Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
U.S. Hy 12 beteen Roundup, MT and Three Forks, MT

Road advice appreciated for June from Roundup, MT (45 miles north of Billings) to Three Forks, MT via east on U.S. HY 12 to HY 287 at Townsend, then south on HY287 into Three Forks. Any 8% grades to climb? If not recommended, can always go south to I-90 and then east.

Later in the trip, we are at Butte, MT. Plan is south on I-15, then first alternative: From Divide, MT east on HY 43 to Wisdom, MT or second alternative: Going further south on I-15 to Dillon, MT and east on HY 278 to Wisdom.

Next: Further east to HY 93, then south to Challis, MT, where we pick up HY 75 southeast to Stanley, ID.

Any thoughts on any of the three legs and the alternatives, much appreciated.

Again Thanks. Vince
Vince & Patricia, Carson City, NV, FMCA, RVMutants#130
With: Ch. "Carrie", Std. Schnauzer & "Sophie" Cocker
'06 Phaeton 40QDH + '11 Fiesta w/ AirForceOne.
"It is more important to know the journey is the destination than to get there quickly."
desertvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I think you meant to say west everytime you said east first of all.
We rarely ever take 12 as we prefer 90 for higher speeds, cheaper fuel, etc. Since 12 follows the river its relatively flat by MT standards. If you end up at 12& 287 a drive north to Canyon Ferry Lake may interest you. "Wheat Montana" Bakery at 287 and I90 is a must stop. Homestake Pass on 90 between Whitehall and Butte is a long hard pull. If you drop down to 2 and cross the Divide over Pipestone it's an easier pull and takes you to Harrison Ave in Butte.
From Dillon west to Wisdom you have 2 passes in the 7000' range. From Divide is an easier climb with a couple small campgrounds.
93 is a good road.............Isn't Challis in ID??
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Corrections

Thanks BigskyMt, you are of course correct..."east" means "west" and Challis is in ID, not MT. Suggestions also appreciated.
Vince & Patricia, Carson City, NV, FMCA, RVMutants#130
With: Ch. "Carrie", Std. Schnauzer & "Sophie" Cocker
'06 Phaeton 40QDH + '11 Fiesta w/ AirForceOne.
"It is more important to know the journey is the destination than to get there quickly."
desertvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #4

Vince,

We spent a week in Townsend, MT last year. We used 287 between I-90 & I-15 and had no problems. Townsend is well worth a stop, but do not stay in town. About 7 miles north (US-287) or west (12 - combined road now) is the Silos Rec Area on Canyon Ferry lake. The CG is down PAST the KOA, no hookups, water available and right on the lake. This is one of those oh wow places that you don't want to leave. $5 bucks with Golden Age and dump at the KOA by agreement with the BLM for $4.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2392.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	10051   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2396.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	10052