RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick1142 View Post
NO, NO, NO. I have made this trip from just up the Colulmbia from you every year for the lasts 10 years. You are really asking for problems on that route in January. Snow, ice, and very cold temps, plus (probably) problems finding open RV parks. The only reasonable route in January is I-5 south as fast as you can (granted, only 55 mph in CA if you are towing). I take I-5 S and cut across to Bakersfield, then hwy 58 (?) over the Tahachapi pass to Barstow, jog down to I-10, then head East. I did this in November last year and still hit snow over the Tahachapi pass, and it is always iffy over the Siskiyou pass in southern oregon, but at least you have some good options for lay-over rv parks. Can give you many more details on the whole trip if you would like. We go all the way to the keys. Dick

ps...as long as the doctor gives me the OK, we will be leaving in mid-november just to avoid the cold and snow. Would be fun to talk to you about the route.

Dick, I am a newbie having just taken short trips from Vancouver to Newport and Astoria never with my toad and dogs. Any suggestions on this route and possible places to stay are greatly appreciated. I have gotten rvtrip wizard to finally route me to bakersfield but now am lost and truly do want to avoid Los Angeles. I am going to visit my 87 y/o Dad who just moved from the east coast of Florida to Old Town which is near Gainesville and he has 3 acres I can park on if I want to boondock the whole time. Would love to discuss this trip in further detail with you. Russ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks

To everyone for the spot on info. I may live in Alaska but have no love for driving in snow. Russ

Old 09-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #17

I hope you didn't route yourself down Hwy 395 in California - snowy area.

From Bakersfield just take 58 toward Barstow then 247 to Yucca Valley. You could go east to Twentynine Palms, CA and then drive through Joshua Tree Nat'l Park to get to I-10 east.

If you want to avoid the Phoenix congestion, when you get to Buckeye MM112, turn south on Hwy 85 taking you to I-8 east and back on I-10 south to Tucson. Tucson is an easy city to get through. Then I-10 east to Florida.

It's really an easy trip if you don't plan to move around and sitesee. Get a paper atlas and that would be sufficient.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
follow Two gypsies directions. Just be sure you have camping or stops planned out. I ran into a snow storm in Ft. Stockton Texas turned into an ice storm in 20 minutes in December. Trying to push the days drive. It was a nightmare, Wreckage of 18 wheelers everywhere. We traveled 40 miles at 10 mph and finally found a place to pull off in a 98% full rest area. Make sure you have a plan other than to push it. Never try to outrun a storm find a place to stop. It happens far to quickly.
Washington T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:38 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctickats View Post
Dick, I am a newbie having just taken short trips from Vancouver to Newport and Astoria never with my toad and dogs. Any suggestions on this route and possible places to stay are greatly appreciated. I have gotten rvtrip wizard to finally route me to bakersfield but now am lost and truly do want to avoid Los Angeles. I am going to visit my 87 y/o Dad who just moved from the east coast of Florida to Old Town which is near Gainesville and he has 3 acres I can park on if I want to boondock the whole time. Would love to discuss this trip in further detail with you. Russ
Give Google Maps a try - It will do all this routing for you very nicely, and is easier (IMHO) than the the Garmin 770 or Trip Wizard.

Once you get used to it, you may never go back!
Old 09-22-2019, 10:25 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Give Google Maps a try - It will do all this routing for you very nicely, and is easier (IMHO) than the the Garmin 770 or Trip Wizard.

Once you get used to it, you may never go back!
Dan, I initially used google maps and it routed me via 80/84 in the dead of winter. Love google maps,for my auto travel but in the Motorhome I donít trust it. With all the help given I have routed us I5 to I10 with a few diversions to avoid major cities.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #21

Check ODOT cameras on I-5 south of Roseburg......might need to use 101......I travel to Quartzsite every year in mid October, leave trailer there at Christmas, then drive back......no problems, and I drive the high country route.....only need a corner of high priced Calif....
Old 09-22-2019, 10:53 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Jan. FL

Florida in January? DON'T GO!!
That place is full of crabby old people.
On second thought, do go. less crabby old people coming to AZ from Canada is a good thing.
This crabby old person winters in AZ and there are to many of us there.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:27 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctickats View Post
Dan, I initially used google maps and it routed me via 80/84 in the dead of winter. Love google maps,for my auto travel but in the Motorhome I donít trust it. With all the help given I have routed us I5 to I10 with a few diversions to avoid major cities.
Yes, Google will always route you the fastest way. But then there are usually some grey alternative routes that are slower, and all the alternative drive times are clearly laid out. And, you probably already know, you can grab the suggested blue route and drag it wherever you like, and you'll get the new drive times.

I will also be heading South in a few weeks, and will go down I-5 to I-10 as well. Once we get over the Siskyous in Oregon, it SHOULD be smooth going!

Have a great trip.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:28 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Check ODOT cameras on I-5 south of Roseburg......might need to use 101......I travel to Quartzsite every year in mid October, leave trailer there at Christmas, then drive back......no problems, and I drive the high country route.....only need a corner of high priced Calif....
What's going on south of Roseburg?
Old 09-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #25

There are a few "hills" there, more or less all the way to Redding, CA, The one just south of Ashland, OR is probably the highest at about 5k'.

Taking 101 would be a lot slower than 5, but if you like ocean scenery, it is beautiful. Since most of it is near the ocean, and lower elevation, there would be a much lower chance of snow. Just check the weather before leaving.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida