Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
VA to Key West

My post is similar to reubinrays trip to the keys. We are also looking at the end of April to first of May next spring with several of us caravaning in motorhomes. Many live next to I-81 in VA and will be figuring on at least 2 nights ( or 3) on the road down. We will end up on I-95 and are looking at first stop between Charleston SC and Savannah GA. Haven't figured out second night location yet until we figure final route. Open to suggestions in best route and stops in FL. I dread the traffic around or thru Miami and looking at various routes. All you snowbirds have tips I am sure. We are looking at 1050 miles for us and 1200 for some others. 400-450 miles per day is our max usually, but we have done 600 on interstate, but that gets old quickly in the mh with 1 primary driver.
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
My post is similar to reubinrays trip to the keys. We are also looking at the end of April to first of May next spring with several of us caravaning in motorhomes. Many live next to I-81 in VA and will be figuring on at least 2 nights ( or 3) on the road down. We will end up on I-95 and are looking at first stop between Charleston SC and Savannah GA. Haven't figured out second night location yet until we figure final route. Open to suggestions in best route and stops in FL. I dread the traffic around or thru Miami and looking at various routes. All you snowbirds have tips I am sure. We are looking at 1050 miles for us and 1200 for some others. 400-450 miles per day is our max usually, but we have done 600 on interstate, but that gets old quickly in the mh with 1 primary driver.
Plan on getting over on the Homestead extension of the Florida Turnpike. You will pay some tolls but that will be much preferable to staying on I95 until it runs out onto US1.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Plan on getting over on the Homestead extension of the Florida Turnpike. You will pay some tolls but that will be much preferable to staying on I95 until it runs out onto US1.

X2 on taking the turnpike. We went down I95 all the way and that was a mistake especially when we got below Port St Lucie. When we go again next year I will get on the turnpike as soon as I can.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #4

Guys...what about staying on the West side of Florida for the drive down. The I75 corridor has some nice places to stop. I loved the little town of Wintergarden FL. It has a wonderful RV park and the downtown is about as nice as any place i have visited. The Everglade portion of the drive is a bit boring but there is a ton to see if you are a nature freak.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
To go around Miami exit turnpike at Sawgrass Expressway SR 869. Take it to I-75 North to US 27 south. (75 north actually runs east and west at that point) To SR 997 south thru Homestead. Do not turn once on SR 997 as it dead ends into US 1 entering the Keys. To get from I 95 south to turnpike, exit at Ft Pierce SR 70. This will take you around any traffic problems in South Florida.
If you go down I 75 on the west side of Florida it take about 1 1/2 hours longer.
Having lived 18 miles north of the keys for 43 years I am well versed in these routes. From Va I81 to I77 south at Columbia S C to I 26 south to I 95 south.
Between Charlotte and here we stop at Blythe Island exit 29 I believe in Ga.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
THANKS EVERYONE! The info on the turnpike is very helpful. Now I just have to plan my stops.
Tom77hmstd many thanks, so you can make it to charlotte with just the one stop at Blyth Island exit 29. How many hours from there to Charlotte and how many hours from Homestead to Blyth Island. Just trying to figure driving times vs distances. I have driven straight thru to Orlando in 13 1/2 hours, but I was a zombie with road stare when I got there and not alert.
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are just looking to stop for the night, the rest stops on 95 in northern Florida are very welcoming. They are clean, and patrolled by some very nice guards. We usually make it from Phila to Key west in 2 days.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I travel to Mooresville N.C. on a regular basis for race car stuff.
The Fl. line is 1/2 way from Charlotte to Homestead, with the MH and trailer it takes 7 hours for me as I tend to stop a lot for 1/2 way. Blythe Island is about 30 miles into Ga so that is close to 1/2 way. We have tried some campgrounds in N Fl. but I can't really recommend a really good one but we have not tried them all.
I have tried every way there is to get trough the south Florida traffic mess and the way I go usually works best no matter what time of day although mileage wise it is a tad longer. With traffic concerns here to Key West takes 3-4 hours.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Tom77Hmst]
Between Charlotte and here we stop at Blythe Island exit 29 I believe in Ga.
Yes, Blythe Island, is in Brunswick, GA. A very nice place to overnight or hang out for 2 -3 days.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
Yes, Blythe Island, is in Brunswick, GA. A very nice place to overnight or hang out for 2 -3 days.
I guess I should of put Georgia in a different place I knew the Ga part it was the mm I was guessing. That campground is way nice and cheap too.