Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2016, 10:38 AM   #1

Vermont

What is road 22A like from glen falls NY to Burlington Vermont?
Thanks
Nanascots is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Its good Vermont country road. I usually go up VT 7 even though it goes through more little towns.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #3

We'll be pulling a 40' fifth wheel...
Nanascots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:45 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Our MH is 35' plus a tow dolly with a Corolla on it. I driven up 22A and its not a bad road at all, jut not as well used as 7.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
IC2

I've pulled our now gone 33 foot and our current 38 foot 5er down that road. Decent, somewhat twisty and with a few hills but can be narrow in places. If you have any background hauling a 5er, wont be a problem. If worried, you can always wander I-87 to Exit 31, then to Westport, continue North to Essex then take the ferry for $38 to Charlotte, VT.

Yes, this trip the 5ers back bumper was hanging over the 'stern' by a couple feet:

IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
Our MH is 35' plus a tow dolly with a Corolla on it. I driven up 22A and its not a bad road at all, jut not as well used as 7.
Just towed a 27' TT across VT on Rt. 7 two weeks ago. Unless you really want to see the mountain scenery, that route may not be worth the driving stress. Up wasn't too bad, it was the downhill curves that were the worst.

There's a bypass around Bennington now, so the only significant towns you go through are Wilmington and Brattleboro. I considered a stop in Wilmington, but parking would have to be off-street. Not worth it.

Roger
Old 06-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #7
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Just towed a 27' TT across VT on Rt. 7 two weeks ago. Unless you really want to see the mountain scenery, that route may not be worth the driving stress. Up wasn't too bad, it was the downhill curves that were the worst.

There's a bypass around Bennington now, so the only significant towns you go through are Wilmington and Brattleboro. I considered a stop in Wilmington, but parking would have to be off-street. Not worth it.

Roger
Roger - you are talking about the wrong part of the state for the OPs question and from Glens Falls, NY to Burlington, VT. Bennington is way South(near the Mass border) and Brattleboro is on the Eastern most side/Conn. River, I-91 just across from New Hampshire. You don't go anywhere near Wilmington unless you go across Routes 9 or 100
Old 06-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #8

Bennigton to Bratleboro is Rt 9, not 7.

The roads you are considering routinely handle 48 and 52 ft trailers behind a semi.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Roger - you are talking about the wrong part of the state for the OPs question and from Glens Falls, NY to Burlington, VT. Bennington is way South(near the Mass border) and Brattleboro is on the Eastern most side/Conn. River, I-91 just across from New Hampshire. You don't go anywhere near Wilmington unless you go across Routes 9 or 100
AAARRRGGGHHH!!! I always get Rt. 7 and Rt. 9 mixed up, because NY 7 becomes 9 in VT. My bad.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #10
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
AAARRRGGGHHH!!! I always get Rt. 7 and Rt. 9 mixed up, because NY 7 becomes 9 in VT. My bad.
I understand that all too well. I commuted from NY Capital District to Southern Maine on a weekly basis so got to understand a few of the Vermont roads all too intimately as it was my 'alternate' route.

Actually what may the better way for the OP to go from Glens Falls to Burlington is to follow NY 149 to Ft Ann then US 4 into Rutland next taking US 7 North if he has any question about 22A and hauling a 5er and finding out it's often a road used by the local farmers and their tractors or large farm trucks. Not a bad thing in itself but it can make for a v-e-r-r-y long trip on occasion
Old 06-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I lived in central VT for 40+ years and my choice would be 22a over 7 any day. Less traffic and fewer 30 mph areas. The farmers are few and far between these days, so they won't hold you up much. You will get a taste of 7 anyway, because 22a only goes to Ferrisburgh and you will have to take 7 to get to Burlington from there.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:18 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We are planning a 2 weeks trip late August to Vermont and Main. Be our first time visiting. We are traveling from St Louis. Any suggestions on route, cities, state or national parks, RV parks..What would you suggest for first timers??
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:34 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursion04 View Post
We are planning a 2 weeks trip late August to Vermont and Main. Be our first time visiting. We are traveling from St Louis. Any suggestions on route, cities, state or national parks, RV parks..What would you suggest for first timers??
I suggest you make a several day stop over in NH! The White Mountains area has a lot to offer.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:39 AM   #14

It depends on what you want to see and do. If you want a quick tour haul the superslabs to Fonda or Amsterdam NY then head for Glens Falls and head for Burlington. Go across Vermont to St Johnsbury to Fryeburg ME. From there head for the coast and Freeport to check out LL Bean. Then head up to Bar Harbor. That will run you through several areas where you might want to spend a day tripping around the area to go to things like Ben and Jerry's, Mt Washington, Bean, the Maine Coast, etc. When you head home run down the coast around Boston to the Mass Pike. Once back across the Hudson head home as you desire. That will give you a lot of opportunity to see what is there. Two weeks is not much time to see the whole thing.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote