RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
Best route: I-71 to I-575 becomes US76, GA Mountain Hwy to Blairsville.
Best times for Atlanta: 10->11:30am and 2->3:30pm, Check out the counter-intuitive cross-under of I75 under I85 where the two split (stay to the right). Pack plenty of patience because road-rage is a real ting in metro Atlanta.

I don't live there so maybe I'm wrong, but I have spent a lot of time there. And 285 traffic makes 75 seem like an empty road. There were lines 1/4 mile long waiting to get off exit ramps for example.

Just stick to 75.

Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #16

Lots of good secondary roads. I've been thru, and I've been around. Depends on where you are coming from and where you are going to, EXACTLY.

You could get off I-75 at Forsyth and take GA83 north to Madison, take I20 east one exit, a mile or less, and then north on 441 and take the 441 bypass around Madison to Athens, take the loop around Athens following 441, and finally up to Commerce and take I-85 up into South Carolina and then to Ashville and back west to Knoxville.

Round about? yes, but a much more plesent drive than Atlanta. Western NC is wonderful this time of the year. Go to Cherokee and cross over on 441 thru the Great Smokey Mtns NP.

Cross over south of Atlanta, take GA 16 east to Newnan, Carrolton and then US 27 (4 lane) and then rejoin I-75 at Adairsville or Calhoun. Just be sure and take the bypasses about Newnan, Carrolton, and Rome, you have to blow up the Google maps to pick them out.

Another alternative, depending on where you are coming from, is pick up US 27 at I-10 in Tallahassee and just drive it north till you decide to get back on the interstate somewhere north of Atlanta. Its largely 4 lane thru south Georgia, actually almost the entire route, and very little traffic on most of it, and it bypasses many of the towns.

Another similar possibility is take I-75 north to Cordele, take US28 west to Cusseta where you join US 27 then north thru Columbus, Lagrange, etc.

These are all excellent roads, and many have only light traffic.

Chattanooga is the stumbling block, check TDOT website for closures and detours, as there is quite a bit of road work going on up there.

Charles

Old 09-26-2019, 07:59 PM   #17

GA-53 Rome to Calhoun, I-75 northward and get off on the Dalton Bypass/US-41 on the northwest side of Dalton, then northward on Cleveland Hwy/GA-71, then eventually connect with I-75 at Cleveland. I did it a couple of years ago, not bad, better than Chattanooga.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post

Cross over south of Atlanta, take GA 16 east to Newnan, Carrolton and then US 27 (4 lane) and then rejoin I-75 at Adairsville or Calhoun. Just be sure and take the bypasses about Newnan, Carrolton, and Rome, you have to blow up the Google maps to pick them out.

Another alternative, depending on where you are coming from, is pick up US 27 at I-10 in Tallahassee and just drive it north till you decide to get back on the interstate somewhere north of Atlanta. Its largely 4 lane thru south Georgia, actually almost the entire route, and very little traffic on most of it, and it bypasses many of the towns.

Another similar possibility is take I-75 north to Cordele, take US28 west to Cusseta where you join US 27 then north thru Columbus, Lagrange, etc.

Charles

I've taken a version of the US 27 routes. VERY relaxed drive. As noted, extremely light traffic for most of the route. Majority of the drive is 65MPH.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:58 AM   #19

Chattanooga is the stumbling block, check TDOT website for closures and detours, as there is quite a bit of road work going on up there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chattanooga was a madhouse when we went thru in August. It took us 4 hours to get thru, at least, at 5 mph. Atlanta was no problem by contrast didn't even hit a slowdown. But I have to say I don't recall Chattanooga being that bad in years past so hopefully they will finish what they are doing up there and get back to normal.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I use I-75 straight through in the HOV lane BUT you need to be willing to go 70 mph. Southbound I wait so I get to ATL after 10:30 AM and northbound after 8PM...rarely a problem. Traffic can be slow south of Atlanta where I-675 joins 75.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:18 AM   #21

Now looking at Perry ga to Murphy n.c. from the south, pulling fifth wheel? Best route still directly thru Atlanta and time of day? Thanks
lhlee14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:07 AM   #22

From the east

I take 95 to 26 to 40 and on to 75 at Knoxville. Only time I had a decent time going through Atlanta was 4 years ago on Easter Sunday. I won't do it anymore.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:35 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhlee14 View Post
Now looking at Perry ga to Murphy n.c. from the south, pulling fifth wheel? Best route still directly thru Atlanta and time of day? Thanks
Yes straight through in 75 to I-575 (DO NOT let the GPS route you to 400) and I would leave Perry around 9AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM251ss View Post
I take 95 to 26 to 40 and on to 75 at Knoxville. Only time I had a decent time going through Atlanta was 4 years ago on Easter Sunday. I won't do it anymore.

Could not agree more! Ive had plenty of experience with driving through Atlanta and dont need any more. This is a great route. Columbia, SC and the junction of I26/I40 are the only heavy traffic spots.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #25
doc

Appalachian Campers
Charles in Ga nailed it. > 75 north to Ga, use the Macon by-pass. back on 75 N to Forsyth. 83 north toward Monticello and Madison. You can get on I-20 east one exit down and hit US 441 or, cross over I-20 and take at right at the Morgan County Sheriff's office complex and that will take you to US441 (about half a mile)
Follow 441 to Athens and Commerce. Will mostly be divided highway but a few miles of 2 and 3 lane.
Depending on your destination in eastern Tennessee, follow 441 into North Carolina (Franklin etc) It will carry you through the GSMNP over the mountains (pretty steep to most Floridians) into Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area,
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:45 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Never a fan of ANY Atlanta travel

I live west of Atlanta and avoid all parts of it like the plague. It just ain't enjoyable --EVER. I'm retired- have time, and a nice motorhome I don't want dinged up by crazy drivers.

In my younger wild and crazy years I ran the gauntlet through ATL almost daily. Now I like to sit back and enjoy the roses as I travel- and we use this route north and southbound always.

So I always take a more relaxing, a bit slower and enjoyable route around the west side of Atlanta. Northbound I get off 75 at Tifton and take US 82 (eventually GA 520) up through Ft Benning to the intersection of I-185 at Columbus. From there I run up to LaGrange and grab US 27 north to Rome then catch GA 53 back to I-75 north of ATL to continue northbound.

Takes a wee bit longer, but there is ZERO traffic to speak of, nice rolling ride through the GA Piedmont, a few traffic lights here and there, and plenty of places to enjoy along the way. All 4 lane and for a good bit of it 65 MPH roadway. Its worth every extra second of travel!

Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida