Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Washington Highway 12 near Packwood ??

I am planning a trip from Portland Oregon over to Pendleton and then north into Washington. I would like to go north to Yakima and then turn west on Highway 12 to Packwood. My Mountain Advisory book has an advisory for Highway 12 of 6% grades. It doesn't sound too bad, but thought I would ask if anyone has driven on 12 from Yakima to Packwood??
thanks
Loralie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
You should not have any problems. The down hill stretch from the summit at White Pass westbound is long but not a problem if you control your speed. I'm sure you will see many RV's on the road if you take that route. We came that way last fall, my turbo exhaust brake did the majority of the braking all the way down. Good road all the way. The east to west grade to the summit is very easy.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hwy 12 from Yakima to Whites Pass is a good climb... from White's Pass west down to Packwood nearly cost us our lives :(

Was hauling a 36' triple slide Kountry Aire with 6.5 GM Turbo Diesel, it was new and I hesitated to "mess with the warranty" by adding an exhaust brake... bad choice.

Had stopped at the Trout Lodge for early dinner of roast rainbow and when we crested the Pass there were dozens of daytrip skiers leaving the White's Pass Ski area headed back to Seattle on 12 west. Being cautious to begin with my downhill started in 1st gear and I was comfy with speeds holding at 22 - 25 mph. After multiple "near misses" with impatient skiers unsafely passing me I made the near fatal error to try and speed up a bit and shifted into 2nd gear... never could get the auto tranny to downshift back into 1st gear and my speed stayed at 38 to 45 mph and as the brakes heated up the speed increased !!! For me, anything over 40 mph on that road with a heavy load was unsafe and I was challenged to stay in lane and be safe. Saw the sign advising of "RUN AWAY TRUCK RAMP" 1000 feet ahead, told DW to hold onto the dog and pray cause if I couldn't stop her I was using the ramp...Flashers on and trailer brakes to max setting I locked up all 8 wheels and came to a smoking and screeching stop just 150 ft from the ramp !!!!!
All wheel bearings toasted, all brakes cracked and burned, nerves looking like I had plugged my toe into 115 vac... but alive and wiser !

If ya get "stuck" behind me now, try pulling in and having lunch. I use courtesy pullouts when available but never again will I try and be courteous to impatient folks that feel they are too important to be behind me.

Be safe out there and enjoy the Open Road
Old 05-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #4

been over both ways several time w 40'footer pulling toad no problem. watch your speed and you will be fine. this is a state hiway not a cow trail
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote