce.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:07 PM   #18

From Page to Zion go to Fredonia, AZ and pick up 389 which becomes UT59 to UT9.

From Zion to Bryce you can reverse the above route or you can take Hwy 9 west to I-15 then north to Hwy 20 to 89 south to 12 to Bryce.

Both are easy route for RVers.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:45 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post

From Zion to Bryce you can reverse the above route or you can take Hwy 9 west to I-15 then north to Hwy 20 to 89 south to 12 to Bryce.

Would I take 89 or 89A to Fredonia?
Old 04-24-2015, 11:21 PM   #20

The camp ground in Virgin is a great rv park. We live about 4 hours away and go there every year. You will not need to take the motor home in the tunnel.

We love the Zion park but not fans of Springdale as it over price tourists trap..

Any shopping can be done in hurricane for food etc...

Enjoy your visit to Zion
Old 04-24-2015, 11:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Would I take 89 or 89A to Fredonia?
Either one will take you to Fredonia.

89 will go to Page, AZ and come into Kanab, UT and then you go 7 miles south to Fredonia, AZ.

If you take 89 north out of Flagstaff, AZ and get on 89A toward Jacob Lake it will also come to Fredonia.

At the Fredonia intersection 389 will come in.

If you look on an Arizona and Utah map you will see that 89 and 89A form a big loop. Both meet in Fredonia, AZ.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:10 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

How is Hwy. 14 East of Cedar City on I-15 to Hwy 89? My map program has me taking this route instead of Hwy. 20 to Ruby's.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #23

Quote:
How is Hwy. 14 East of Cedar City on I-15 to Hwy 89? My map program has me taking this route instead of Hwy. 20 to Ruby's.
Raymond, 14 is east of Cedar City which is on I-15. 14 connect to 89 , From Cedar city traveling East
Old 04-25-2015, 11:28 PM   #24

Hwy 14 from I-15 to Hwy 89 is steep and curvy and not recommended as an 'easy' way. Hwy 20 coming in a little north is much better.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:47 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Hwy 14 from I-15 to Hwy 89 is steep and curvy and not recommended as an 'easy' way. Hwy 20 coming in a little north is much better.
Thanks - I found a YouTube video and it looked that way. I will change my route to Hwy. 20.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #26

We are in St George and drove up to Zion today (Friday May 1). Pleasant drive but park was very crowded, signs telling people the visitor center parking was full and to park in areas just before getting to the park. Shuttle would pick up and take you to the visitor center. I noticed campgrounds were full. Also you have to ride the free shuttle to the interior parts of the park (not the part to the tunnel). This pretty much a hiking park, lot of trails.

As a side question any thoughts on heading out of St George on 9/59 to 389 up 89 and across high country on 12 then 24 to I-70?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #27

1ciderdog: I gave my recommendation in a reply above about the route of 9/59 to 389 to 89. It's an excellent road for big RVs.

We think that Hwy 12 to 24 is also a good route but many want to avoid it because of a climb on Hwy 12 just before Capitol Reef Nat'l Park. We have no issues with it. It's a good highway and folks drive slow on it and there's not a lot of traffic. It's a beauty for scenery.

Only you know how you feel about driving steep uphills and how your motorhome will do. Have a great trip!
Old 05-02-2015, 09:54 AM   #28

Twogypsies,
Thanks. The route I mentioned is shown on the map as a scenic route so that's probably what we'll do when we leave St George. I don't mind driving steep hills, back roads, etc. We'll just take the time and enjoy the views.
Bob

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national