Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2018, 11:06 PM   #1

US 191 Green River UT to Vernal UT

Anyone have any experience on this route? Any steep uphill grades to worry about tranny temps and EGT temps? Towing a 34 foot fiver at approximately 15,000 pounds. Also welcome options for a better route...

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Btipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2018, 12:52 AM   #2

It's been awhile for me so maybe others can give you more detailed and up-to-date information. I remember taking that exact route you've planned on taking and it is very scenic. However, if you're worried about grades --and grades alone-- you might want to take a different route.

U.S.191 hits almost 10,000 feet in elevation twice. Once at the Indian Summit (elevation ~9,100 ft.) and then again going over the Uintah Mountains where there are lots of switchbacks. The roadway itself is good from what I can remember but, as I say, if you're worried specifically about grades, I'd probably recommend taking an alternate route. Like I say, maybe others will have different opinions.

As far as alternate routes, I guess you could go over Douglas Pass on U.S. 139 as that's not quite as high in elevation but still could be taxing as I seem to remember it having 7% grades in short stretches but the summit itself is under 9,000 ft. It would be this route shown on Google Maps HERE

The only other route I can think of that may take you more out of the way but might be more level is to remain on I-70 to CO-SH13 to CO-SH64 to U.S. 40. I've never been on this routing so I can't comment on it first-hand but maybe some others can. The grades are mostly on the interstate so you can just take it easy and just keep pace with the semis. It is shown HERE on Google Maps.

Lots of forum participants from Colorado on the forum so I'm sure they can give better feedback.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btipton View Post
Anyone have any experience on this route? Any steep uphill grades to worry about tranny temps and EGT temps? Towing a 34 foot fiver at approximately 15,000 pounds. Also welcome options for a better route...

Thanks in advance,

Bob
RT 191 worked fine for us, I never even knew I was supposed to worry about the grades when we drove it, Beautiful drive.

IMHO if you've made it to Green River you have already been over the higher passes and should be fine. Just take it easy and enjoy the VIew. Pretty sure you will be fine.

After Dino NM be sure to run up to Flaming Gorge and enjoy that too.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #4

Thanks everyone. After looking at Google Maps and trucker’s atlas, CO 139 looks doable. A few switchbacks but it is listed as a truck route. 168 miles to Vernal from where we are.

Now just have to get moving before the wind picks up...

Bob
Old 06-09-2018, 11:05 PM   #5

Well, after further information from the Colorado DOT website, decided against CO 139 and took US 191. Apparently, CO 139 is in pretty rough shape due to the amount of truck traffic and lack of maintenance.

US 191 is in good shape. There is a significant pull once you leave Price, UT, but didn’t have any problems. Just took it easy, as suggested. Tranny temp maxed at 168 degrees, and EGTs spike at around 1100 degrees. Coolant temp spiked at 221 degrees, but when the fan clutch engaged even that came down. Was able to maintain 35-40 mph in a combination of third and fourth gears.

Wouldn’t hesitate to do it again if in the area. Beautiful scenery!