Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2005, 07:09 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
What is the condition of 395 north of Reno. Hills and decents?
Thank you for your input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2005, 07:09 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
What is the condition of 395 north of Reno. Hills and decents?
Thank you for your input.

Old 08-25-2005, 07:38 PM   #3

Tom & Patty,
My answer to your question is that it depends on how far you plan to drive north on 395. If you plan to go all the way into Oregon and Idaho, you'll find 395 very easy... some gentle hills occasionally, but no high mountain passes (rarely more that a 500' ascent). Leaving Susanville you will encounter the highest grade, about a 2-3 mile climb of no more than 1,000'. We live just west of Susanville, CA and 395 is our main route to Reno, and we prefer it when we are heading north, also.

If you plan to leave 395 before hitting Oregon 20 and the Idaho border to the northeast, then you need to check that route off 395, but 395 is good. Make sure you fill your tanks in Lakeview, OR before you go further. The prices are better than CA, and it is a long haul to anywhere else after that.

Happy traveling.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:21 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Paul, thank you. We are headed for Yakima, so will take 395 all the way. Last time we were that way was 20 years ago. Can't remember a thing about the road.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:30 PM   #5

Enjoy your stay in our fair city.

2000 Fleetwood Discovery
Colesmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:08 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I don't know if we will actually get to Yakima. We will be staying in Toppenish for an Alpine Coach homecoming rally Oct 4th to the 9th. We will be sure to take back to Ca some of the wonderful Yakima produce! Hope it is apple picking time!

Thank you for all the help
Old 09-11-2005, 04:19 PM   #7

Hi T&P,
You can now bring back all the out-of-state produce you want to. CA no longer requires the casual traveler to stop at the border crossing stations to declare what produce or plants you're bringing into the state. They only stop commercial carriers. This change occurred about the first of 2005.

Enjoy all the wonderful Washington produce you can carry.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #8

I don't know about CA now allowing POVs to pass thru the Ag inspection now.

A couple friends from San Diego returned 3 weeks ago thru Yuma on I-8 and had to eat two bananas that they admitted having had on board before being allowed to continue. They were in a new Buick sedan.

'01 34'Carri-Lite, 5ver
h2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:00 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A couple friends from San Diego returned 3 weeks ago thru Yuma on I-8 and had to eat two bananas that they admitted having had on board before being allowed to continue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope they didn't hold up the line

I'll have Patty make me apple pie then
Old 09-23-2005, 06:00 PM   #10

My earlier comment on the CA Border Patrol no longer checking POV's was based on personal experience crossing the CA/NV border after shopping in Reno on several occasions this year, and this week crossing into CA at the OR border on Hwy 101. Only commercial trucks are being inspected. A local CHP officer told me the change occured in early 2005.

Those who were stopped coming in from Yuma must have had a "suspicious" look on their faces. ;-)

Old 09-27-2005, 12:13 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Those who were stopped coming in from Yuma must have had a "suspicious" look on their faces. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've gone from Yuma towards SanDiego many times and i can't remember ever having had to come to a complete stop at the border. Usually just a wave through. Fact is, i can't even recall some of those. I though you just drove across.
Hopefully i haven't been just driving thru without noticing the Agent trying to stop me.

That 395 trip up NorCal into Oregon sounds like the trip though. I love that terrirory.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #12

Hi, We're looking for an alternative to I-5 and 99 from No.Ca. to Washington. (Motto: Take me up a road I've never been on!) Is 395 better than these?
A trip to Reno from where we are would be fun and only a few hours.

97 Winnebago Adventurer
taletellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:24 PM   #13

Hi taletellers,
I think 395 is better. It certainly is not as boring as I-5 or 99 (altho' 4 of our grandkids live near 99 in Yuba City and Chico). If you are comfortable driving 55 to 60 on 2-lane roads without the traffic, you'll love 395. You'll encounter freeway in the Reno area, but other than that you will enjoy the scenery and the lack of pressure.

Can you get to 395 over Hwy 4 at this time? If not, take Hwy 49 to 50, then 193 to 80. Once you get to Reno on 80 you can pick up 395. If you pick it up from Hwy 4, you have lots of great country before you get to Reno, too.