Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #1

Vegas to Yellowstone

Looking for scenic route that by-passes SLC into Yellowstone. Not sure what entrance is best in Yellowstone as we have never been there, any advise? Have heard some of the northbound roads out of Vegas are not so great, we have a class B and have all summer. After Yellowstone we will head East to S. Dakota, any favorites? Thank-you.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2014, 12:36 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From Vegas I-15 northward thru St George, Salt Lake City to Tremonton UT and North onto I-15 into Montana to Idaho Falls to State Hwy 20 which will lead you to the West Gate of Yellowstone. When you depart Yellowstone and head east, I encourage you to spend 4-7 days in Cody, WY - Official Website . Take the trolly tour, spend days in the Museum and absorb us the history of the west. If you have the time to swing north a bit after, I encourage a trip to the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument (U.S. National Park Service) and park your RV at the 7TH Ranch RV Camp and Historical Tours, South East Montana RV Park & Campground. I guarantee you will not regret it.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #3

There are several questions in your post ... I will attempt to answer one of them ... bypassing SLC.
1) I-15 North to Orem, UT
2) Exit 272 to hwy 52 East for about 3 miles
3) Straight ahead for US 189 to Heber City
4) Turn left onto US 40/189 (there is a long uphill pull)
5) Turn right onto I-80 east

then follow US 189 north through Jackson and enter Yellowstone from the south.

This will take you past the Tetons before you get to Yellowstone.

Are you really sure you want to bypass SLC? ... the Mormon facility there is quite spectacular and they give nice tours ... there is also a very good museum in the state capital.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #4

I guess I just want to avoid the interstate travel and take a more scenic route. I have heard that 93 is a long straight road with nothing to see or do. Looking at the atlas it really doesn't matter what entrance we use into the park, we will probably be there long enough to see all the park. The Cody, WY and Little Big Horn ideas are great and will probably see them as we head East on our travels.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #5

FYI. Yellowstone is huge. We have been three times and not seen all of it! Love it and plan to keep returning to see more.
Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:48 PM   #6

Krashqueen, Since this will be our first time what do you suggest as a starting point to enter the park? Is one week enough time to see most of the park? Thank-you.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:04 PM   #7

We love west Yellowstone MT and Gardiner MT is great too. We have actually entered from every direction at different times.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:09 PM   #8

Also we are thinking about returning this year and entering the south entrance where we entered the first time. We want to see The Grand Tetons again!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #9

Once in Utah head east and hit all the great canyon parks - Zion, Bryce, Cedar Brakes, Kodachrome basin, Goblin Valley, Waterpocket fold, Grand Staircase, Canyonlands, Raft the upper Colorado/Green River in Moab, Dinosaur, and exit out the north end of the state via Flaming Gorge on the way to Yellostone. If you have all summer, don't miss central Utah.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:53 PM   #10

Thanks for all the insights folks, it gives us more things to think about. Planning a trip can be somewhat stressful... but fun.

Tags
gas