Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2015, 06:45 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Utah backroads in a 36' MH

We want to explore a lot of the back-roads of Utah, especially slot canyons and the like. We will be driving a 36 ft. Class A, no trailer. There is very little information on various roads. I know a lot of roads are not paved. Some that are packed gravel I would think would be OK but then others not.

Any ideas on how to find out which ones are good and which ones are not?

I am particularly interested in hwy 1012 just west of goblin state park?

Thanks

Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Talk to the Utah State Visitors Bureau. They have a vested interest in tourism as well as tourist safety.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #3

Google Earth shows 1012 is paved west for a few miles to a parking lot ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:43 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
Google Earth shows 1012 is paved west for a few miles to a parking lot ...
skigramp - You are correct. I should have been more specific. What I am asking is in general would you drive a class A on some gravel roads in Utah.

The route I am specifically asking about is:
- Take I70 exit 131, cnty road 332 (on the north).
- Turn south of the exit and then take the west frontage road called Temple Mt Rd
- Turn right on cnty road 322
- That meets upwith cnty road 1012 and continue south.

My question in general is would you stay only on paved roads or how far off the beaten path would you take an MH assuming fairly smooth gravel roads?

Thanks

Tom
Old 02-04-2015, 07:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I've driven our 35' coach pulling a Jeep on unpaved roads in CO and UT. From experience I can tell you that doing a little advanced planning in Google Earth is a good thing, however you won't know the road conditions until you get there. Roads that were smooth a month ago may be all washboard and rutted today. A recent rain may make it a muddy mess and even dangerously slick. Etc, etc. Probably not an issue near Goblin SP is also the potential for low overhanging trees. If we have a question and don't want to get into a bad situation we'll just unhook the Jeep and scout before taking the coach up.

In general, as long as you are patient, don't mind driving slowly and there is room to maneuver and let other pass you should be fine. Just be mentally prepared to change your plans if the road is not passable, its not worth damaging your coach. For us, some of the best coach camping can be found at the end of a dirt road.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:37 AM   #6

Tom,

If it is the Little Wild Horse Slot Canyon you are trying to get to, it is easier to go to Goblin Valley State Park and go right just before the entrance to the park. It a good road to the parking area at the trailhead. But, I was very disappointed in the canyon. It has very little color and is mostly a dull gray. It does not photograph well. You can camp at the state park or if you go past the road that goes to Goblin Valley, there is a BLM area. Goblin Valley is worth the trip. It is as interesting group of unusual formations
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTallTom View Post
skigramp - You are correct. I should have been more specific. What I am asking is in general would you drive a class A on some gravel roads in Utah.

The route I am specifically asking about is:
- Take I70 exit 131, cnty road 332 (on the north).
- Turn south of the exit and then take the west frontage road called Temple Mt Rd
- Turn right on cnty road 322
- That meets upwith cnty road 1012 and continue south.

My question in general is would you stay only on paved roads or how far off the beaten path would you take an MH assuming fairly smooth gravel roads?

Thanks

Tom
Hello, Tom.

I will share my experience with your general question pertaining to staying on paved roads or not. It is boring to just keep the moho on paved roads! With that being said, I can tell you what it sounds like when the windshield pops out of the lower left corner when you are navigating a bumpy dirt road. Or the sound made when the windshield gets a stress crack from tweaking the frame too much while exiting a National Forest CG onto a washed out roadway. Oh well, that is why they invented RV insurance with zero deductible on glass coverage, eh? If I had to always keep her on a paved roadway, I think I would just own a tent. However, what others have already recommended to you concerning using Google Earth or local authorities is worth listening to. I have backed out of long dirt roads before after finding out the hard way that there was no place to turn around. Now, when faced with the unknown dirt roads, we simply disconnect the Jeep and go check it out.

Have fun, be safe, and make sure you have glass replacement insurance!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Firebug - thanks for the information.

We are an exploring family and want to get off the beaten path. I am more than willing to go slow and I have no issues backing the MH back down the road I came (learned from mater ).

Most of the roads looks pretty good and as always need to keep in mind what can happen over time.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tom, we are planning on visiting Utah this spring, let us know how your trip off the beaten path goes! Thanks.

Bruce
Old 02-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Tom, we are planning on visiting Utah this spring, let us know how your trip off the beaten path goes! Thanks.

Bruce
Bruce - I think the tables are the other way. We are not planning on going until late summer, early fall. It was just a question I had as we plan out our year.

So I look forward to hearing from you where you went and how it went.

Tom
Old 02-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #11

We've traveled many unpaved back roads with our 40' motorhome, including in Utah. However, we would typically disconnect the Jeep and drive it first in the Jeep to make sure it's suitable for the motorhome. That system worked very well and we were able to get into a lot of areas that were questionable. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTallTom View Post
Bruce - I think the tables are the other way. We are not planning on going until late summer, early fall. It was just a question I had as we plan out our year.

So I look forward to hearing from you where you went and how it went.

Tom
Will do, Tom. Still in the planning stage, but will likely start around Moab and continue SW thru Utah.

Bruce
Old 02-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check out Canyon Rims Rec Area 40 miles south of Moab. BLM area with great boondocking places.
Plus 2 campgrounds suitable for your rig. We host at Windwhistle in the spring.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We will be in UT in Apr between two races. Coming from a race near Lake Havasu and starting out in Zion, then headed to Moab area after that. I have tried for 3 years to get reservations at Dead Horse Point SP. They only have a few sites for large rigs and they seem to get scooped up by folks staying a couple weeks. We are going to try some of the BLM parks around there, hoping to get a good spot on the river for a few nights.

One back road you don't want to take in your MH on is UT 261, unless your stopping at Goosenecks SP. It is in the Monument Valley area near Mexican Hat. Only if you have a toad and and no fear for heights. It is called the Moki Dugway and is well with the effort.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote