Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tx -> ar -> il -> mi

Looking for recommendations - especially areas with access to water or are kid-friendly...

cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Looking for recommendations - especially areas with access to water or are kid-friendly...

If you get near Champaign, IL check out D&W Lake Camping in Central, Illinois

It is a small CG (28 or so RV spots) just north of the intersection of I-74 & I-57. There are some reasonable routes from that area into MI.

It might be a little light on water access (as in water play ground) but it has a nice, private fishing pond which doesn't require a fishing license. All the main spots are nicely tree covered and pretty darn wide. It is a quiet place but not stuffy. $25 a night with full hook ups and most sites are pull through w/50 amp. Sandee, Gunny, Thor and I are "resident" there until we retire later this year. We are very happy with it.

Were you looking to go up I-57 or more like I-70 across towards Indianapolis? I guess your final destination in MI will be a major factor. Going up I-57. Anything west of Battle Creek might make I-57 a good way to go. Lansing and east I-70 to I-69 looks good but...I have heard I-69 is horrible.

We were on I-69 a couple weeks ago when we went to Charlotte, MI. I-69 wasn't too bad north of I-94 but I've been on better. I wouldn't re-route around it because it wasn't that bad. On our return to home we detoured through Fort Wayne on I-69 to stay a couple days at Indiana Beach in Monticello, IN. I don't recall it being bad at all once we got south of I-94. I think the worst is south of there.

All that being said...I may have I-69 confused with reports about I-65 south of Indianapolis.

One consideration that you might be interested in is Indiana Beach in Monticello, IN. It is a water/amusement park that might be in line with what you are looking for the kids. Park rides, boats to rent but a bit too crowded for my tastes.

There are 3 CGs I am familiar with there. 2 are run by Indiana Beach Resorts Indiana Beach Amusement Resort: Amusement Park, Hotel, Campground & Waterpark

We stayed at the NASCAR one twice this year. The off season visit was nice and quiet but Memorial Day weekend was a zoo! They have a lot of seasonal spots through out the park. That means LOTS of golf carts. LOL They have some stuff to do in the CG along with shuttles to the IB park. We stayed in section K which was the far NW part of the CG and thus didn't have as much traffic going around us.

The other CG we stayed in last year was Lost Acres RV Home - Lost Acres RV Park

Again, a lot of seasonal spots and golf carts. A little off to the NW of Indian Beach but not far. It gets you off of the main drag along IB.

Good Luck.

Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you're looking at heading up I55 from West Memphis, you can go east across the Mississippi near Dyersburg, TN then north on US51 and take advantage of Land Between the Lakes on the Tennessee/Kentucky border, then go on up either I24 to I57 or the Western Kentucky Parkway to E'town where you can pick up I65 north.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar
Check out De Gray Lake State park just off I 30 East of Arkadelphia. Large lake Beaches for kids, boat rentals etc.
2008 Jeep Sahara '4Dr"
Ronnie Bledsoe
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
We stay at Lake De Gray every year... We'll definitely hit it again on the way up. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Looking at Indiana Beach right now..
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
Some places I have been:..the diamond mine state park in Arkansas, beautiful park. Dig in the dirt to find diamonds..... Sikeston Mo. has the "home of the throwed rolls" at Lamberts restaurant. .. So, Illinois, rend lake area, corps of engineers, great campgrounds, one very big man made lake...
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Thumbs up Don't miss Michigan's West Coast

Your map looks as though you're destination is somewhere near Traverse City, MI. Very good choice. But, it looks as though your route is missing some wonderful spots along the Lake Michigan Shoreline. If you take 31/I-196 north off I-94, you'll have great stops with Lake Michigan access at South Haven, Saugatuck and Grand Haven. Grand Haven State Park is right on the Lake Michigan Beach, and is a delightful town, as are the others I mentioned. Once you're near Traverse City, you've arrived about 20 miles east of the Sleeping Bear National Shoreline. Good Morning America held a National poll two summers ago to find the area that Americans considered America's Most Beautiful Destination. Yup, The Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore won. Just drive east from Traverse City on 72, an excellent road, to Empire, MI, a tiny town with a picture perfect beach, and you're at the Sleeping Bear on Michigan's wonderful Leelanau Peninsula; Michigan at her finest. Then you'll discover the other delights of The Leelanau! Have a safe and enjoyable trip, and feel free to Private Message me if you'd like more info.

Coach: '05 National TropiCal T370 Toad: '07 Saturn Aura Blog:On The Road With Dar 'n' Don
michguy is offline   Reply With Quote