RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2019, 10:19 PM   #1

Two National Park Mini Tour

We are planning a trip this summer from the bay area through Las Vegas down 99 to 58 and then to 15 up to LV. Our first stop is zion river resort in Virgin, UT.
Hwy 9 looks to be okay getting there. From there we are going to Trailer Village in the Grand Canyon and we go Hwy 89 across and down and then up via 64. We head home from there via the lower route across Az and back up home.

Driving a 40ft DP with a toad. From looking at the route, It does not look too bad and RV Trip Wizard indicates some areas with 4% grades. This is our first time going to National Parks as all of our MH travel has been sporting competitions where we camp at the event. Trying for late August/September as would like to miss the crowds if possible.

Any suggestions or modifications to the routing is appreciated.

sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridany View Post
We are planning a trip this summer from the bay area through Las Vegas down 99 to 58 and then to 15 up to LV. Our first stop is zion river resort in Virgin, UT.
Hwy 9 looks to be okay getting there. From there we are going to Trailer Village in the Grand Canyon and we go Hwy 89 across and down and then up via 64. We head home from there via the lower route across Az and back up home.

Driving a 40ft DP with a toad. From looking at the route, It does not look too bad and RV Trip Wizard indicates some areas with 4% grades. This is our first time going to National Parks as all of our MH travel has been sporting competitions where we camp at the event. Trying for late August/September as would like to miss the crowds if possible.

Any suggestions or modifications to the routing is appreciated.
Sorry but I'm confused - Mission is to see Grand Canyon and Zion? In what I'd call prime Time - No REALLY PRIME TIME . couple of options.....

What do You enjoy? Hiking - Photography - Scenery - Drives......

I'd suggest just heading East from Home - out RT 50 to I-15 in Utah - then to Bryce, as with it;s elevation it will be cooler allowing you to catch Goblins on the way and then either Zion and the North Rim - again cooler - as it has more elevation - then if the Heat is not an Issue you could head back to/through Vegas and home.

Just a thought,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #3

Revise routing

Just looking at RVTW it seems I am missing some better less crowded options instead of hitting the two big ones. Thanks for that advice. I have to look at this in more detail. I have heard north rim is better than south but a challenging drive in a 40 ft coach towing.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #4

From Virgin, UT to the South Rim don't continue east on Hwy 9. You'll have the tunnels and a steep curvy climb to get to 89.

Instead, from Virgin go back west on Hwy 9 a short distance to Hurricane and pick up UT59 which becomes AZ389 taking you to Fredonia, AZ. Then you can either go north to Kanab, UT and take 89 east to Page, AZ and south to 64 west into Grand Canyon South Rim. Or.... at Fredonia you could take 89A to Jacob Lake, AZ (no lake there) and take 89A to 89 then south on 89 to 64 west to the South Rim.

From Fredonia, AZ it's a very easy drive to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. There a RV park at Jacob Lake and continuing to the North Rim there's a very nice forest service campground at the North Rim gate called DeMotte campground. Our 40' fit there. Just beyond DeMotte toward the North Rim on the right is a forest road - flat, well graded gravel. You would just have to drive about 1/2 mi. on it and you'll begin to see some lovely boondocking spots. Before DeMotte, the shoulder is very wide for you to park and disconnect the toad for some exploring of campsites.

Have a good trip! Beautiful country. If you have the time, definitely take in some of the other national parks in the area - Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands and Arches.

None of the above will give you any problems with your RV. We've done them many times with our 40' MH towing the Jeep.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:14 PM   #5

Thanks!

Awesome information as I am new to seeing parks. Will definitely look at the other places you recommended. Looking forward to this trip.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridany View Post
Awesome information as I am new to seeing parks. Will definitely look at the other places you recommended. Looking forward to this trip.
Think if you are looking for really Good Advice - Do a Search with twogypsies in the search - Lots of really good info for your first trip into the National Parks Systems.

Below is a short list on links with more info on the area might help;

Travel to Zion National Park Utah

Utah 5

https://mountainbased.com/?gclid=EAI...SAAEgJNffD_BwE

Utah National Park Tour

https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/visitation-numbers.htm

Just a little more info on the parks might help - but in Utah it's also filled with National Monuments and State Parks along with so many other really amazing sights to visit.

You have Picked two of the top 5 Parks in the USA - In Prime Time - so if a wild and personally great experience is what you are after with Nature and few people you are likely not going to Experience it. Grand Canyon is Grand and very Popular year round - Zion is so Popular that you cannot even get into the park - You have to take a Bus - reminds me or Disneyland. .

Have you looked at the weather for the trip - https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/UTNPZION:13:US - not trying to be a negative inflence on your trip but beig your first venture into the National Parks it should be - IMHO - Good - Really Good.

Don't get me Wrong - they are popular because they are Great - and they should be on your list - just with a little more prep and Knowledge, they and can be Fun too.

Think I'm just getting carried away but just trying to give you a little perspective.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national