Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2004, 05:39 PM   #15

Never heard of a Bakersville but there is a Bakersfield!! :-)
lcsmith6922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2004, 06:01 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcsmith6922:
Never heard of a Bakersville but there is a Bakersfield!! :-) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Man, I have no idea where that came from. Of course it is Bakersfield. (I corrected the original post.) Thanks for the heads-up.

(fka TonyT)
BeenThere DoneThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 05:51 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
My wife and I have been through Yosemite and over Tioga Pass and back two times this past year in our 36 DP. 12 Times in our pick-up, no trailer. Tioga Pass and Tuolumne Meadows on 120 are IMO the most beautiful parts of Yosemite.
Coming in from Bakersfield you can take Hyw 41 through Fresno or Hyw 140 through Merced. 41 is narrower, has more curves, more traffic, and is rougher than 140. Taking 140 is about 40 minutes longer but a easier drive. There is a short steep downgrade dropping from Mid-Pines to the Merced River Canyon. There is also a KOA just east of Mariposa on 140, We haven't stayed there but it looks nice, they don't allow German Shepherds or other "mean" dogs.
From the east up 395. June Lake area has lots of nice campgrounds and so does Lee Vining, just outside of YNP. 120...8 miles of 8% grade, but the road is wide and in very good shape. YNP and Caltrans tries to open Tioga Pass by the Memorial Day weekend. You have the 8.1 so I don't think you would have to hard of a time climbing the pass. The road from the top, 10,000 feet into the valley is not that bad. There is a short section of 120 headed into the valley that has a short rock wall on the right side of the road. Just a little intimidating but plenty wide. Your rig maybe able to get into Porcupine Flat campground and White Wolf on 120. I don't know about the valley. It will be crowded on Memorial Day. Tioga Road campgrounds will be much more sedate. Where are you headed after Yosemite?
I go for coming from the east but have your back-up plan ready in case Tioga isn't open.
Hope this helped.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:32 AM   #18

After Yosemite, we will head into OR and WA and a daytrip into Vancouver.
My current thoughs are leave Vegas about noon on Sat and head for Death Valley. Have a relaxing Sunday there and head to Yosemite on Mon morning. If the pass is not open, we will instead leave Death Valley on Sun and head to Bakersfield and spend Sun night somewhere on that route. Then on to Yosemite on Monday as planed.

(fka TonyT)
Old 01-18-2005, 03:03 AM   #19

Well, we have an update. Saturday was the first day that reservations opened up for the days I needed. And due to the length of my TT, by the time I got them on the phone, I was only able to get two of the nights I wanted. So, now instead of arriving late on day one (Memorial day - late to miss the crowds), spending two days and three nights, then leaving on day four, I will now change my schedule. I have Monday and Tuesday night. I will try to get as close to the park as possible on Sunday night so that I can get into the park early on Monday (Memorial day - busy day, bummer) (check-in is 10:00 am) and get some sight-seeing in. I'll have a full day on Tuesday, but since I have to leave on Wed., I plan some stuff on that day to say at the park as long as possible.
So, here is the questions.
Based on the fact that on Wed., I will be towing a TT where ever I go, what should I plan on doing on that day?
Based on Monday being a holiday and may be busy, what should I plan on doing that afternoon that may avoid the more crowded areas?
And then of course, what should I then do on the one full day?

(fka TonyT)