Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
US 89 Gardiner, MT to West Yellowstone mid Sept

In a 40 ft gasser moho traveling from Gardiner, MT to West Yellowstone in mid Sept. How are grades and weather. Will be hauling the toad on a dolly.

Generally this rig handles grades well, but is this a safe and frequently traveled moho route?

Thanks!

Joe

Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
If you are going to Livingston from Gardiner and then to Bozeman, you have one grade and its easy

Old 07-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We always stay in W. Yellowstone, and have used every entrance except the North East. All are fine but using 191 from I/90 is by far the easiest to drive. It just depends where you are coming from. We use the East entrance the most. We had a 35' & a 38" gasser and now a 41' DP; none had a problem with any entrance. You just don't want to do the N.E., Bear Tooth Hwy!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks all the planned rt is Livingston- Gardiner- then 89/191 to West Yellowstone. Been through Yellowstone from the south before- once in a moho and then across one time in a truck camper so familiar with those routes. never down through that northwest route before to west Yellowstone. This new rig is larger and pulling the toad so have been wanting to know what I'm up against.

Saw some grades on US 89 in the " Mountain Directory" labeled 6% south of Gardiner and before Mammoth Hot Springs, but could not get a good handle on it. 6% doesn't bother me much unless I'm missing something. (Bad switchbacks?)
Old 07-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #5

I think you are planning to come into Yellowstone from the north to Gardiner to Mammoth and driving through the park to W. Yellowstone. If so, you'll have some 6-8% grades with curves to travel within the park. Also, a few areas without guardrails. Mid-Sept you won't have as many vehicles on the roads. It just depends how you feel about mountain driving.

We've done it with a 40' diesel MH towing the Jeep but not on a dolly.

Where are you coming from before Gardiner? It's a much easier route from I-80 west to Bozeman and south on 191 to W. Yellowstone.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coming in from east on 90

We'll be coming in from the east on I-90 then off at Livingston and down through Mammoth. We've been to Yellowstone a couple of times before but never through the 89 Mammoth/ Gardiner corridor. Rather than backtracking from West Yellowstone with the toad, we thought we'd just come in to Gardiner for a couple of days and use the toad to run around the NW area of the park, then move south with the toad connected to West Yellowstone for a few more days.

Been down 191 before- just thought we'd try it this way of not too bad on the moho. Thanks for the advice.

Joe
Old 07-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #7

americanrasc- Thanks for asking the question! And thanks to you who answered. We will also be in YNP mid-Sept and I had wondered about US 89 vs US 191. Have a great trip!
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
We love the drive on 191 between Bozeman and West Yellowstone. We have come in from the Gardiner side on 89, really don't like the drive, winding and narrow road in places.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Parking around Mammoth Hot springs

Thanks for your help with this. I googled a good bit of the route and think we'll go ahead and make this trek down through Gardiner to West Yellowstone. We had wanted to stay at Mammoth CG but see that if you don't get there before noon getting a site- even in mid Sept?-is unlikely. Given we can't make that time slot we best stay in Gardiner.

But I'd like to pull the rig (about 55' with toad) over at Mammoth to see the springs and stuff. I noticed as you approach the springs there seemed to be one large vehicle lot for buses (and RV's?) at the entrance to the area. Is that area available to RV's? I noticed several large buses there but no RV's on Google maps. Has anyone on here used that pull off for large motorhomes with toad or 5th wheels??? We will be in that venue very early in the morning. Thanks for any guidance
Old 07-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
There is a lot alongside the road on the left when traveling north that has bus parking. it's just past the hot springs. It will fit your coach but I do not think that it will fit the toad while attached. When we were there last year, the area was full of cars and people and the few spots that I saw in that lot were occupied.

The problem with bringing your coach and toad into that area and NOT finding a place to park both of them is that you soon will be going upgrade into the interior of YNP.

CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote