Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
Forest River Owners Club
Post Utah SR-24 From Green River to Torre Utah

This summer I plan on a stay at Torre, Utah to explore Capitol Reef NP. The best way in for my 36' motorhome and toad appears to be SR-24 from the I-70 exit 149 through Hanksville and into Torre. Looks like an interesting drive. But that's the problem-road info is all descriptive scenic stuff and nothing on grades and elevation. Any one used that road who can supply some practical driving advice on the problems a motorhome might encounter?

Major-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Major-Jim View Post
This summer I plan on a stay at Torre, Utah to explore Capitol Reef NP. The best way in for my 36' motorhome and toad appears to be SR-24 from the I-70 exit 149 through Hanksville and into Torre. Looks like an interesting drive. But that's the problem-road info is all descriptive scenic stuff and nothing on grades and elevation. Any one used that road who can supply some practical driving advice on the problems a motorhome might encounter?
I can only help you as far as Hanksville. If you have time, stop off at Goblin Valley State Park on the way. It is on the right side of the road (west) before Hanksville and is pretty well marked. It is worth a few hours. Up to Hanksville the road is excellent and relatively flat. Beyond there I don't know, but I can't imagine the road getting bad. It is a fine road that I wouldn't hesitate to travel.

Denny & Kylene, Abby (Golden) and Josie (Sheltie),
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 38R, W22, Ultrapower
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You'll be fine on that road. It's an easy drive for an RV.
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
24 from I-70 to Hanksville is a great road, well taken care of - although we are having a lot of moisture this winter that may require some repaving. You can check the Utah DOT website to see if they plan to have construction. There is a climb once you turn off I-70 up to Gobblin Valley where the Hoodoos are, but it is straight uphill and not too bad, I've done it towing a loaded 40' toyhauler and more recently a 40' MH. The last time I went to see the Hoodoos, the road was gravel, so you might want to check before you go into the State park.

Otherwise 24 from I-70 is pretty straight. Once you get to the westerly turn at Hanksville toward Torrey, it is very curvy, but no switchbacks and no long mountain climbs. This section of 24 is one of the most scenic roads in the west as it cuts through the middle of Capitol Reef NP and is a favorite of motorcyclists.

There is another route to Torrey further west on I-70, it is the Price/Fremont/Loa exit - no services at this exit. Price is on highway 10 to the north and the little town named after John C. Fremont is to the south on Highway 72. 72 is a great road, and was repaved this year, but requires a pretty steep climb, although nothing that would be considered tough for a 5ver or MH. If you take this route, you'll come out on 24 about 16 miles west of Torrey at Loa. (Loa is where Lindsay Lohan was staying at one of the drug deprogramming camps there a few years back.)

I'd highly recommend taking 24 to Hanksville and then through Capitol Reef on your way there. We usually stay at Thousand Lakes RV on the west side of Torrey. Be sure to take a drive through Loa and Fremont then up to Johnson Reservoir and (the back way) to Fish Lake (yes, good fishing here) as the road is very scenic. You also need to drive from Torrey through Teasdale to the top of Boulder mountain on highway 12 south of Torrey and if you have the time, drive from the little town of Boulder to Escalante (or at least to the Calf Creek campground) so you can see the Hell's Backbone area.

Our favorite place to eat is a 4-star restaurant called Cafe Diablo about a half-mile from the Thousand Lakes RV park in Torrey, a little pricey, but run by a transplanted Austrian Master Chef. This is our backyard, enjoy!
gbonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
I agree with the above posts ...

Goblin is interesting ...

And UT24 all the way to Torrey is fine ...

I second the recommendation for Thousand Lakes RV Park ...

The drives and hikes in Capital Reef are really interesting ... we spent three days there ...

You will find UT12 between Boulder and Escalantee to be a tad on the challenging side ... a a couple of 8% grades ... and some sharp curves .. but is very scenic ... make sure you drive it your toad (or your motorhome)
2004 Winnebago Journey 39W - 2012 Buick Enclave
Present @home Home: Oshkosh, WI
We call our rig "Ernie the Journey"

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
American Coach Owners Club
We did the exact same route your planning just this past summer. We had no problems at all...road from I-70 into Hanksville was excellent and from there into Torrey was more scenic and twisty, but still very good road conditions (we were towing the Jeep). I'll second (or third) Thousand Lakes RV...we only stayed there 2 days (we are not hikers)but enjoyed our stay.

If you have the time or plan on going into Bryce Canyon and Zion NPs, I also would recommend taking 12 SE. We had planned on staying between Bryce and Zion(Long Vally Junction), but didn't like the campground, so we went a little further into Glendale on 89. Anyway, the first 1/3rd of 12 is an uphill challenge towing the Jeep, but we took our time (sometimes @ 20 mph)and the views were waaay worth the effort. Hell's Backbone is worth every white knuckle. It was a little intimidating but no problem towing or negotiating the curves...just spectacular scenery! When coming down off of the Backbone, it's a 12-14 % grade...I just put it in 1st gear. Didn't have to hit the brakes much cause you really can't go much faster anyway and didn't feel like we held anyone up. !2 is possibly my next favorite road of the whole trip. Road to the Sun, in Glacier came in first.(that one is definitely a toad road!)

After skirting Bryce, hang a left(south)on 89. There are a few CGs on 89 but we really liked Bauer's Ranch in Glendale. Nice park and even has a donkey welcoming committee. We stayed there a week and backtracked into Bryce to have a better look and also explored Zion. Of the 17 National Parks we visited, Zion was at the top of our favorites list. Then if need be, I-70 is just west of Zion. There were a few road construction sites in most NPs this past summer, but most delays were short. Safe travels, Bob

Edit: Heck, if ya got the time, keep heading south on 89...the North Rim really isn't that far away...We couldn't stay in the park so we stayed at Jacob Lake @ Kaibab RV Village and drove the Jeep in. : )

Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote