Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tunnel in Zion National Park

I am confused about something related to the tunnel at Zion N.P.

I have a reservation at Zion River RV Park, Virgin, UT in August. We have a 45' motorhome (12'6" ht) and tow a car (which can be detached). I know there is a tunnel with restrictions but I'm not clear where the tunnel is. Is it located on 9 inside the park itself? If we are driving to Zion River RV Park from the north on 15 to 17 to 9 will I have to pass through the tunnel before getting to the RV Park? I will be using my car to travel to Springdale to enter the park. Also, when I leave Zion River RV Park with the motorhome can I travel east on 9 without going through the tunnel? We want to go to Kanab, UT when we leave Zion but I sense that we have to travel 9 to 59s to 389east to 89 to Kanab.

As you can see I am pretty confused so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Leslie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
I am confused about something related to the tunnel at Zion N.P.

I have a reservation at Zion River RV Park, Virgin, UT in August. We have a 45' motorhome (12'6" ht) and tow a car (which can be detached). I know there is a tunnel with restrictions but I'm not clear where the tunnel is. Is it located on 9 inside the park itself? If we are driving to Zion River RV Park from the north on 15 to 17 to 9 will I have to pass through the tunnel before getting to the RV Park? I will be using my car to travel to Springdale to enter the park. Also, when I leave Zion River RV Park with the motorhome can I travel east on 9 without going through the tunnel? We want to go to Kanab, UT when we leave Zion but I sense that we have to travel 9 to 59s to 389east to 89 to Kanab.

As you can see I am pretty confused so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Leslie
The tunnel is in the park itself.
You will not have to go through the tunnel, coming in from the north on 15.
You "can" exit through the park to Kanab through the tunnel. ... I would not.
The "best" (i.e. the way I would go) is 59 to 389 and 89.
It is worthwhile to drive through the tunnel in your car. Near the east entrance are interesting sights, views and you may well see mountain goats on the hillsides.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #3

The tunnel is on 9 near the south entrance. Since 9 is the only road through the park, if you travel south on 9 to Springdale you will have to go through the tunnel.

Rangers posted at both ends of the tunnel convert two-way tunnel traffic to one-way for larger vehicles, ensuring safe passage. This service, for which a $15 dollar tunnel permit fee is charged, was provided for over 27,874 oversized vehicles in calendar year 2011.

Large vehicles may only travel through the tunnel daily from:
  • March 9 to May 3 from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm
  • May 4 to September 6 from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
  • September 7 to September 27 from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm
  • September 28 to November 1 from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
  • During the winter months, drivers of large vehicles must make advance arrangements at the entrance stations for the one-way traffic control service at the tunnel. Winter hours of operations for the tunnel are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #4

My coach is 12' 10" tall and the total length including my car is 54'. Am I ok?

I am assuming I will have to disconnect the car and have the DW follow me through the tunnel. Is there a spot to disconnect and reconnect the car on each end of the tunnel.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We went through it summer 2013. We did have to disconnect the car and drive separately, but had no problems.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here's a link to the necessary info for transit through the Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel: The Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel - Zion National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

BTW, the "mountain goats" are really Bighorn Sheep. If you're looking for Mountain Goats, you'll have better viewing opportunities in Glacier National Park.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you want a "tunnel" video for Zion look below on Chris travels YouTube channel.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:14 PM   #8

How far is from the tunnel to Watchman campground?
Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you, I feel better knowing we do not have to go through the tunnel with our motorhome.

Safe travels everyone,
Leslie
Old 04-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #10

I drove our dually and 13'6" tall 5er through without damaging anything. If you watched the tunnel video, at the 5:34 point, a park shuttle is seen heading for the tunnel. Also in that video(7:36 I think) he tells how far from the tunnel to watchmans CG.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
IAlso, when I leave Zion River RV Park with the motorhome can I travel east on 9 without going through the tunnel? We want to go to Kanab, UT when we leave Zion but I sense that we have to travel 9 to 59s to 389east to 89 to Kanab.
You will be taking Hwy 9 from I-15 to Zion River RV Park and you won't be going through the tunnels. However, be sure to drive through the tunnels with your towed vehicle. It's a spectacular drive.

When you leave the RV park, DO take 59/389 to Kanab. It's a scenic, easy drive for big rigs with no issues.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #12

After watching the video we most likely will have to take the long route. The DW would freak out driving the car behind me.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #13

If we did not do the tunnel what route would be the best coming from Page, Arizona? I would also have to take a route back to Hwy. 89 to head to Bryce Canyon (Ruby's).
Old 04-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #14

I've driven it when I was a MH newbie. The tunnel is not that long. For you they will make it one way and have you drive down the centerline. They are very polite and helpful. My coach was around 12'8".

Tags
national