Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Utah Sept 2020 Trip

Next year we are looking to run through Utah during that last 3 weeks of September. I'm not particularly paranoid about driving in the mountains just looking to see if this routing presents and serious challenges I'm not aware of.

Coming out of Denver on I-70:

HWY 24 SW from I-70 to Torrey (With side trips to Moab/Arches NP & Goblin Valley)

HWY 12 From Torrey - Escalante - Bryce (Escalante & Bryce NP)

Bryce HWY 12 - HWY 89 - HWY 20 - I-15S - Hurricane (Zion NP)

Hurricane - HWY 89 - Page AZ - Prescott (Lake Powell)

We've done Grand Canyon a couple times so we will pass it up this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 5.09.15 PM.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	269557  
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2019, 05:26 PM   #2

The only one I see is maybe Hwy 12 outside Escalante. It has a 12% grade, but thousands of RV's go over it each year. It has spectacular views. We have been over it many times going both ways.

As a matter of fact we have been over all those roads a number of times. At Capital Reef, if you have a 4WD and are a bit adventurous, try the Harnett/Cathedral Road. Ask the rangers about conditions and directions.

You want to go to the Temples of the Sun and Moon. This a is gravel road that dips into some shallow water crossings a few times. Get out and walk thru them before driving but they are usually 4 or 6 inches deep. We have seen passenger cars driving it successfully. You will see more of the area on that road than a week driving around the park. Plan an all day trip.

The usual rain warnings for backcountry driving out there, if it starts seriously raining, go back.

https://pbase.com/photoburner/cathedral_valley_road

A gallery of our photos on one trip. I won't try to post here the limits are just silly.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just did the 24/12 route this fall.

HY 24 is nothing to even blink about, IMO, one long gradual climb. Hmm, that is about all I remember.

Hy 12 is going to depend on your comfort level. Several up and down just use common sense. Some of the road is rough. Not much in way of shoulders.

There is one grade that is marked 14% and curvy for a few miles. Good thing the DW didn't see the sign as she was heading to the back. It is also the most scene spot. Due diligence is required. Just another mountain road IMO.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #4

We've done all those roads multiple times with our 40' motorhome. No issues for us. I can't see why you would pass them up! Gorgeous!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
[QUOTE=Agesilaus;5075720]...

As a matter of fact we have been over all those roads a number of times. At Capital Reef, if you have a 4WD and are a bit adventurous, try the Harnett/Cathedral Road. Ask the rangers about conditions and directions.

We just bought a new Grand Jeep Overland (like a trail hawk with more "stuff".) I'm thinking this could be a great use of its capabilities. Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning to use it on anything serious but it sounds like these kinds of roads are within its capabilities.

You want to go to the Temples of the Sun and Moon. This a is gravel road that dips into some shallow water crossings a few times. ...

I've copied some bookmarks into my Trip Wizard notes to remind me of this.

Thanks for the photo links.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post

Hy 12 is going to depend on your comfort level. Several up and down just use common sense. Some of the road is rough. Not much in way of shoulders.

There is one grade that is marked 14% and curvy for a few miles. ...
It looks like you are talking about the stretch between
Torrey & Escalante. Fore warned is fore armed. It sounds like it will be a bit of a slow speed slog but fun. At least it is only a tad over 100 miles which will give us time to use a couple of the scenic pull offs I am seeing.

THANKS!
Old 12-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #7
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Re-reading your original post I see you asked about Hy 20. Fairly good pull to the top then a long decent, some 40-45 mph corners, with a few 35 mph ones tossed in. Good road with nothing to get excited about, just pay attention.

I-15 south just another boring freeway.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #8

You won’t have any problems. You have a great coach with the power and engine braking that is more than adequate for the drive. Do worry about it, drive at the speed you’re comfortable with and make some memories.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #9

In unfamiliar areas, refer to Mountain Directory
http://www.mountaindirectory.com/ There is a West and East coast version. Both available in Paper Back or downloadable. Listing paved roads with 4% or steeper grades, and details for both directions. Approx.: $25 for both. I have been using them for 15 years.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Next year we are looking to run through Utah during that last 3 weeks of September. I'm not particularly paranoid about driving in the mountains just looking to see if this routing presents and serious challenges I'm not aware of.

Coming out of Denver on I-70:

HWY 24 SW from I-70 to Torrey (With side trips to Moab/Arches NP & Goblin Valley)

HWY 12 From Torrey - Escalante - Bryce (Escalante & Bryce NP)

Bryce HWY 12 - HWY 89 - HWY 20 - I-15S - Hurricane (Zion NP)

Hurricane - HWY 89 - Page AZ - Prescott (Lake Powell)

We've done Grand Canyon a couple times so we will pass it up this year.
Think you will be driving right Bye one of my all time Favorite drives - RT 128 along the Colorado River into Moab - Exit 214 south to RT 128 will reward you with a Very Special Drive - one that I will go Miles out of the way to Make.

With the Colorado River and the 1,000' Plus high Red Cliffs it is just Beautiful - https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...4dUDCAY&uact=5

Just a thought,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:03 PM   #11

My suggestion:
Leave your coach on the old road adjacent to Hwy 12 about .5 miles north of the "hogback" and take toad to Boulder and catch Burr Trail to Long Canyon. Look for "Singing Canyon " slot near west end of Long Canyon.
Take toad to Calf Creek Recreation area and hike to Lower Calf Creek Falls.
We love this area.
Rich
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf View Post
My suggestion:
Leave your coach on the old road adjacent to Hwy 12 about .5 miles north of the "hogback" and take toad to Boulder and catch Burr Trail to Long Canyon. Look for "Singing Canyon " slot near west end of Long Canyon.
Take toad to Calf Creek Recreation area and hike to Lower Calf Creek Falls.
We love this area.
Rich
Or... spend a night or two in the town of Escalante and explore along Hwy 12 with the towed vehicle.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote