Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #1

Va to NH via 81-84 vice 81-78-287-87-84

We are leaving on our annual trip to NH day after Labor Day and was considering taking the so-called "truckers route" to New England vice our usual PA81-78-NJ287-NY Thruway-84-95. Has anyone recently taken the I81 to I84 route and what was the road conditions and traffic like? Many years ago we took the quickest route which was I95 but it was absolutely NASTY!!

We live in Northern Virginia.

Thanks!

Chuck
kayserc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We usually take 81 to 84 unless the weather looks bad. Those PA mountains can be very foggy or icy & snowy (but not when you are traveling). If we think it will be foggy we take 81 to 78 to PA 33 to US 209 and the back on 84 at the last exit it PA. 81 to 84 will have less traffic. Around Allentown it can get bad at rush hour.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #3

I agree with Cousin Ed except on I-78 just past the Fogelsville exit, take U.S. 22 east instead of I-78 which circles to the south of the Allentown-Bethlehem complex. Traffic might be a little heavier depending on the time of day but it is several miles shorter and eliminates one hill. U.S. 22 runs into PA 33 about 4 miles north of I-78. PA 209 crosses PA 33 but don't take these exits. The one for PA 209 that you want is on the east side of East Stoudsburg exiting off I-80. As of now, several miles of PA 209 are a little rough but manageable. In the Park it is two lane but smooth, 35 & 45 MPH.
The town of Milford is a tourist trap with people and cars but only a small town. In town, you will make a 90 degree right turn at a red light to head east and I-84 in about 5-6 miles.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #4

Va to NH via 81-84 vice 81-78-287-87-84

When we were in PA in July, parts of I-81 were closed. There was a long but scenic detour to get to I-84.

EDIT: It looks like it is still closed near the intersection with PA-443, and maybe more construction before you reach I-80. We took US-11 up the west bank of the Susquehanna.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B