Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 11:12 AM   #1

WA Hwy12 or I-90 east? Need to get to Vantage, WA

Yes, I have researched other comments on this. We will be leaving this Sept. 3 heading to Banff. Our first night is in Vantage, WA which is about 30 miles east of Ellensburg on I-90.
We live on the WA coast, just 75 miles west of Olympia. So, either route is convenient. I am also concerned about the stretch from Yakima going north on I-82 to I-90. Our Mountain Directory notes a few warnings on I-82 from Yakima.

Thoughts? Thanks
LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #2

Aberdeen? We commercial fished from Westport in the 60s. Still have relatives in Hoquiam.

f it's the wind and the repeated steep grades that you're concerned about, don't take 82 through the gorge. Continue on 12 to Kennewick and hit 90 at ritzville. That way you also avoid the infamous Vantage Hill.

12 also runs through the small towns and the orchard/vineyard district of central WA. If you get on 12 early enough (Elma?) You get to wander through the old logging towns, too.

The vantage portion of I90 is brutal. First you go way down, over a windy bridge, and then way up again. It goes on for many miles. I've killed vehicles on those grades in the heat and wind. In my opinion it's the worst stretch of I90, and I've been on all of it.

Ymmv, etc.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #3

Rodekyll-
We are due west of Aberdeen on the coast. So, we can pretty much go about any route. I have reservations in Vantage for the first night out, but what you said about Vantage Hill is a bit scary. We had not planned to go south to Kennewick. That seems way out of our way. Should we go east on Hyw. 2 instead and change reservations?
LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToWine View Post
Rodekyll-
We are due west of Aberdeen on the coast. So, we can pretty much go about any route. I have reservations in Vantage for the first night out, but what you said about Vantage Hill is a bit scary. We had not planned to go south to Kennewick. That seems way out of our way. Should we go east on Hyw. 2 instead and change reservations?
There's no direct route from the coast. 12 takes you farthest south, but aside from a single steep pass is the easiest. 90 is fastest, but you have to get there before the fast part happens, and there's Vantage. 12/2 is the northern route, and possibly the slowest/most work. But again you have to get there.

The fun way for me would be to do the 101 loop coastwise, north, and along the strait to Discovery Bay. I'd have lunch at Fat Smitty's, turn onto 20e, ferry to coupville, and head to Idaho on 20 (sometimes also 2). Turn left on 95 in Idaho, and don't forget to stop and visit with the nice people you're sure to meet in Boundary.

Of course if you're married to the reservation in Vantage, none of the discussion matters.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToWine View Post
Our Mountain Directory notes a few warnings on I-82 from Yakima.
Easy drive... no high passes. 4-6% is not big. You're going to have bigger going to Banff.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:32 PM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well if your considering US 12, and I would, take it to where it hits I-82 and go south to WA 24. East to Moxee and Hanford Gate then north on WA 243.

Much more relaxing and all is good road. From Yakima to Handford Gate is a very gradual pull then a long slight downhill. Then you are following the river to Vantage.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:05 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Suggest 12 to Yakima, 84 to Ellensburg then 90 to Vantage. This way you avoid the traffic through Tacoma. I've driven this route in car and MH on multiple occasions. The vantage hill will be a bit slow if you are going east from Vantage but VERY doable.