Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tupelo to Mobile

Has anyone driven Hwy 45 south from Tupelo Mississippi south to Mobile, AL lately?
How is this route? Construction? Two lane areas? Stop lights through town? Am traveling March 29th. Have they been hit with all the bad weather we are hearing about? Thanks
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #2

Here is related inquiry. I don't know, you may have asked there also.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/sikes...es-282907.html
olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #3

All good 4-lane, but not all limited access.

Suggest you take US45Alt at Shannon to avoid stop and go thru Columbus.
On 45Alt there is reduced speed and 3 or 4 red lights thru West Point.
Rejoin US45 at Brooksville.

Most of the small towns south of Meridian have been by-passed.

You can "drive it" on Google Maps Streetview here if you want.

"Where I come from..."
view2a.thril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #4

There are 4 red lights in West Point, one in Macon, and one in Scooba. 45 is four lane all the way to the Alabama state line. 45 in Alabama is two lane and this covers about 50 miles and goes through 3-4 small towns but only 2-3 stop lights total. Tupelo to Mobile will take you 4 hours. We live just south of Tupelo and go that way at least once a month. The best time to drive that 50 miles in Bama is after sundown because you are bound to get behind some codger driving or pulling a RV!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:34 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for. I might be one of those codgers because I can't drive the Bus like my Corvette. Any place to pull over in Bama for a night. I am getting anxious for the trip and may leave Sunday afternoon to put us in Gulf Shores a half day earlier and may need a stop to catch some shut eye.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:40 AM   #6

There isn't a lot in that 50 miles in Bama. There is a gas station / truck stop in Citronelle that has a large gravel lot beside it but I haven't ever saw a overnight RV in it. As far as campgrounds you have Clarkco State park just south of Meridian Ms that is along 45 and would put you about 3 hrs from Gulf Shores. You have Meaher State park in Mobil bay on the causeway which is about 45 minutes from GS. You can exit 45 in Waynesboro Ms and park at Wal-Mart and you would be about 2 hrs out of GS.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:48 AM   #7

I also live just south of Tupelo. I would rest up beforehand and make the trip in one day. It's not a bad drive and once you get to Mobile you are almost to Gulf Shores. Also, I bypass the first Gulf Shores exit on I10 and go east to the next exit, County Rd 83/Baldwin Beach Expressway. It misses a lot of the red lights on 59 south to Gulf Shores.
GWDawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:37 AM   #8

GWDawg1, can I assume you are a fellow Bulldog? If so , Hailstate! I live in Wren, where do you call home?
Old 03-25-2016, 06:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
GWDawg1, can I assume you are a fellow Bulldog? If so , Hailstate! I live in Wren, where do you call home?
Assumption correct. Lived in Starkville for 30 years, wife and I went to school and worked at MSU, retired and moved back this way in 2008. My kids all went to State and we all bleed maroon, Bulldogs to the core. We are in Becker.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:21 AM   #10

Just a couple of miles as the crow flys. Do you tailgate in the RV during football season? We park in the Rec Plex and this was out original reason for purchasing our first RV.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
Just a couple of miles as the crow flys. Do you tailgate in the RV during football season? We park in the Rec Plex and this was out original reason for purchasing our first RV.
We did when you could dry camp by the Hump, but we haven't in years. I park in Lot 36 for the football games.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I understand that it is a new exit off of 10 within the last year. Do you know the exit number? Is it exit 49?
Old 03-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
I understand that it is a new exit off of 10 within the last year. Do you know the exit number? Is it exit 49?
Yes, I'm pretty sure it is Exit 49.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #14

I think exit 49 is correct. It will say Baldwin Beach Express. It is the next exit, about 4 miles, past hwy 59. Three stop lights, so far! The toll at the bridge is 3.50 for the first 2 axles and 1.00 for every additional axle.