Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #1

Watch out for that Tunnel

I am planning on a 3 month trip and will be in most of the eastern states. I have travel throughout the western states with no problems entering tunnels well except the tunnel leading into Yosemite which has a height of 10.5 at the edge and our coach is 12.6 (what was that noise :). Anyway, I have heard there are tunnel restrictions on MH carrying propane. Is this true and if so how do I avoid entering them?
stevechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #2

The rand McNally GPS for RVs & truckers lets you set your height, width, weight and other parameters. As for propane on board we have traveled east & west coasts with propane on board with no problems
Cfyanes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here's one that's pretty well known (and enforced):

Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.

Take care,
Stu
Old 02-16-2016, 04:42 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Propane Tanks In Tunnels | RV Trip Wizard™ | RV Trip Wizard Inc.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #5

To my knowledge the only tunnel you absolutely cannot drive thru will be Baltimore. I'm not sure about Boston.
Most others you may be required to stop and be verified that your propane is off ( Hampton Roads and Merrimac near Norfolk)
We have not been stopped at the tunnel on I-10 in Mobile
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:21 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
After the 18 wheeler took out the bridge on I-5 North of Seattle WA,
WSDOT added signs indicating the bridge heights at the center and edges. Good move for all.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
On the bolivar ferry in Galveston, tx, they need to verify your propane is off...

why, I'm not sure, since the wind is blowing 40 mph there and NO propane will accumulate - but it is a rule
Old 02-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I must confess... I have been going through the Ft. McHenry tunnel in Baltimore. I didn't realize I shouldn't have and I have not been chased down in the dozen or so times I've gone through. Thanks to this thread, I now know better. Yes, I know, there is signage. But there are also plenty of other signs along that corridor that don't apply... like "all vehicles over 5 tons must stop for weighing/inspection". Commercial, right? Anyway, thanks again for the info, Posters and IRV2.com.

For those who want to know why some tunnels "no" and some "yes", here's a tidbit from the above link that explains the physics of it. It makes perfect sense and is worth posting here for those who may not click the link.

Propane Tanks In Tunnels

The following information comes from several sources that we believe to be correct, but because state laws change, we cannot guarantee accuracy.

Tunnels that go down hill have restrictions to stop and make sure propane is turned off. Tunnels that rise slightly have no restrictions.

Propane is heavier than air and in theory could pool in the very bottom of the tunnels.

Most tunnels that go thru mountains have a slight rise to the middle. That's why you don't have to stop for most of those tunnels.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #9

In Maryland ALL vehicles over 5 ton MUST enter scaled when open, only commercial vehicles are subject to safety checks. I have an email from MDOT stating this. I have pulled into the scales on I95 and I70.

2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:39 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
What was your experience after you pulled into the scales? I've never been in one myself.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Here's one that's pretty well known (and enforced):

Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.

Take care,
Stu
Stu is right about Maryland. Let me add that we took the alternate of the Francis Scott Key bridge and the roads you take to get there are some of the worst I have ever driven (and I am from PA). Like the surface of the moon.

Rick and Jessica
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:56 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
This could be a solution depending on your GPS
Low Clearance POI - GPS Data
Dick
Old 02-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandorr2000 View Post
In Maryland ALL vehicles over 5 ton MUST enter scaled when open, only commercial vehicles are subject to safety checks. I have an email from MDOT stating this. I have pulled into the scales on I95 and I70.

2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1
Just FYI...
I just asked the same question to the Maryland State Police (the folks who operate those stations) and was told that, if not commercial, I can bypass.

Based on the email you have, I'm guessing you'll continue to stop but that'll be me waving at you as I go by.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #14

Though I have pulled in, have never been weighed, arrow has always directed me back to the interstate.

2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard