RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #1

US-395 in CA; the nitty gritty, please

Hi All-
Before RV days, MANY years ago, we have traveled 395 in California. We have our Mountain Directory and see many caution indicators between Reno, NV and Bishop, CA.
However, on searching the forums, many people drive on it.

We have a 22' TT and are pulling it with a Toyota Tundra.
We are excellent and experienced drivers, but newbies with our TT.

Please comment on your experiences with 395, going north and south.
Thanks!!

LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #2

I never did this in my trailer but twice weekly in an 18 wheeler no issues except in snow storms

Don and ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:18 PM   #3

Mountain Directory I think is just referring to the grades. No problem towing a RV over it.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #4

I've been that way in both directions.....not a problem...
Old 02-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #5

Thank you all so much!
Old 02-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #6

Gorgeous drive for all size RVs. Not now though - 8-10' of snow!

You really won't have any issues on just about any road out there with your small RV.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #7

and try not to stop for gas in Bridgeport $$$
Old 02-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #8

It is the only route we use going N&S in CA there is a long but straight grade/climb N of Bishop
Old 02-04-2019, 09:35 PM   #9

Location: 2007 jeep wrangler toad. lifted and locked.US Army Vet 1972-1975 2nd Armored Division
In bad weather you can always go around by taking hey 6 out of Bishop over Montgomery pass to Hwy 95 north. About the same amount of time to Reno or visa versa.
G jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:14 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We travel 395 many time during the year. I prefer it to I-5 and the valley. Top off your tank in Bishop if northbound and in Gardnerville if southbound. Avoid the stations in Bridgeport due to much higher prices. I have towed a 36 foot FW with my F350 with no problems. We now have the DP and tow a Ford Explorer.

A daytime drive allow you to enjoy the view.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:11 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be sure to stop and spend some time, there are many beautiful camping areas.
Two of our favorite, Convict Lake, south of Mammoth Lakes, Alabama Hills, west of Lone Pine.
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Beautiful area, beautiful views, good solid road that is well maintained and generally free of problems.

Bishop is beautiful and there is a city park across from Schat's Bakkery with plenty of RV parking right off main street.

However, large storms are inevitable and it can only be cleared so fast. 10' of snow in a few days and closures are inevitable. It was just closed the other day over night but they do a good job of getting cleared and opened ASAP.

You should have chains year round. They aren't that expensive. Do not ignore Chain warnings. You don't need to put them on, and it's ok to just go slow and wait til you lose traction, but be ready to have them and use them. You only need one set for dualies, and put them on the outside tires. There will be people charging $40/axle to put them on for you, but it's not that hard if you don't mind getting dirty.

I just drove it in a 36' Class A in the middle of giant storm last weekend and never had a single problem on 395, and didn't have any problems anywhere else once we got chains on.

You probably already have chains but I'll be honest I feel like a huge idiot for not having them already and sliding all over the place last weekend and I just want to make sure nobody else repeats my mistake because it was simply stupid to risk it. Glad that nothing really bad happened as a result but it easily could have.
CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G jeffers View Post
In bad weather you can always go around by taking hey 6 out of Bishop over Montgomery pass to Hwy 95 north. About the same amount of time to Reno or visa versa.
Yup, used that route year 'round pulling semi loads of "swinging meat" for several years..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:50 PM   #14

Thanks! We have driven up and down California many times and are not fans of I-5. I only like 99 for the wine
We love the Yosemite/ Sequoia area and prefer to drive 395. Thanks for the info!