RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #1

We Miss Streets and Trips

We miss Streets and Trips, we used it for years and got quite good at it. But Microsoft gave it up supporting it in 2010 (I believe). What was nice about it is as long as you could see the sky it worked. It did not have to depend on Cell Service......

Is there anything out there that is close? Google Maps and Waze use GPS and from what I am seeing they are difficult to pre-plan trips and save and see places like Crackle Barrels, Pilots, KOA's, etc..... We have a iPad we just bought to use as we travel. We love taking back roads to avoid big cities and such......

Any Ideas? Thanks LeeB

Some years ago someone here gave me a tip about avoiding Chicago by heading south and picking up 30 (I think) and it was a awesome trip.

2017 Silverado Z-71 Pulling 2017.5 Lance 1985
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #2

RV Trip Planner (RVTP) is about all there is anymore. It's pretty good but it is not a real time navigator, not that I've discovered anyway. You can run it on a Android but it's better on a computer. It will find Cracker Barrels, Walmarts, low bridges and so on. It locates most campgrounds. There is a active forum here on iRV2 and the developer is releasing patches and seems to listen to users. There is a free partially functional demo. Check out the forum here.

For real time navigation I'm still using DeLorme's Street Atlas 2015. It is also deadware but the roads don't change that rapidly so as to render it non functional.

MS S&T breathed it's last in 2012 I believe, at least I have a copy of that. RV Plan 'N Go 2013 is still available on Amazon, or was a few months ago. Also dead it had an awful real time module but is still handy for boondocking since it shows all those FS roads when you zoom in.

RVTW is what I'm using for trip planning now, it has it's quirks but is very usable

Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I join you in missing S&T. I still have it on my computer but rarely use it anymore since it is so old. I also use RV Trip Wizard. It has a few drawbacks that I don't care for but overall I like it. But it's not as fast and snappy as S&T, and requires an active internet connection.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #4

I miss MS S&T also even though it had some idiosyncrasies.
Now I just use the free ParkAdvisor Android app on my phone. It uses Google Maps and Earth and you can select a bunch (I refuse to say a ton) of POIs to display.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:36 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I still use S&T 2013 for planning purposes, but not for actual navigation. I keep it as up-to-date as possible with POI files (RV parks, Love's, PFJ, etc) from the POI Factory.

Once I have my stops planned I import the GPX file to my Garmin unit, and manually enter them into CoPilot on my iPad. I then let those programs calculate the route and use them for actual navigation. However I always preview them to make sure there are no unwanted surprises that might pop up.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
As a software developer, I use S and T as a model for what not to do when creating a project or when we need to purchase software from a vendor.

How is the product licensed? What happens if your business goes away or you stop supporting the software? How do we get it authenticated? We've refused to purchase many Microsoft products because they could not provide an acceptable answer to this question.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, I miss it too. Nice to preplan a trip.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:22 PM   #8

Street Atlas is no longer available but we still use our older version. Big city streets or interstate exit ramps may change but otherwise if you love getting off the interstates your older version of S&T should still work well for you for secondary roads and the mid to small towns.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
We miss Streets and Trips, we used it for years and got quite good at it. But Microsoft gave it up supporting it in 2010 (I believe). What was nice about it is as long as you could see the sky it worked. It did not have to depend on Cell Service......

Is there anything out there that is close? Google Maps and Waze use GPS and from what I am seeing they are difficult to pre-plan trips and save and see places like Cracker Barrels, Pilots, KOA's, etc..... We have a iPad we just bought to use as we travel. We love taking back roads to avoid big cities and such......

Any Ideas? Thanks LeeB

Some years ago someone here gave me a tip about avoiding Chicago by heading south and picking up 30 (I think) and it was a awesome trip.
I also was a big fan of Streets and Trips - Bing Maps is the closest thing I've found to take its place.

You can go A to B then add all the stops in between - for example

https://binged.it/2Zoyqkp

or add a few stops -

https://binged.it/2MKfiZ9

or extend after you arrive -

https://binged.it/2SsxvOc

Very similar to the functions I enjoyed in MSST- you will need to save the map so if you lose your connection - get it out of the Cloud - GPS never goes away

Just one Man' solution to the MicroSoft profit line - Looking to find a way to keep Word as support for it will disappear soon.

Hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:20 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Amen Skipper! In my experience, S&T was the only program that had a sliding scale of road preferences. All of the others (that I know of) are binary: avoid highways or not. The result is if you check the block it will go to ridiculous extremes to avoid an Interstate. With S&T you could indicate preference in degrees...if you checked, say 3, it would route you on an Interstate when it made sense.

Trip Wizard is my go to for planning and Maps for execution, but, both do the binary thing. Yea, I know about shaping but it often doesn't stick and down the road it starts changing back to routing I don't want. We avoid Interstates when there is a reasonable alternative so maybe this doesn't bother most folks.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:22 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
RV trip Wizard is great I have used it to plan 4 trips with over 25 stops each - I much prefer it to S&T which I used for about 10 years - I download trip wizard to my Garmin 660
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:27 AM   #12

BaseCamp does the samething S&T did and is free, and up to date, from Garmin.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I still use S&T 2013 for planning purposes, but not for actual navigation. I keep it as up-to-date as possible with POI files (RV parks, Love's, PFJ, etc) from the POI Factory.

Once I have my stops planned I import the GPX file to my Garmin unit, and manually enter them into CoPilot on my iPad. I then let those programs calculate the route and use them for actual navigation. However I always preview them to make sure there are no unwanted surprises that might pop up.

I learned something new from your post, I had never heard of the POI Factory. It looks interesting.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
CoPilot is our nav on tablet choice since the demise of SA. I still trip plan on the old SA on computer, but nav trip legs on CoP. Runs off of sat gps, no data used unless you use traffic update options.

Hmmm with new Visible account guess I will try traffic watch when leaving the Keys tomorrow. :(

Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote