Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2015, 09:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Twogypsies,
Thanks. The route I mentioned is shown on the map as a scenic route so that's probably what we'll do when we leave St George. I don't mind driving steep hills, back roads, etc. We'll just take the time and enjoy the views.
Bob
As a follow up we traveled that route in the last couple of days and are now near Denver. The Utah secondary highways were good for us but might be a concern for people that are not comfortable with mountain driving. The scenery is absolutely terrific.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #30

Thanks for reporting back...wish more would do so!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:20 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
As a follow up we traveled that route in the last couple of days and are now near Denver. The Utah secondary highways were good for us but might be a concern for people that are not comfortable with mountain driving. The scenery is absolutely terrific.
What secondary roads were you referring to? I will be traveling a lot on Hwy. 89, 22, 62 and 24 in Utah on our trip this fall.
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #32

Out of St George on 9/59 to 89 up 89 and across high country on 12 then 24 to I-70?This was from St George down through Colorado City , Kanab, up to Bryce Canyon to Hanksville up to Green River on I-70. Very pretty route. I have not traveled the route you are taking.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #33

Had a friend attempt to go through last week. Notice the word attempt, PU with a trailer 53' total, no go max is 50'. They have markers on the road, had to go around. He was mad.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:31 AM   #34

Yep, Forest Grump took words out of my mouth. We were there just before Easter and I had always thought out MH and toad was closer to 45 feet. The ranger pointed to the 50 foot mark on the pavement and said I'm just a hair over 50, but we would be OK, just watch my speed around the hairpin curves on the other side.

Apparently the length has nothing to do with tunnel, but the sharp downhill turns after the tunnel as you descend toward Watchman campground and the main part of Zion\Springdale.

Indeed, I had no problems whatsoever with the tunnel or curves or downhill descent. My DW on the other hand who hates heights and sharp curves, (and sometimes my driving) sat with her eyes closed in the passenger seat until we got to the bottom .

P.S. - The route took much longer than anticipated, make sure you factor in an extra 30-45 minutes driving time in an RV.

Tags
national