RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2016, 10:47 PM   #1

West coast 101

Looking at going south via hwy 101 from Florence, Oregon to Willits, Ca.....then take 20 to I-5 south.
We have a 45' class a with tow...anything along 101 that may make the trip troublesome?
Would like to do this the end of December.

lp5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2016, 10:59 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Tradewind98
I've done that trip several times and it's ok. Some parts of 101 through Northern CA are 2 lane, but not too bad. 20 is good, mostly 2 lane and when going around Clearlake is the narrowest it gets. I'm 38 foot towing a pick up and no problems.

2013 Mini Cooper Clubman
Tradewind98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:04 PM   #3

Great, thank you
Old 12-01-2016, 07:02 AM   #4
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This question comes up frequently so I saved this. Just reverse the route when going West to East.

Take a look at Google maps to see what I am doing. This takes you around Clear Lake on better roads. However, staying on 20 is fine and the view is great.

Some things to watch for along 20. You may see some elk herds. Once on 20 East of Clear Lake you will go past an old resturant on the left. It is probably 75 years or older. Not likely open either. It is called the Oasis. That was a good name for it. In the old days vehicles often needed to cool down or passengers needed a cool drink. This was before AC was common. It was a busy and fun place.

Next just a mile East of there after cresting a hill, look to the left and you will see the remnants of a mining camp. There are not a lot of folks that can say they lived in a mining camp in California. There was about a dozen families that lived there. The old shanties are gone but there may be one building left.

The mine was a "quick silver" mine. Mercury that is. The ore was dug from shafts and trucked to a crusher and then on to massive furnaces.

Enjoy your trip and go slow over 20. Some curves can sneak up on you and there are a couple of grades that will surprise you.

Take Highway 20 West out of Williams. 37.1 miles. Williams is at I5 and Highway 20.

Watch for Highway 53 as you drop down a hill after a fairly long climb. Easy climb and multiple lanes.
Turn what would be South onto 53. You will go about 8 miles. Look for the sign to Highway 29 which leads to Kelseyville. This is a nice road and will become freeway in a few miles. Eventually you are back to two lane for a short distance and will come to a stop sign. You are back to Highway 20 again. This leg is about 30 miles. Turn left and enjoy the beautiful drive right to 101

This route will bypass the two lane twisting and winding on the North side of Clear lake. If you want a good view of the lake go ahead and stay on 20 all the way to 101.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #5

Great to hear.
How is CA 299 east bound..
We plan to head south from salem, or the day after Christmas....looking like the Siskyous will have snow..looking at plan b...down 101 and cut over to I-5 at some point.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have driven it in a van and a car and I would never drive my MH on it. I have never seen as much black ice anywhere else as I experienced on 299 in the winter.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp5151 View Post
Great to hear.
How is CA 299 east bound..
We plan to head south from salem, or the day after Christmas....looking like the Siskyous will have snow..looking at plan b...down 101 and cut over to I-5 at some point.
If I-5 is a problem in the Siskiyou mountains there is a very good chance 299 will also have a weather problem. I live in SW Oregon and have a close friend in Weaverville (on 299) and when weather is bad here it is most often bad there. Back to I-5, it is rarely is it closed more than a few hours and that is most often at night. Only once in my 15 years of traveling south on I-5 have I been unable to cross heading south during Christmas season but have had to wait a couple of hours twice waiting for them to allow traffic.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:48 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I just read somewhere that 299 is closed due to a slide and will be for some time.
We traveled that road heading toward the coast in our coach and toad and it was not relaxing at all. We went over hwy 20 from Corvallis to Newport and it was a good road. Others may chime in on what it may be like in winter but I can't remember any big hills.