RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
US Hwy 31 in Indiana?

I drove this today and I wish I could find more roads like it. It had a few red lights, but the ride was much better than an interstate. Plus it had a lot less vehicles on it than the interstates do. I was expecting the worst being I have read that the roads in Indiana are bad.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 06:04 PM   #2

US 31 north of Indy has been mostly rebuilt and re-routed over the last 10-15 years so it is in better shape than most roads. It is my favorite road to get to the north parts of the state.

That said, yes Indiana has some of the worse roads we have driven on. After raising our gas taxes last year, they are really going to town on the roads this year. They keep bragging about spending $100 mil just in the Indy area this year on repair and resurfacing.

So maybe a couple years from now I will actually not be able to tell when we cross back into Indiana. It's pretty bad when coming from Illinois who also have bad roads, and you can clearly tell the downward degrade of the roads as you cross the state line.

Steve

Old 09-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by photraveller View Post
US 31 north of Indy has been mostly rebuilt and re-routed over the last 10-15 years so it is in better shape than most roads. It is my favorite road to get to the north parts of the state.

That said, yes Indiana has some of the worse roads we have driven on. After raising our gas taxes last year, they are really going to town on the roads this year. They keep bragging about spending $100 mil just in the Indy area this year on repair and resurfacing.

So maybe a couple years from now I will actually not be able to tell when we cross back into Indiana. It's pretty bad when coming from Illinois who also have bad roads, and you can clearly tell the downward degrade of the roads as you cross the state line.

Steve
While coming around the 495 loop at Indy I could see a lot of construction going on.
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #4

We just came home from MN & WI, by coming down I-65 to Indy to stay at the KOA on the east side just off I-70, then after a few days went south to I-65.

A lot of the northern part has been completely repaved,very smooth.
Lots of construction of I-465 beltway, but remember, original construction was started in the late 1960's. I WILL say that by late fall, the southern portion of I-65 should be done.

BTW, I-465 is completely closed on the southeaast side from I-70 to I-65. You can exit onto I-70 E or W. When we left the KOA, we went SR 9 to Shelbyville, then SR 44 to I-65 and avoided the official detour thru downtown Indy.

IMO, Illinois roads are the worst, although they are repaving. Some sections of I39 and I57 are terrible.
Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #5

Thanks for the update. Even though we live here, we haven't been able to do much traveling this year, so I really didn't know the extent of the progress being made outside the Indy area.

On 465 on the SE side, they have only closed it one direction for two weeks or so at a time. North bound is already finished and south bound is due to open in a week or so.

As big of a pain it is to close a portion of the loop, we saw first hand the result of not closing it earlier this summer, a trucker killed a couple people and hit something like seven vehicles as he entered a construction zone on the north side of 465 and NEVER applied the brakes until after contact.

Steve
Old 09-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #6

During our 16 years of full-timing we rarely drove interstates. The US and state highways are awesome! You see a lot more of the countryside and less traffic.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #7

Agree. The best improvement was the bypass around Kokomo

Quote:

Steve
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Agree. The best improvement was the bypass around Kokomo
Agreed

In my working days, one of our good customers was in Peru, so I spent way too many rush hours trying to drive through Kokomo with the lights and side by side fully loaded semis.

Steve
Old 09-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Agreed

In my working days, one of our good customers was in Peru, so I spent way too many rush hours trying to drive through Kokomo with the lights and side by side fully loaded semis.

Steve
Yeah, in the early 90's, I used to live in Noblesville and commuted to Kokomo to work at Delco Electronics. For a long time everyone referred to Kokomo as "Stop Light City". The 31 bypass around the east side was built to avoid going thru the dowtown. Now there is a bypass of the bypass.

Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote